Medihelp Cancellation

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Debbie: Just call me blondy!! LOL

I am in exactly the same situation.

Let me go into more detail.

I went to a broker who recommended Medihelp.

I was later diagnosed with Clinical Depression and referred to see a psychiatrist.

He then in turn prescribed some drugs and referred me to a psychologist.

When it came for payment, Medihelp paid out both until one day I took my daughter to our GP and we were told sorry your Medical Aid is out of funds.

Strange I thought. We havent been going to the GP or anything else.

I then found out that the psychiatrist is covered under mental health BUT not the psychologist and that the psychologist's payments are taken from the general fund which I would have used for the GP.

So now my wife and daughter are ****ed and cannot see the GP if need be.

I am sitting with a huge available fund for a psychiatrist I dont need and I cant see my psychologist (nor any Dr - and that includes my wife and daughter).

I am so pissed off that I want to tell them to stick their medical aid up their asses!!!

R2500 a month, and for what? Nothing!!!

:(
:eek:

MA's must have a reserve...

Trustees are to blame in this case.

Find another MA.

My father was on Medihelp...

Switched to Sizwe when diagnosed with cancer, and they (Sizwe) are very good in that regard.

The problem with the industry is that consultants recommend medical aids, and don't give the client the options...

Whichever MA gives the highest commission to the consultant, gets your membership in the end...

ebie

You can switch to another medical aid without any waiting period, if you can proof to them that you were a member of your old medical aid for at least 3 months. This is forr all medical aids registered at the Board of Healthcare Funders (BHF).

I did a comparison of a couple of funds and you won't believe it, but Telemed (The monster's one) is one of the best for members. They take forever to pay the docs, but their benefits are good. Especially their top plans.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
It pays to shop around.

The government also has a very good medical scheme. (not thqat you wanna work for them...)

The "big boys" have nice incentives, but very often have insanely high premiums, and always have a loop hole when required to pay out...

Shop around.

Look at your needs.

Take it from there.

ebie

Best medical aid: POLMED

Pay for everything, no questions asked, speedy payment to docs.

Pity Joe Average cannot join.

Debbie

Banned
Debbie: Just call me blondy!! LOL

I am in exactly the same situation.

Let me go into more detail.

I went to a broker who recommended Medihelp.

I was later diagnosed with Clinical Depression and referred to see a psychiatrist.

He then in turn prescribed some drugs and referred me to a psychologist.

When it came for payment, Medihelp paid out both until one day I took my daughter to our GP and we were told sorry your Medical Aid is out of funds.

Strange I thought. We havent been going to the GP or anything else.

I then found out that the psychiatrist is covered under mental health BUT not the psychologist and that the psychologist's payments are taken from the general fund which I would have used for the GP.

So now my wife and daughter are ****ed and cannot see the GP if need be.

I am sitting with a huge available fund for a psychiatrist I dont need and I cant see my psychologist (nor any Dr - and that includes my wife and daughter).

I am so pissed off that I want to tell them to stick their medical aid up their asses!!!

R2500 a month, and for what? Nothing!!!

:(
Wow, I'm in a remarkably similar situation. I share a medic aid with my dad and stepmom, both who have major cardiac/chronic blood pressure issues [200/115 - talk about a dead man walking....anyway....]. I'm on chronic meds (cymbalta) for major depression, and I go to a psych. It is now July and there are no funds left. My psych costs me more than my rent, and comes from the MSA funds. My pops has an appointment with a cardiologist on Monday, but now probably won't be able to afford to go since there are no MSA funds are left.

R75 000+ in contributions a year...... and can't afford the frigging cardiologist.

/sigh, I feel your pain

Last edited: