Low Cars / Modded car thread.

I saw a bagged Polo holding up traffic this morning.

Please tell me you joined with the other comrades and hooted his ears off? We did that that with some guy in a lowered VW Fox who stay somewhere around the Bromhof/Randburg/Northcliff area. Everyone was hooting and everyone who managed to overtake gave the guy one last, long hoot and a dirty look for good measure. Never ever saw the guy again on the road, so I will assume that the method of dealing with him was very effective.
 
Please tell me you joined with the other comrades and hooted his ears off? We did that that with some guy in a lowered VW Fox who stay somewhere around the Bromhof/Randburg/Northcliff area. Everyone was hooting and everyone who managed to overtake gave the guy one last, long hoot and a dirty look for good measure. Never ever saw the guy again on the road, so I will assume that the method of dealing with him was very effective.

:crylaugh:

Sounds effective. Will try that next time I get caught behind a bagged car.

No, I was driving in the opposite direction. Unfortunately I was alone in the car and there was no safe spot to stop and take pics. I didn't hear any hooting when I drove past. I just let out a chuckle and thought about posting it on this thread.

Edit: The car was driven by a Rick Ross lookalike (looks and size before weight loss), which probably added to the problem.
 
Last edited:
:crylaugh:

Sounds effective. Will try that next time I get caught behind a bagged car.

No, I was driving in the opposite direction. Unfortunately I was alone in the car and there was no safe spot to stop and take pics. I didn't hear any hooting when I drove past. I just let out a chuckle and thought about posting it on this thread.

Okay but we must unite and fight this phenomenon at every instance it rears its ugly head. #Skabahemisa
 
Okay but we must unite and fight this phenomenon at every instance it rears its ugly head. #Skabahemisa

I doubt they care that much. The guy looked unconcerned. I've seen a few Avanzas and Quantums with seemingly lowered suspensions/smaller wheels struggling to go over speed humps as well.
 
I doubt they care that much. The guy looked unconcerned. I've seen a few Avanzas and Quantums with seemingly lowered suspensions/smaller wheels struggling to go over speed humps as well.

Believe me they do, i was the last one who was able to overtake the guy before on-coming traffic prevented anyone from doing so and he gave me the finger and choice words even before I did any hooting, after that I checked in the mirror and he was still swearing. I felt a little bad for being mean to the guy but you could have seen how low the car was and the number of cars that were lining up behind him, guy could not even deal with those small rattle you cage type of bumps.
 
Believe me they do, i was the last one who was able to overtake the guy before on-coming traffic prevented anyone from doing so and he gave me the finger and choice words even before I did any hooting, after that I checked in the mirror and he was still swearing. I felt a little bad for being mean to the guy but you could have seen how low the car was and the number of cars that were lining up behind him, guy could not even deal with those small rattle you cage type of bumps.

:crylaugh:

Poor lad. Hope he learned those cars belong on show grounds and on top of trailers. Nowhere else.
 
:crylaugh:

Poor lad. Hope he learned those cars belong on show grounds and on top of trailers. Nowhere else.

I doubt his kind is smart enough to learn from the experience.
 
only do it if you can afford to do it properly.

Hi guys,

I currently drive a BMW M135i and I'd like to get it dropped by around 20-30mm for a better look.

I've currently received 2 quotes, one is for new springs from Hi-Q for R4000 that apparently rivals H&R springs and another for R3000 to press my springs from a different tyre shop , and according to the salesman compressing the springs gives me a softer ride but I'm scared it scrapes against the tyre and isn't good for the cars suspention.

Which one should I opt for? Any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks guys.

If you do decide to lower your car, do it properly.

You may need the build schematic of your car, which BMW will not give you.

If you lower the car more than X(I do not know how much lower you can go before you ***** up the OEM suspension geometry completely), but you need to consider the following:

- You are going to be changing the angle of the front CV shafts and rear drive shafts, and BMW do not use solid rear drive shafts, they have CV type joints which forms part of the rear control arm units.
- Changing the angle of the drive shafts CAN cause increased wear on your rear hub bearings.
- Endless alignment issues.
- If your front drive shafts are parallel to the road(if it is an even drop your rear shafts will be too), you will end up with a hard ride and unresponsive steering. The hard ride will be caused by the decreased amount of shock travel.
- Lowering your car decreases the amount of shock travel, thus increasing the preload of the shock absorbers, this affects their ability to absorb shock.
- BEARINGS AND BUSHINGS, you will experience increased wear.

Another thing to note, good ground clearance is important in any country, as the roads we drive on were not meant for the amount of vehicles using them today. This means that road conditions are generally unfavorable and inconsistent. In areas where there is high HGV traffic there will be undulations/ripples in the road surface which cause standing water in the road way. I have seen many people disregard this fact and have ended up aquaplaning off the road.

Also, you car has an open differential, if you could that to an unforgiving chassis dynamics, a little bit drizzle and a dab too much throttle, you are going to spin.

If you do decide to do it, and I am not kidding now, have an engineer redesign your suspension(you can do it yourself, if you like physics and trig)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X