Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It's the first app I disable on my Samsung phone. :D

Also, Sony and others are moving in on Samsung's turf, expect numbers to go down.

And Samsung has said that WeChat will be shut down somewhere in the future.

Think you confused meneer. WeChat is the IM that some South African company owns together with the Chinese I think. Samsung has its own IM .... cant remember the name now. ChatON or something like that.

K

kingrob

And all messages go through Chinese servers for closer inspection by the Chinese Communist party.

You can keep it and shove it.

K

kingrob

Think you confused meneer. WeChat is the IM that some South African company owns together with the Chinese I think. Samsung has its own IM .... cant remember the name now. ChatON or something like that.

I confused it with ChatOn. :)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
And all messages go through Chinese servers for closer inspection by the Chinese Communist party.

You can keep it and shove it.

Yip. Telegram for me spank you, spank you very much. :D

K

kingrob

Yip. Telegram for me spank you, spank you very much. :D

Jip, I heard Telegram is not too bad.

WhatsApp has worked flawlessly for me over the years, so don't see the point in changing to something else.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Going from 1 million to 4 million is 300% growth, not 400%. The user base is 4 times the original but that's not the growth...

whatnot

All smoke & mirrors IMO.

This wechat chinese tripe has got to go.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
WeChat had been developed by Tencent, Tencent invested in Xiaomi so expect WeChat to be MIUI bloatware. Naspers invested into Tencent...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
WeChat's actually really nice - it has great APIs, the richest functionality of all the IMs and very cross platform. I'm not associated with WeChat in any way, but do use all the IMs heavily in my daily activities, and WeChat is not to be dismissed lightly.

JStrike

Honorary Master

No, it is owned by a Chinese company (Tencent) that a Dutch company (Naspers) has a minority (But sizeable) stake in

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No, it is owned by a Chinese company (Tencent) that a Dutch company (Naspers) has a minority (But sizeable) stake in

Naspers is definately not a Dutch company. Very much South African as far as I know.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Naspers is definately not a Dutch company. Very much South African as far as I know.

Nope. Used to be.
They are based in Amsterdam now. They still own many South African companies though (Media24, DSTV and MWeb). They still have a listing on the JSE as well (And most of their employees are still in SA)

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Nope. Used to be.
They are based in Amsterdam now. They still own many South African companies though (Media24, DSTV and MWeb). They still have a listing on the JSE as well

Interesting. Did not know.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
WeChat's actually really nice - it has great APIs, the richest functionality of all the IMs and very cross platform. I'm not associated with WeChat in any way, but do use all the IMs heavily in my daily activities, and WeChat is not to be dismissed lightly.

Taking Tencent QQ into regard, WeChat is more the global version.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Taking Tencent QQ into regard...

A South African pop-punk/rock band even made a theme song for it :D

[video=youtube;D0UhZJ_Tca0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0UhZJ_Tca0[/video]

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Nope. Used to be.
They are based in Amsterdam now. They still own many South African companies though (Media24, DSTV and MWeb). They still have a listing on the JSE as well (And most of their employees are still in SA)

Naspers are still incorporated in South Africa, the new CEO van Djik is Dutch.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
WhatsApp has worked flawlessly for me over the years, so don't see the point in changing to something else.
And all messages go through American servers for closer inspection by the NSA.