Microsoft ending support for Windows XP

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
It just makes it unnecessarily complicated and means I will have to attend to more support calls, the exact opposite of what I want to achieve :)
If you do it right, it could actually mean fewer support calls.

Priapus

Executive Member
Its about time.

Everyone should be on Windows 7 or 8.

For the more savvy - Linux / OS X. :)

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Its about time.

Everyone should be on Windows 7 or 8.

For the more savvy - Linux / OS X. :)

Disagree. From a medium business perspective, we have quite a few XP machines that are working fine and doing a perfectly good job for us. Upgrading something that is basically fit for purpose just because of built in obsolescence is not good value for us.

Unfortunately, our size of business falls between a small business that only has to buy a few extra licences and all that good stuff you get at an enterprise level.

Electron1

Expert Member
Unfortunately many users are creatures of habit that are averse to any big change.
Microsoft and pc manufacturers are taking huge strain at the moment because of the change to using Windows 8.
I have found that if the users are told upfront about the changes, whether they move to Linux, Windows 8 or Mac the change over is easier.

You still get the technically inept ones though that cannot figure out basic stuff, like how to change screen resolution, or zoom a web page etc.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
That's a horrible idea :D

Getting some users who barely know how to turn computers on to use applications in Virtualbox, I'll get burnt at the stake!

EDIT: And still have to deal with MS licensing.

I've actually been quite interested in trying to build a VDI solution around Virtualbox for a while but I won't get a chance to try it in a big way any time soon.

Virtualbox has some pretty powerful features tucked away for this type of application like immutable images, multi attach images, memory ballooning to name a few. Potentially, the effort invovled in provisioning and maintaining desktops could be reduced and a good deal of control exercised.

Because of M$ licensing costs, this type of solution tends to be more expensive than RDS/terminal server. I don't think you are supposed to transfer or duplicate any OEM Windows license from a PC to a VM but I don't have a degree in Microsoft licensing so I could be wrong.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I don't think you are supposed to transfer or duplicate any OEM Windows license from a PC to a VM but I don't have a degree in Microsoft licensing so I could be wrong.

You about need a doctorate in MS licensing to understand all their models.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Why not use WINE?

From a business point of view, WINE is never going to be a supported configuration for proprietary line of business applications. Running MS office is one thing but something like your proprietary ERP system is going to be another matter.

CuzziGa

XP is still the best OS - I'm going to keep using it until my PC dies!