• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Manual transmissions

Claymore

Executive Member
I did my truck licence in a Samil 50, and was so nervous I started in 4th gear, and used 4th, 5th, and 6th only. The instructor pointed it out only afterwards, but I'd apparently been smooth enough he passed me anyway.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I live on planet earth. So let me start by explaining what I am saying when I talk about NANNY AID. It will be things like :

The auto box where you have zero control. you down gear but the car feels the Rpm is to to high and over ride your decision.
Lane departure, auto braking are all things that a human should control. Drove with a person in stop start traffic. This person was texting while driving. When I complained about this to the driver he explained that the car will auto brake when required and I need not worry. So he is using an emergency aid as the cars normal brakes so he can text and not crash into the car in front of him. It made him a lazy driver. and a dumb one. Thank you nanny aid.

So I am talking about the electronic aid that DRIVES the car and can override a human.

Please explain how you call a tyre or a chassis a nanny aid????? Even the most modern tyre only gives a certain amount of grip. And I as a human decide how to control that grip. When I push to hard I loose traction.

You see the nanny aid ESP TSC and ABS will reduce power to override stupidity. Not the tyre but the electronics.

My Issue with nanny aid is that people loose the ability to drive, as those system are actually driving not you. People think they can drive and when in a vehicle with no the same aid or the electronics fail then disaster.

People are using what is supposed to be a safety aid like lane departure , auto braking and adaptive cruise control to text.
Here’s a little hint for you...people never knew how to drive in the first place.

That’s why safety aids have vastly reduced the number and severity of on the road accidents.

Sure people can abuse it, but for the greater good it’s safer for everyone.

MightyQuin

Executive Member
If it avarerge is 18 km/h and you speed up to 60 and brake hard and speed up to 60 and brake hard, you are doing a lot of work and putting a lot of stress on yourself even in a Auto. If you just idle along at 20 km/h it doesn't make much of a difference between manual and automatic.
WTF are you talking about? Who drives like that?

I drive an auto and I just merrily idle along whenever I'm in peak traffic. I barely touch the petrol.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
My consumption drops really low when idling.
Once I touch the accelerator though, it jumps up to 30+ L/100km until I settle on a speed.

Newer autos are quite smart an efficient.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Mine shifts to neutral when in drive and standing still for more than 3 seconds, so that helps a bit since you do not have drag on the torque converter.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
When I flat foot mine, the max it would ever hit would be 29.9 l/100km in 1st and 2nd, dropping to 15 in 7th.

The manual 86 would hit 99 in 1st and 20 in 6th lol...

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
When I flat foot mine, the max it would ever hit would be 29.9 l/100km in 1st and 2nd, dropping to 15 in 7th.

The manual 86 would hit 99 in 1st and 20 in 6th lol...
I wonder if it actually uses that much.
Are you willing to try and see how quickly you can use a tank? :ROFL: