MAC Query NB!!

Mjc65

i need some assistance regarding a mac server, a client is interested in purchasing a server as all of her other units are Mac, meaning macbooks etc, in the office, ive found the iMac MK482, any good? if not please provide me with something better & also why. much appreciated.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
What kind of server should it be? An office server?

I MacMini is more suited to that task given they generally can run headless.

Cassady

Expert Member
What kind of server should it be? An office server?

I MacMini is more suited to that task given they generally can run headless.

+1

I know jack about Networks/Servers, but I do know that Mini's are the preferred option here, as mentioned.

Depending on how many you are talking about, the OSX Server software pack might also be ample to get something up off the ground - and appears to be quite straightforward to operate...

creeper

Executive Member
Two current options:

1. Mac Mini
2. Mac Pro

Depending on what they want to do with it though. I would recommend adding some kind of thunderbolt RAID storage as most of the current options are limited.

OS X Server provides quite a few nice features, including mail, internal IM, proxy server, TimeMachine (with allocations), domain setup etc. If you have the developer licence, you can get it for free, otherwise you can buy it from the Apple Store.

zippy

Honorary Master
Mac mini is only suitable as a server for a small business. Exactly how many clients that is depends on the usage. Just be aware of that. The amount of ram is restricted and for some server applications that can be really bad.

vinodh

Expert Member
You don't need to use a Mac server just because the client computers are Macs. An Ubuntu server for example would work fine unless you need something that's really Mac specific.

zippy

Honorary Master
I have a Linux server and a Mac mini. My Mac mini is used a my media server because it has my iTunes stuff on it. I use the Linux(Oracle Linux) server for everything else, such database, backups etc. My Linux server is currently building a database of FTSE indexes and stock statistics. I pull about 500 stock prices and company stats off Yahoo finance site every week.