Luno vs VALR Fees

Tjoker

Expert Member
Good day fellow Cryptonites,

Any using VALR exchange since launching on 11 June with BTC-ZAR?

Looking at VALR fees, they are super aggressive:

Maker Fees
Luno : 0%
VARL : -0.1% (Rebate)

Taker Fees
Luno : 1%(Max fee for low volume)
VARL : 0.2% (Max fee regardless of volume)

Side note: I did a deposit from my FNB to their FNB, and it was almost instant. Like the GUI as well.

Tjoker

Expert Member
Very very low volume, but I believe it will pickup when more Luno users realise they can save on fees with active trading. Luno is a **** show atm with the order book walls

1560426721694.png

Salmank

Am I right my thinking its too risky to deposit funds on VALR at this stage?

As a startup, I think its still better to pay extra to a reputable company as Luno. The small extra percentage is for peace of mind and security.

BitcoinZAR

Luno taker fees are only 1% if your monthly trading volume is below 10BTC.
If your monthly trading volume is over 10BTC but below 100BTC, then its 0.75% taker fee
Over 100 BTC per month volume, and your taker fee is 0.50% per trade.

FYI Ice3x.com also has different fee structure:

0.5% if your monthly volume is less than 1BTC
0.35% if your monthly volume is less than 100BTC
0.25% if your monthly volume is over 100BTC

With ice3x you can get 0% fees if you just ask for a TFDP (Trading Fee Discount Plan on twitter). They give you a voucher you can use on your profile which drops your fees for a few days.

saor

Honorary Master

BitcoinZAR

VALR has the backing of Bittrex, which at least counts for a bit more than if it was a random startup.

https://bittrex.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...m-in-South-Africa-in-Partnership-with-Bittrex
https://www.itweb.co.za/content/KA3Ww7dlLYm7rydZ

With VALR basically like trading on a white-lable Bittrex, skinned with a new theme and logo of VALR

The only real local market is currently the ZAR/BTC on the 'exchange buy/sell' option they have.
This is the part that has the fee structure everyone is talking about. ( Maker: -0.1%, Taker: 0.2% )

All the other trading is 'Simple trading' on VALR is an exact copy of the Bittrex order books.

If you switch between the two websites, the price is identical on both VALR and Bittrex for every altcoin.
The difference is on Bittrex you pay 0.25% trading fee for your trades, while on VALR, you will pay 0.75% for all these trades. So you are paying 0.5% more on VALR than Bittrex, for the exact same trade.

The cheap trading fees on VALR are for the BTC/ZAR exchange, which is the local part of the site. If you trade any of the other altcoins, its much cheaper on Bittrex, if you are that worried about fees.

See VALR fees in detail here: https://support.valr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015777451-What-are-VALR-s-fees-and-pricing-

Last edited:

Salmank

With VALR basically like trading on a white-lable Bittrex, skinned with a new theme and logo of VALR

The only real local market is currently the ZAR/BTC on the 'exchange buy/sell' option they have.
This is the part that has the fee structure everyone is talking about. ( Maker: -0.1%, Taker: 0.2% )

All the other trading is 'Simple trading' on VALR is an exact copy of the Bittrex order books.

If you switch between the two websites, the price is identical on both VALR and Bittrex for every altcoin.
The difference is on Bittrex you pay 0.25% trading fee for your trades, while on VALR, you will pay 0.75% for all these trades.

The cheap trading fees on VALR are for the BTC/ZAR exchange, which is the local part of the site. If you trade any of the other altcoins, its much cheaper on Bittrex, if you are that worried about fees.

See VALR fees in detail here: https://support.valr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015777451-What-are-VALR-s-fees-and-pricing-

Awesome,

I just signed up at VALR now.

If anyone else is thinking of signing up, please use this code: VAEND7DT or signup using the following link: https://www.valr.com/invite/VAEND7DT

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
Id love to give VALR some love but I wont be able to provide all the FICA kuk now Im over the seas.

Salmank

Id love to give VALR some love but I wont be able to provide all the FICA kuk now Im over the seas.

They asked me for my address, copy of my id, passport or drivers license, then requested I switch on my camera and say 3 numbers loud and turn my head to the left. 1 minute letter I was verified.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Doubt I can ever go back to non-leveraged trading now. Once you get a taste of leverage, normal trading feels like too little reward.

yatiya

Anyone still prefer Valr over Luno?
Which is your preference.

I'm using Valr. I like that they incentivise maker trades, and also that they offer other currencies, albeit not ZAR based. I also like the "Post only" function, because I've been burnt by Luno before when What should have been a maker trade suddenly matched up just as I clicked ok. Very annoying.
What I'd like to see is price alerts like Lino has.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
I'm using Valr. I like that they incentivise maker trades, and also that they offer other currencies, albeit not ZAR based. I also like the "Post only" function, because I've been burnt by Luno before when What should have been a maker trade suddenly matched up just as I clicked ok. Very annoying.
What I'd like to see is price alerts like Lino has.
Ok interesting, I have also heard alot of good things using Binance for trading.