Mazda2 vs VW Polo vs any other hatchback?

RambleDon

Don't know much about cars, and there are so many permutations out there that I'm feeling quite lost. But... I think I've narrowed it down to 2. The Mazda2 (Dynamic Auto) and the 2018 Polo (Comfortline Manual). Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Primary Concern: In terms of safety the VW is another step up, 6 airbags vs 2!? How important is traction control / stability control and tyre pressure sensors? On the other hand, everyone warns me about the polo theft/hijack risk - but is this true in terms of incidents per car sold - in Cape Town - as it isn't reflected in the insurance quotes I've received?

Otherwise I like both cars - both feel solid & drive great - possibly because I'm still driving my 2007 1l Toyota Yaris.
Transmission isn't critical to me, but find the auto quite nice to have. VW torque was a treat, but I'm not a petrol head by any means, so not that important. Prefer the look and interior feel of the Mazda, although have no complaints on the VW - whatsoever.

Finally, both brands seem reliable. Is either miles ahead in terms of durability, service, parts and value retention etc.?
My VW sales service has been good - added a nice (5%) discount onto the list price :)

Also considering the Trendline perhaps - a R20k discount to sacrifice some probably superficial nice to haves might be worthwhile. Although Android Auto would probably be nice.

If there is another clear winner in the category (R200k to R250k), that would also be helpful?
Although narrowing it down to these 2 was enough of a pain :)

Thanks!!

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The new Micra Acenta at R257k? 6 airbags, stability control, brake assist and EBD, you can surely not ask for more. Don't worry about traction control, it is nice but no too critical in this class.

epah

Expert Member
Mazda2.

You will not have that polo for more than 2 months. You are worth more than the trauma that will be caused by the Polo. If it’s not breaking down then someone will probably try to steal it or get hijacked.

Get the Mazda 2. The new Micra looks awesome but they are underpowered

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Kia Rio 1.4 EX or Tec.

More features for less money.

And less of a theft risk.

Wouldn't bother buying a Polo if it's only a trendline and missing most of the features with having.

The Kia also has Android Auto etc.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Yes this.

Buy the Vivo Highline or GT instead of a Trendline New Polo.

Much more value and a better looking car too.

Lol Polo Mk6 is the current (new) Polo.

The new Polo Vivo is the Mk5.

I was purposeful vague with my reply about Polo Mk6. To OP, take the Polo Comfortline if budget allows. It's no longer a barebones vehicle. Best in class wrt a number of factors. C/Line is the best option ito spec relative to price.

kanzen

I was purposeful vague with my reply about Polo Mk6. To OP, take the Polo Comfortline if budget allows. It's no longer a barebones vehicle. Best in class wrt a number of factors. C/Line is the best option ito spec relative to price.

I think SauRoNZA may have been mistaken with it's other designation of Polo 6R (Mk5).

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Mazda2.

You will not have that polo for more than 2 months. You are worth more than the trauma that will be caused by the Polo. If it’s not breaking down then someone will probably try to steal it or get hijacked.

Get the Mazda 2. The new Micra looks awesome but they are underpowered
VW torque was a treat, but I'm not a petrol head by any means, so not that important.

Seems OP is not too concerned about performance, coming from a 50kw, 98Nm Yaris the turbocharged Renault engine will be a whole new world to him.

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
Don't know much about cars, and there are so many permutations out there that I'm feeling quite lost. But... I think I've narrowed it down to 2. The Mazda2 (Dynamic Auto) and the 2018 Polo (Comfortline Manual). Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Primary Concern: In terms of safety the VW is another step up, 6 airbags vs 2!? How important is traction control / stability control and tyre pressure sensors? On the other hand, everyone warns me about the polo theft/hijack risk - but is this true in terms of incidents per car sold - in Cape Town - as it isn't reflected in the insurance quotes I've received?

Otherwise I like both cars - both feel solid & drive great - possibly because I'm still driving my 2007 1l Toyota Yaris.
Transmission isn't critical to me, but find the auto quite nice to have. VW torque was a treat, but I'm not a petrol head by any means, so not that important. Prefer the look and interior feel of the Mazda, although have no complaints on the VW - whatsoever.

Finally, both brands seem reliable. Is either miles ahead in terms of durability, service, parts and value retention etc.?
My VW sales service has been good - added a nice (5%) discount onto the list price :)

Also considering the Trendline perhaps - a R20k discount to sacrifice some probably superficial nice to haves might be worthwhile. Although Android Auto would probably be nice.

If there is another clear winner in the category (R200k to R250k), that would also be helpful?
Although narrowing it down to these 2 was enough of a pain :)

Thanks!!
Purely based on the fact that you want an Auto:

First option will be Mazda 2.
Now you should also consider the Peugeot 208.
Kia Rio is a nice car but the Auto is only 4 speeds.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I yes your vagueness screwed me over.

I don’t know why anyone would want the new Polo as it’s a step back in looks and there are loads of other options if you want ugly and/or fat.

Zenthrax

You kinda picked for yourself, you prefer the auto and the interior of the Mazda. Seems more like your asking why you shouldn't take the Mazda and go for the Polo.

Other than that the airbag thing would be the only concern. Really don't get how they sell some cars with only 2 airbags and ask 250k+ for it. On the Mazda 2 side they want 292k for the first option with more than 2 bags

Corelli

Expert Member
Have a look at the Honda Jazz. Spacious and light on fuel and built well. They last long and keep their value. I used to love VW till I owned a few. And all same problem. Lock problems. More lock problems. And the Polo is very tin can. The Jazz is really easy to take apart inside for moving stuff in the car and boot space is quite a bit more. I have never heard a single complaint from someone that owned a Jazz.

They have a jazz sport. Which is really nippy. You also get the one with the panoramic sunroof thats really nice. And if its out of warranty you can get the parts from honda for a service and service it yourself or with a mechanic buddy. Parts for service about R800.

Corelli

Expert Member
The i30 Hyundai is also pretty good. But from a savings view point get a 2013 or so Jazzy. You can get extended warranty on them. Use the money saved for a deposit on an apartment or house. Sure its nice to feel kid racer, but property grows faster and vehicles loose value fast. My friend lost 800k in his range rover over 3 years.

Whereas if you buy property that 100k will be worth about 300k in 3 years.

XPD

1. You can get a 2018 Suzuki Baleno automatic for less than 230k. Low risk and pretty well kitted

2. You may even find a 2017 Qashqai for 250k. Comes with a 6yr warranty so should be plenty warranty left. Bigger, more spacious and the 1.2T motor is decent for what it is

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I've got the Mazda 2 Individual manual (2017). Great little car, do wish it was inline with the international models wrt to the airbag situation.

I'm a big fan of their design and interiors, the engines are always great and reliable too.

Ecko_1

Mazda you will take a bath on resale value 5 years down the line.

Polo is expensive but holds value well. The Polo has grown up and I personally don't actually put it in the same category of the likes of a Mazda 2.

Look at how dated a previous gen Mazda 2 looks. Do the same for a previous gen Polo. It ages much better.

Honda Jazz is a good option, as long as you are a middle aged lady with a Bob. It's a soccer mum's car.

Suzuki and the rest. Meh

If you are an a to b car driver then just stick with your current car.