MacBook Pro Boot Drive

kilobits

Executive Member
Hey Hey

On a couple of MacBook Pros, the optical drives have been replaced by 750GB HDDs and the original 5400rpm HDDs replaced by SSDs. The SSDs were installed 1st, and then a while later the optical drives were replaced by HDD caddies and the 7200rpm HDDs.

All is hunky dory except for the heat being generated by the HDDs in the caddies. I am now thinking of swapping the drives around... SSD into the caddy and putting the HDD where the HDD was designed, by Apple, to be placed.

Now, I have a query regarding OSX... will swapping these drives around affect the way it boots etc... I am Windows based so am lost without a BIOS.
Will OSX boot as normal and all be hunky dory again or will something have to be done by an OSX-head to make it work as before again?
I have seen how simply renaming a HDD can bring OSX down, so I am wondering if swapping the drive's SATA designation will do the same.

Google is out there, yes, but the real knowledge is to be found here on MyBB.

Any information and assistance will be most welcome.

Also... wrapping the MacBooks aluminium unibody in these rubberised shells surely is not a good idea?
Does the aluminium not have to act as a passive heatsink aiding in cooling, and thus wrapping it in rubber only makes the fan work harder to keep things cool? Why the need to wrap the metal anyway... the exposed brushed-silver-metal looks better.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
While far from an expert (and I would rather they did answer here) I don't think OS X depends on a boot order in the same way that Windows does. I think all that matters is that the drive is marked as bootable, which I don't think will change even if you rearrange hard drives.

I'm basing this off of my experiences using Ubuntu, but this seems to confirm it:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/65004/how-does-osx-assign-disk-numbers

kilobits

Executive Member
Ah... thanks for that.

Will just give one of them a bash tomorrow and see how it goes.

Seems straightforward enough.

I am a bit wary as the user / home folder is not on the boot drive... and he managed to crash OSX and lock himself out once before just by changing the label of that HDD. No warning... just all fell apart when he eventually rebooted. It took an external boot drive in target mode and some terminal whatnot between headscratching to realise the root of the issue and correct it by long term OSX users.

Me... I am just a windows guy. :p

Last edited:

Rishalin

Just make sure ur SSD is set as the startup disk. Then you shouldn't have any issues with the physical connections.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10603