MAC OS X Update

hassassin

Hey guys, I'm currently capped so i was wondering is there a way to update my mac through maybe a local server or something??

hassassin

I know UCT hosts their own mac update server, is there maybe a way to access that?

hassassin

lol that doesnt work, but i figured a way out a way, what i did was get this program called software update enabler (Google search through the zaproxy) and did what it said on the UCT IT support service site... its awesome :D:D

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Start your download via software update using international.
Then just switch it to local, it'll continue downloading.

Been mentioned here a few times.

limnos

Expert Member
Will Snow Leopard be released in South Africa on 28th? Or will us deprived South Africans have to wait a couple of week till Core releases it?

rapidblue

Expert Member
Will Snow Leopard be released in South Africa on 28th? Or will us deprived South Africans have to wait a couple of week till Core releases it?

Called a few Mac stores in SA today and no one seems to know when Snow Leopard will officially be launched here. They guess about 2 weeks after the States. Most also don't know what the pricing options will be either.
The iStore in Vodaworld said that they will have a R100 upgrade option if bought your Mac after June 8. Otherwise you have to buy it outright!! I asked if they'd have the $30 upgrade option - doesn't sound like they've heard of that - they are convinced we have to buy the full thing.
Hmmm... let's wait and see... :confused::confused::confused:

burn

Expert Member
I will slit throats if we don't get the $29 upgrade option... or order from overseas. In the UK the Apple site is already selling at the equivalent of $41, so expect to get shafted.

adsl3g

Expert Member
Thought you were giving an update on local availability of OS X Snow Leopard..

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Upgrade pre-order available on the Apple SA strore for R329.00
http://www.zastore.co.za/index.php?lm=IGstore&cf=ProdList&p[prod_id]=11924&d=1&p[cat_id]=

And to think the guys at the Vodaworld iStore said this "$29 version" would not be available in SA. As usual, they were quite wrong...

The price of this product should be 236.024 ZAR according to the latest exchange rate. The Dollar has been very week for a long while now and the Rand has also recovered a bit.

I guess Core could have priced this product at R699 or R899 but then it still sells for $29.99 and shipping on the internet.

rapidblue

Expert Member
The price of this product should be 236.024 ZAR according to the latest exchange rate. The Dollar has been very week for a long while now and the Rand has also recovered a bit.

I guess Core could have priced this product at R699 or R899 but then it still sells for $29.99 and shipping on the internet.

True that, but we can't just do a direct conversion. If we could, then the 13" MacBook Pro which goes for R13,999.00 here would be R9,430.00 ($1,199.00) instead. We never get the same prices as the US, sad as that is... It's just a fact and we live with it.
This doesn't just go for Apple products. Check out pricing on any major brand on Amazon (like Sony, Canon etc.) and you'll see we always pay a bit more than the Americans. The joys of living in a "3rd world country" ;)

d0b33

Honorary Master
The joys of living in a "3rd world country" ;)

Europeans also pay more, it's transport costs, the US is Asia's neighbor shipping is cheaper compared to the journey it takes to get to here from Asia.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
True that, but we can't just do a direct conversion. If we could, then the 13" MacBook Pro which goes for R13,999.00 here would be R9,430.00 ($1,199.00) instead. We never get the same prices as the US, sad as that is... It's just a fact and we live with it.
This doesn't just go for Apple products. Check out pricing on any major brand on Amazon (like Sony, Canon etc.) and you'll see we always pay a bit more than the Americans. The joys of living in a "3rd world country" ;)

We pay MORE because the importers here charge us more - because THEY CAN.

Look the price you see on Amazon, isn't the price Amazon acquired the item at. It's also not the price our importer acquires the item at. Core doesn't go to Amazon.com and enter their credit card number then Click "Confirm" - then wait for the UPS guy. They order from Apple - same goes for other retailers.

They also get a discount, maybe not as large as Amazon's but it's there - they don't pay $29.99 per copy of Snow Leopard Upg.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Even Europe gets prices like this for Apple stuff - we're just the same. R329 is really worth it!