Nadine888

Hi all

I am a 3rd year medical student and we are required to do a 4 week elective in October this year. We can do pretty much anything we want, as long as we can link it to medicine in some way and can produce a good-quality report out of it at the end.

I want to do something relevant. I don't just want to do a half-arsed project to get it over with.

1 idea I've had is to spend a week each in a 1st world, 3rd world and developing country hospital and compare them in terms of mortality, access to basic equipment by health-care staff, profiles of the average patient that visit each hospital [socioeconomic profiles as well as the general type of complaint they have], public health initiatives backing the hospitals in each country as well as socioeconomic/developmental structures backing the health-care systems in each country etc.

I'm struggling to think of more ideas though so that I have a few more options from which to choose. I would preferably like to link it to Public Health in some way, and it should be an idea which can easily be carried out and sustained over 4 full weeks and from which a decent report can be compiled.

One student climbed Kilimanjaro and did a report on the changing health status of each climber throughout the climb, just to give you an idea of how flexible the project can be.

Does anyone have solid, relevant ideas? :) :)

zizo911

Executive Member
Why don't you spend some time in schools, perhaps get some data on there and their sicknesses.

Nadine888

I didn't think of schools! Thanks for the idea. I'll see if I could integrate something into that :)

KarooKlonkie

Do a study on whether access to medical marijuana would be a useful tool in the South African healthcare system. Many people who are sick in our society are also from very poor, deprived backgrounds. Medical marijuana is cheap to produce and can be used as a treatment or adjunct treatment for a very wide range of medical conditions and illnesses.

konfab

Honorary Master
Here are a few ideas:

Talk to the homeless/beggars in and around your city. Note talk to them, not examine them. Find out how they got to where they are. Doing so you will probably find quite a few medical reasons for why they became like this.
I would say this is highly relevant to this country. You probably might have to buy them lunch or something.
If you want to spice it up, go do this in different countries and correlate the results geographically.

Another thing you could also do is find out is the pollution levels at different intersections around the country where people are begging/hawking. Often they have babies and children to try and make people more sorry for them. Heat and dehydration are also a factor.

A slightly less depressing one would be to go to food markets around the country and examine how hygienic their preparation is (hint: it is usually bad).