Microsoft blocks Windows 7 updates on PCs with Intel 7th-Gen and AMD Ryzen processors

Pitbull

Verboten
Microsoft support Windows 7 till 2020??? Not so.

Don't worry, someone will quickly take them to court regarding it.

We paid for Win7 and they are obliged to support it till 2020. So they can go fts :p

Origin248

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, MS has stated from day one that they won't be supporting new chipsets and hardware for Windows 7 and 8 a while back. While it's not great for consumers in general, but they did offer free upgrades (now expired) and it is expensive to be constantly updating old platforms that is no longer sold (I stand corrected on this point)

sajunky

Honorary Master
Playing the Devil's Advocate here, MS has stated from day one that they won't be supporting new chipsets and hardware for Windows 7 and 8 a while back. While it's not great for consumers in general, but they did offer free upgrades (now expired) and it is expensive to be constantly updating old platforms that is no longer sold (I stand corrected on this point)
Retail copy of Windows is so expensive that they should afford supporting new chipsets till the official end of support date.

Perhaps they don't make money on retail copies, but it is their problem, result of cheap OEM licences for hardware manufacturers.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Retail copy of Windows is so expensive that they should afford supporting new chipsets till the official end of support date.

Perhaps they don't make money on retail copies, but it is their problem, result of cheap OEM licences for hardware manufacturers.
You can effectively run windows 10 without activating it. The features that are locked are easily circumvented.

sajunky

Honorary Master
You can effectively run windows 10 without activating it. The features that are locked are easily circumvented.
Irrelevant to this thread.
BTW, You can still upgrade for free if you want, just say to MS you are crippled. ;)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I have blocked all updates on Win7 anyway - and I'm happy to leave it that way.

But more concerning is that several of my Windows 7 machines have just started randomly crashing by themselves.
I can understand that something might have gone wrong with a software installation on one of them, but three of them?
Without my having installed any hardware or software lately?
That's just too much coincidence to handle...
Maybe Microsoft is borking Win7 installations to force people to upgrade?

Swa

Honorary Master
But don't they need to update the OS first to disable updates? :crylaugh:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Microsoft is pathetic.They couldn't even give it away for free and capture the market from their previous OS and now they have to do this...

Venomous

Honorary Master
You can still buy win7 from suppliers.
Its cheaper than buying win10

Venomous

Honorary Master
Irrelevant to this thread.
BTW, You can still upgrade for free if you want, just say to MS you are crippled. ;)
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Seriously stupid.
Why lie when there is a way to change it?

Do a fresh install of win10, use your win7,8,8.1 key to activate.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

No one is asking them to write new drivers or anything, just allow the windows updates.

Swa

Honorary Master
Windows 7 is still in active support and it's not MS that supports chipsets but hardware manufacturers. Would be one thing not to release new updates but this goes way beyond that towards preventing installation of updates that are still being released for i5 and R5. Not cool.