Microsoft Office free for iPad, Android tablets

Um, Office has always been free since it launched on Android....

I'm still using Google Quick Office....is it worthwhile to switch?

Um, Office has always been free since it launched on Android....

You mean the watered down version version? What they're referring to in the article is the fact that you supposedly won't need to buy the 365 sub to unlock full functionality. The wording in the article is rather curious I must, it says users will not need a 365 sub but doesn't say whether that is permanent or even free.

The wording in the article is rather curious I must, it says users will not need a 365 sub but doesn't say whether that is permanent or even free.

I'm sure the moment you want to edit something, you'll have to throw money at M$.

I'm sure the moment you want to edit something, you'll have to throw money at M$.
No. Only premium functions, like creating a pivot table.

From Winsupersite:

More capabilities for consumers without Office 365

Regardless of which of the new Office versions—Office for Android tablets, Office for iPhone or Office for iPad—you're using, Microsoft has dramatically eased the restrictions for consumers who use the apps without Office 365. (Business users will still need Office 365 to use these apps, however.) That is, where Office for iPad previously only allowed basic document viewing capabilities without a subscription, now these new versions offer what Microsoft calls "core Office editing experiences" for free on each. To get access to premium editing features, however, you will still need an Office 365 subscription.

So what's the dividing line between "core" and "premium"? For the most part, premium editing features are those features that only business users would need. For example, in Word, you need a subscription to use Track Changes. In Excel, you can view pivot tablets without Office 365, but you need a subscription to edit or create a pivot table. In PowerPoint, you can create and edit presentations without Office 365, but Presenter view is a premium feature that requires a subscription.

"This is a pretty big shift for us," Lefebvre told me. "It should drive great usage and adoption."

So now it's Google Docs / Sheets versus Office. Interesting and worth a try since Office editing and other features will cost nothing now

Fsck it tltl. Happy with Google Drive.
I agree.

Took Office for a spin now, but it doesn't even Auto resize automatically.

Fortunately I didn't uninstall Google Quickoffice. :)

So I just uninstalled Microsoft office for mobile, and everything is back to normal. ;)

Why are you glad he's happy?

He's being his usual sarcastic, condescending, Microsoft-shill self. How dare anyone have anything bad to say about <hallelujah chorus> Microsoft </choir>. Don't worry, let him treat MS as a silent partner, the rest of us will carry on protesting the extortionate Microsoft tax.

Back