Medihelp Cancellation

pieterclassens

Right so I am fed up with my medical aid and want to cancel it as soon as possible.

What I want to know is, is this possible or do medical aids tie you into a minimum term contract (like cellphone providers) or do I simply need to let them know in writing and give them some sort of notice period?

Appreciate anyones help. I have searched the net without luck.

Cheers,

:D

blunomore

Honorary Master
I am taking a wild guess here - his medical aid is Medihelp :)

I think that used to be exclusively for civil servants, but they opened their membership a while ago.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Note that there is a waiting period imposed on a person wanting to change medical aid schemes.

I think it was 40 days (stand to be corrected on this)...

This applies to all medical aid administrations.

EDIT: Ok I think it's 27 days...

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
ok now im starting to think debbie is the blond and not bluno :p

i use spectramed and love em

Debbie

Banned
I am blond killa ;)

Pieter, if you are billed in advance for your medical aid then you'd have to wait out the year surely....?

WhiteFang

Banned
Note that there is a waiting period imposed on a person wanting to change medical aid schemes.

I think it was 40 days (stand to be corrected on this)...

This applies to all medical aid administrations.

EDIT: Ok I think it's 27 days...
40 days is just long enough for HIV to show in the tests or a nasty dose of something to come to the surface.,

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
40 days is just long enough for HIV to show in the tests or a nasty dose of something to come to the surface.,
I think the window period is 14 days hey!

Well that's what the nurse told me when I went for the tests the Medical Aid made me go through when I joined.

EDIT: Apologies for the double post.

:eek:

pieterclassens

I am blond killa ;)

Pieter, if you are billed in advance for your medical aid then you'd have to wait out the year surely....?
Pay a year in advance??? Blimey, that would be about R30 000.

Ahem, yeah I dont think so.

I pay month by month.

:)

CaTcH21

Expert Member
AFAIK, you can cancel anytime. but thats with my MA (Sizwe). Im switching to Discovery ...

usually when you take out a new medical aid, you are not allowed to claim in the forst 3 months, but at times they can be lenient

Debbie

Banned
Pay a year in advance??? Blimey, that would be about R30 000.

Ahem, yeah I dont think so.

I pay month by month.

:)
No chop, what I mean, agggggg lemme give you an example....

My medical aid costs R25k a year. I pay a contribution every month. I have a medical savings account (msa). This year I have already used up my entire msa for the year. I can't cancel my medical aid until the end of the year, because I have already spent allocations from contributions that I have yet to make. Verstaan?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
We can't afford medical any more, so just going to ignore them.

Asked them (Oxygen) if we can switch over to a hospital plan, and received a very snotty letter back from them. So, they lose one customer.

And we haven't used anything so far.

Bernie

Expert Member
Right so I am fed up with my medical aid and want to cancel it as soon as possible.

What I want to know is, is this possible or do medical aids tie you into a minimum term contract (like cellphone providers) or do I simply need to let them know in writing and give them some sort of notice period?

Cheers,

What did MA say when you asked them. To my knowledge if you on a plan that has savings and you used up the savings, if you leave in the middle of the year, you will have to pay back the savings that were not yet paid for. Also be careful of changing MA's as mentioned above, there may be waiting periods. If you can show that you were forced to change medical aids, like being retrenched or changing jobs, then I dont think there is a waiting period.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
AFAIK, you can cancel anytime. but thats with my MA (Sizwe). Im switching to Discovery ...

usually when you take out a new medical aid, you are not allowed to claim in the forst 3 months, but at times they can be lenient
I'm also with Sizwe. They do all I need of them.

All MA's institute the 3 month wait (Law), true that some MAY bend the rules...

pieterclassens

Debbie: Just call me blondy!! LOL

I am in exactly the same situation.

Let me go into more detail.

I went to a broker who recommended Medihelp.

I was later diagnosed with Clinical Depression and referred to see a psychiatrist.

He then in turn prescribed some drugs and referred me to a psychologist.

When it came for payment, Medihelp paid out both until one day I took my daughter to our GP and we were told sorry your Medical Aid is out of funds.

Strange I thought. We havent been going to the GP or anything else.

I then found out that the psychiatrist is covered under mental health BUT not the psychologist and that the psychologist's payments are taken from the general fund which I would have used for the GP.

So now my wife and daughter are ****ed and cannot see the GP if need be.

I am sitting with a huge available fund for a psychiatrist I dont need and I cant see my psychologist (nor any Dr - and that includes my wife and daughter).

I am so pissed off that I want to tell them to stick their medical aid up their asses!!!

R2500 a month, and for what? Nothing!!!

:(

Jewelbox

Expert Member

Cheers,

Medihelp is one of the BEST medical aids you can ever wish for.
Check your book of rules when you joined. You should find all the info you require.