Mayday - 3G to ADSL?

AlexFl

I know you advanced blokes are inundated with these stupendous enquiries all of the time but I could really use a guiding hand? I'm an ignoramus :whistling: when it comes to ADSL and can't keep up with recent developments (pricing & tech) in this sector.

I currently have a 2Gb 3G connection for home @ R450/p.m. This contract has expired and is now monthly. Presently no phone line at home.

(I may be oversimplifying matters here but...) Could one of you gurus please advise on whether the seemingly over-traded ADSL/ISP industry can match same in terms of bang for my buck? There have been so many developments in this segment recently that it's difficult to keep up, esp. if you're just a consumer/user.

I also have a temporary lodger (possibly a 2nd soon) with whom I haven't shared my Hauwei dongle but he/they would also like to surf from his/their own machine on a cost sharing basis. Our requirements aren't particularly demanding: Skype video, web browsing, download s/w updates, e-mail, etc. but all of this talk about 'shaping' concerns me.:sick:

Price (personal monthly contribution<R450) vs performance and scalability are the primary concerns. If possible, I don't want to be lumped with lodger contributions after they "abscond". :( Pref no contracts and relatively fixed price (uncapped?) in case someone get's carried away. Hardware (router?) costs could be cheaper from some friends in the trade and shared up front - so not a major worry.

From what little I've gleaned in the forum (there's so much):
1) Telkom Closer 1, to avoid line installation $$
2) :confused: it get's hazy from here :confused:

Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks a stack in advance for helping me make a somewhat more educated decision.

who.is.michael

Expert Member
Phone 0861 555 222 or 021 464 9500 or email sales@webafrica.co.za and inquire about their Titan Complete 1; see http://www.webafrica.co.za/adsl/titan_dsl_special.

It will be a huge speed / data bundle improvement with no setup fees; monthly cost of R299; 384kbps line speed; 15GB of data allotment with DSL line rental included; see: http://www.webafrica.co.za/adsl/titan_dsl_special a DSL / 3G modem combo should not cost more than R 750.00 - see www.pricecheck.co.za, if they are still on special.

Do not purchase a modem from an ISP, especially not Telkom or any ISP that modifies the router firmware (they do not have software developers); should you prefer a second hand modem see: www.gumtree.co.za or your local Cash Crusaders, do bargain!

Alternatively look at: https://gconnect.wirelessg.co.za/shopping.aspx (great value)

Should you be looking for an uncapped account that is semi shaped; you will be looking at a cost = / > R 875 pm - stay away from MWEB or Internet Solutions. (Select an ISP on these two lists CTN / JHB that is the closets to your physical location.)

You are welcome to PM me should you need help in selecting a supplier or modem, however wait until a few members have posted and you have done your research.

Regards

Michael

Last edited:

Diego Tristan

young man, mweb 384k uncapped will set u back R350 p/m (incl. line rental) adsl router = 500-600 new... the problem with adsl is gettn a phone line n a dsl line, 3g is quick and mobile -- no strings attached (no lines rather) ;) only thing is you'll not really reach 100kilobytes p/s let alone 7.2mbps, but with 384k, you'll never reach more than 40kilobytes p/s... 3g fluctuates, 384 is restraining... Tough choice but patience must prevail :)

Dean

Expert Member
I suggest this

Total Monthly Cost: 145 + 599 = R744

A) Telkom Closer 1 - R145

Analog Line Rental + free weekend calls, 30 minutes free peak calls, IdentiCall. By signing up on a Closer plan, you get free analog line installation. If you cancel Closer immediately after installation and activation, this amount drops by R14/month. Details at the Telkom website

B) WebAfrica Titan Complete 2 - R599

Up-to-10mbit ADSL service bundled onto your line + 25GB data. Compared to what you've been using, the speed increase will be immediately noticeable (especially if your exchange has been upgraded to 10mb capability). The extra speed will mitigate the potential bottlenecks associated with sharing one connection between 2 'households'. You've been surviving on 2GB, so 25GB should cover both of you, with a bit of indulgence. In the event that you exceed the allocated amount, extra GBs are cheap and easy to top up with. Assuming WebAfrica opt for the self-install on your behalf, which you should request, there will be no installation fee for this side of things either. Details @ the WebAfrica website

So...

For a total monthly cost of R744, no installation fees, you're each in for a total of R372/month. That's less than what you're paying now, and for oh so much more.
With the huge increase in bundled data, there's also room for that 3rd person to join in - that'll lead to mad savings, or just bump yourselves up to the Titan Complete 3 - but I'm sure you'll cross that bridge when you get to it.

Now the only thing left to decide is how you two are going to split the once-off router cost upfront (Hint: Go with a D-Link 2640U which is approx R650 if your place isn't too chunky... otherwise the Wireless N variant if it is... mad value) :)

Last edited:

Blackhand

These guys here have covered all the basics, I'd just like to add that I would recommend NOT getting 384kbs, but 4mb+. I say this because you've probably become accustomed to the generally good speeds of 3G and 384kbs is painfully slow. You can get 4mb and move A LOT more data for about the same price your paying now, with the *stability and low latency of a fixed line.

*Stable in that your connection strength won't "weaken" or drop if the weather changes, if the undersea cables break though, that's another story.

AlexFl

Just dropped in to say thanks lads (lasses?) for your input. Your time is appreciated. Got me thinking. 3rd lodger incoming in fortnight. Will pursue thereafter.

Colin62

Executive Member
These guys here have covered all the basics, I'd just like to add that I would recommend NOT getting 384kbs, but 4mb+. I say this because you've probably become accustomed to the generally good speeds of 3G and 384kbs is painfully slow. You can get 4mb and move A LOT more data for about the same price your paying now, with the *stability and low latency of a fixed line.

*Stable in that your connection strength won't "weaken" or drop if the weather changes, if the undersea cables break though, that's another story.

I switched from 3G to a 384 line, and no way would I consider going back. It might be slower, but it works, it doesn't have bursts of fantastic speed followed by long periods of no throughput at all, no random disconnections, no downloads that died after 80% was downloaded, meaning you have to start again, no phoning 155 and having to re-install windows everytime you want to connect to the Internet and it's having an off day. Since I got my ADSL up and running I've never had to get support at all. It just works.

Come to think of it, the operators at 155 are probably just as relieved that I now have ADSL :)

wheunis

I switched from 3G to a 384 line, and no way would I consider going back. It might be slower, but it works, it doesn't have bursts of fantastic speed followed by long periods of no throughput at all, no random disconnections, no downloads that died after 80% was downloaded, meaning you have to start again, no phoning 155 and having to re-install windows everytime you want to connect to the Internet and it's having an off day. Since I got my ADSL up and running I've never had to get support at all. It just works.

Come to think of it, the operators at 155 are probably just as relieved that I now have ADSL :)

+1 to every single word up in that mofo!

Seriously... thats me in a mirror!
Left Vodacom for a 384k Lite Openweb Uncapped.
Not sorry for a single moment.
Already over 20GB for the month.

R400 pm for 2GB @ 7Mbps, working 20% of the time, HORRIBLE latency.
R500 pm for UNC @384kbps, working 99% of the time, GOOD latency.

And yes.
R500 total cost of ownership (Analogue Line, DSL rental, ISP)

AlexFl

I suggest this

Total Monthly Cost: 145 + 599 = R744

A) Telkom Closer 1 - R145

Analog Line Rental + free weekend calls, 30 minutes free peak calls, IdentiCall. By signing up on a Closer plan, you get free analog line installation. If you cancel Closer immediately after installation and activation, this amount drops by R14/month. Details at the Telkom website

B) WebAfrica Titan Complete 2 - R599

Up-to-10mbit ADSL service bundled onto your line + 25GB data. Compared to what you've been using, the speed increase will be immediately noticeable (especially if your exchange has been upgraded to 10mb capability). The extra speed will mitigate the potential bottlenecks associated with sharing one connection between 2 'households'. You've been surviving on 2GB, so 25GB should cover both of you, with a bit of indulgence. In the event that you exceed the allocated amount, extra GBs are cheap and easy to top up with. Assuming WebAfrica opt for the self-install on your behalf, which you should request, there will be no installation fee for this side of things either. Details @ the WebAfrica website

So...

For a total monthly cost of R744, no installation fees, you're each in for a total of R372/month. That's less than what you're paying now, and for oh so much more.
With the huge increase in bundled data, there's also room for that 3rd person to join in - that'll lead to mad savings, or just bump yourselves up to the Titan Complete 3 - but I'm sure you'll cross that bridge when you get to it.

Now the only thing left to decide is how you two are going to split the once-off router cost upfront (Hint: Go with a D-Link 2640U which is approx R650 if your place isn't too chunky... otherwise the Wireless N variant if it is... mad value) :)

NO MAN! :-( Waited for dust to settle a bit between old lodgers going and new arriving to order line & ADSL service. Just looked at Telkom & WebAfrica sites to place orders and see that above special is finished?!

Any other suggestions? Also a subsequent concern re. WebAfrica was that they don't have an access point in Jozi. Maybe there's someone out there offering comparable price/service (WebAfrica Titan Complete 2 i.e. 25GB @ R599) but around Jozi? Will hold back on ordering Telkom Closer 1 (which also seems to have undergone subsequent price inc.) until I can find suitable vendor vs price.....

Your thoughts please?

Thanks again for previous and future input :)

Dean

Expert Member
To be honest, your best option now may be Afrihost Capped?

I'm not 100% sure, as WA removing the Titan just changed the whole game... but that seems like it could be the case.

Blackhand

Basically I was just saying that I think he should look at 4mb instead of 384kbs because of a few things he mentioned, like sharing internet with a guest, skype, streaming video etc. 384kbs is pretty bad at doing those things, especially with more than one person on the line. 4mb costs a little more line rental, but I think it would be a worthwhile investment. Of course the stability, latency/packet loss and data costs of both 384kbs and 4mbs outclass wireless completely.