Mac mail corrupting Word doc attachments, turning them into Text files

trekstr36

Hi, has anyone encountered this problem - every time I attach a Word doc (docx) in Mac Mail it all seems fine but when I view it in my Sent items I see that the doc has been turned into a text file with no file extension. I constantly get clients saying they can't open the documents and I've tried to save it down at .doc but this isn't really helping.

I've done 'Rebuid'.

Can anyone help?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Try an app called attachment tamer.

trekstr36

Thanks Bwana, I have installed that but it didn't seem to help other than switch off my photo previews. is there a specific box i need to tick to remedy the Word docs?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Have you ticked Send Windows friendly attachments?

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
Hi, has anyone encountered this problem - every time I attach a Word doc (docx) in Mac Mail it all seems fine but when I view it in my Sent items I see that the doc has been turned into a text file with no file extension. I constantly get clients saying they can't open the documents and I've tried to save it down at .doc but this isn't really helping.

I've done 'Rebuid'.

Can anyone help?

I don't have that problem. And I send a lot of docs to pitiful Windows users :p

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Attachment Taimer has been a life saver - Mail embeds many files - like jpgs - instead of attaching them and sometimes that causes problems with windows users.

trekstr36

Hi again, a few went through fine and last night, it happened again. Here's a screenshot and also of my ticked Attachment Tamer, please see if I'm missing anything? .
15cda3d.png

9g945d.png

Ps: Is there anything I could do in the actual Word preferences? Switch compatibility on/off?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
I used a terminal command a while ago that disables inline attachments

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

That and make sure the "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" option is ticked when attaching files.

trekstr36

Thanks, I don't think I would know how to change terminal command, afraid I'll break something.
Now in OTHER annoyance, ever since I installed Attachment Tamer I'm not getting incoming emails!!! Any idea why this is?
Maybe I should just move over to Entourage?

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
I don't think Entourage is still supported. Worse if your Mac is running 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or higher it won't work.