Microsoft ending support for Windows XP

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I still find NT4 and 2000 systems in use :wtf: :D

Think XP (and Windows7) will be with us for a long, long time to come...

Avenue

Expert Member
I still use xp when I have to boot out of linux- works fine for me.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Microsoft has announced that it is ending support for the Windows XP operating system on April 8, 2014.

LOL, I'm still on XP on my workstation ... was supposed to be off it by March 2013. I can still see me being on this way past the sell-by date. :D

Dlamaqhinga

Expert Member
At work I'm using Win 7, at home Win 8.

but i know few people who are still on XP

F

Fudzy

Would be cool if they made XP free after they stop supporting it.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I wish I could move all our office machines over to Linux, only thing holding me back is certain software applications we need that only run on Windows. F U Windows!

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I wish I could move all our office machines over to Linux, only thing holding me back is certain software applications we need that only run on Windows. F U Windows!

+1

I have 20 or so XP PC's to upgrade but I must go to Win 7 for compatibility with certain software. Was going to buy the retail upgrade from Makro but no downgrades allowed on retail licenses (I called M$ today) so must buy volume licenses at 4 times the price or buy through software assurance.

M$ licensing is a huge PITA.

F

Fudzy

There new CPUs vs Cores model is damn expensive if you have lots of clients using the a DB.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Why not [-]Zoidberg[/-] VirtualBox?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Why not [-]Zoidberg[/-] VirtualBox?

That's a horrible idea :D

Getting some users who barely know how to turn computers on to use applications in Virtualbox, I'll get burnt at the stake!

EDIT: And still have to deal with MS licensing.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
It's not that hard. Give your users some credit.

You already own the XP license for the guest. Don't need a license for the Linux host.

It just makes it unnecessarily complicated and means I will have to attend to more support calls, the exact opposite of what I want to achieve :)

I am looking at slowly removing the need for a MS server though, I am now looking at replacing Exchange but the only thing holding me back is Windows Server as an AD controller.