Massive issue with licensing department

KCB

I’m really hoping someone can help.

9 years ago my cat was stolen. I reported it stolen and the registration number was taken down incorrectly. After three months of trying to get it fixed, my insurer (First Gor Women) told me they had a contact in SAPS and would get it corrected and then have the car deregistered from my name. They paid me out and I signed the proxy forms over to them and gave them the paperwork.
I haven’t owned a car since and yesterday I went to register a car in my name to find out that they never attended to the issue. The car was never marked as stolen and is still in my name with R 6000 penalties owing. I can’t get a new license disc for my new car because of this.
I live in a new province now and doubt I have any paperwork for the car.
I’m at an absolute loss as to what to do.
Anyone been through something similar?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Make an affidavit, copy the insurance documentation as well as the police case number and show it to the licensing office. They will remove the vehicle and update the system. Not sure if they will waive the penalties though as like taxes, the onus is on you as the owner to insure its removed although if the vehicle was financed, the institution normally does it.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Go to the police and sign an affidavit. Give all evedince you have of the incident, payout, etc. Anything with date stamps will help. Then go to the traffic department and tell them the story. They'll take it off your name

Pitbull

Verboten
I’m really hoping someone can help.

9 years ago my cat was stolen. I reported it stolen and the registration number was taken down incorrectly. After three months of trying to get it fixed, my insurer (First Gor Women) told me they had a contact in SAPS and would get it corrected and then have the car deregistered from my name. They paid me out and I signed the proxy forms over to them and gave them the paperwork.
I haven’t owned a car since and yesterday I went to register a car in my name to find out that they never attended to the issue. The car was never marked as stolen and is still in my name with R 6000 penalties owing. I can’t get a new license disc for my new car because of this.
I live in a new province now and doubt I have any paperwork for the car.
I’m at an absolute loss as to what to do.
Anyone been through something similar?

Speak to First for Women also. They should still have it on record. And they need to rectify it, since when it was stolen and they paid you out. They "owned" the vehicle from that date.