Meat/braai Smoker help

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
The sides don't dominate that plate. I like that. It's about the BBQ. That's the centerpiece.

when i braai i probably have a tabletspoon of potato salad and a tablespoon of coleslaw

must enjoy the meat

problem is meat is expensive but people also add lots of sides and less meat

akescpt

Honorary Master
saw a plate for R80 on my feed last night. will add when im on mobile. looked like some ribs + sausage + fried onions + slappies. no where near your offering. but they a restaurant.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
saw a plate for R80 on my feed last night. will add when im on mobile. looked like some ribs + sausage + fried onions + slappies. no where near your offering. but they a restaurant.

smokey and co

was an opening special

they charge R110 for 500g ribs

https://www.facebook.com/SmokeyCo-1124793390872447/?fref=ts

16602730_1465376640147452_6983157719185226446_n.jpg

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
lol. ma se kin. :D you don't share.

but the portions weren't big at all though. how much is that box normally?

will visit soon.

i havnt bought from them

i told you i struggle to pay alot for take away which has small portions

R110 for ribs is alot and knowing it might not be a big portion

but i really want to try them

and not really a special ..normal price is R85

-db-

Whoever said Franklin's meat is cheaper than here in SA is dreaming! Fairies and unicorns pal!

R80 is perfectly acceptable imo for that. I would, though work on the plating.

Sauces look awesome

Just got these muled in from Trumpville...

e367405713908c884bb2c701b38c0618.jpg

-db-

Franklin's is also the most famous BBQ in the US, where BBQ is revered. They have lines starting from 7am every single morning. They have it down to a fine art. Not to mention that their meat prices are way cheaper than ours here (even before you factor in the rates they get for bulk purchasing)

I'm not bashing your plate or your ideas, but I think it's the main reason I never went the route you did. I realised that what I would need to charge in order to make the plate 'worth it' made it too cost inefficient to bother.

RanzB

Honorary Master
You need to read it again.

I meant their meat prices in the States are cheaper for them (Franklins) to purchase. Especially when they're buying the quantities they are.

-db-

No Bru.

'Not to mention that their meat prices are way cheaper than ours here' means their meat is cheaper than ours.

'(even before you factor in the rates they get for bulk purchasing)' means it even cheaper THAN THAT when you buy in bulk.

I get grass fed, 3 year old beast, brisket for R75 a kg. It's K@K CHEAP on a global scale. Needs more time and a lower temp cause it's tough as fvck, but the flavour kills all the offering I've had from the local joints, Hog House included, who rule (by a balhaar over Lefty's) in Cap Town.

Last edited:

Grant smoke bbq

When you guys say that our meat is cheaper than american meat are you simply basing that on the current exchange rate?

Grant smoke bbq

The values dont work like that. look up franklins menu and convert using the exchange rate and then look at what that food is worth here and make a comparison then and you will see that the meat is cheaper there which allows them to sell those big portions. If you have visited the states and see the amount of uneaten food thats left on plates because of massive portioning because of the idea of equating quality with quantity. I washed dishes over there many years ago and travelled around a bit and the waste was heartbreaking.

Noseworthy

Expert Member
Whoever said Franklin's meat is cheaper than here in SA is dreaming! Fairies and unicorns pal!

R80 is perfectly acceptable imo for that. I would, though work on the plating.

Sauces look awesome

Just got these muled in from Trumpville...

e367405713908c884bb2c701b38c0618.jpg

Please link site and how you got them in from Trumpville

-db-

Sorry Grant, I don't quite understand why you're getting at? 20bucks = about R250ish for 450ish grams of brisket?

That's not that bad really seeing as the brisket is over there (Usda prime) is well over double the price on the kg raw what we pay. Straight conversion.

Still a little confused by your point... Are you trying to say wastage makes things less valuable?

-db-

f4f92fb7d5bedd2b34d5e0a77af23f7c.jpg

Grass fed beef from Wellington

Usda prime? R1500 for 9lbs/4.5kg = more than 4 times what I paid

Last edited:

Grant smoke bbq

This is a difficult thing to explain, the exchange rate is just for tourists. I have lived in the first world in a number of locations for about 6 years total and my percentage food spend was much less when your earning $ or £. I found accomodation to be much higher than here.