Migrating from Vodacom

walterl

Expert Member
I've had my month to month package from Vodacom on Vuma for 2 years, it's 100 up and 100 down, paying 1150 per month, I can now look at other options without any penalties.
I see Afrihost charges the same amount for 200 up and 200 down, with the benefit that there isn't a soft cap like with Vodacom (Think it's 2500 Gig on Vodacom, but we only hit that once in the 2 years).
How easy is it to migrate from Vodacom to Afrihost, and what are the steps? Will there be downtime, as I work from home and can't really afford any downtime.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I've had my month to month package from Vodacom on Vuma for 2 years, it's 100 up and 100 down, paying 1150 per month, I can now look at other options without any penalties.
I see Afrihost charges the same amount for 200 up and 200 down, with the benefit that there isn't a soft cap like with Vodacom (Think it's 2500 Gig on Vodacom, but we only hit that once in the 2 years).
How easy is it to migrate from Vodacom to Afrihost, and what are the steps? Will there be downtime, as I work from home and can't really afford any downtime.

Hi,

With Vumatel it's relatively easy if the previous ISP has released the line on time and we can place a migration order.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Will there be any downtime?

There might be. Depending on how quickly Vodacom releases the line and we can place an order that would be the downtime expected.

Provisioning on a new ISP takes about 20min or so once an order has been placed by the new ISP (Afrihost) in this case. If the order can't be placed because the address is not released it might cause a longer than usual downtime.

walterl

Expert Member
Thanks, so best for me would be to do this when I am on a week's leave in August

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks, so best for me would be to do this when I am on a week's leave in August

You can do that.

I would suggest only placing an order with us as soon as your current ISP stops working. Our system places an order via the Vuma API which would not require any manual intervention and can have you online 20min after the order is placed with us.

walterl

Expert Member
okay but don't I need a router from you? Currently using the Vodacom one that goes back to them when I cancel

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
okay but don't I need a router from you? Currently using the Vodacom one that goes back to them when I cancel

Okay in that case you can place the order with us in advanced so I can arrange for the router delivery and then place a manual order for you.

walterl

Expert Member
I phoned them today, sounds like I keep the router because I've been with them for longer than 2 years. So does Afrihost support the Vodacom routers model - HG659

walterl

Expert Member
Okay in that case you can place the order with us in advanced so I can arrange for the router delivery and then place a manual order for you.
So I cancelled with them, the last day it will be active according to them is 31 August. What do I do to place the order with you, and it should be effective 1 Sept

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I phoned them today, sounds like I keep the router because I've been with them for longer than 2 years. So does Afrihost support the Vodacom routers model - HG659

I'm not sure if that router is network locked or not. If you can manually configure it with our pppoe details it should work with Afrihost.

walterl

Expert Member
I'm not sure if that router is network locked or not. If you can manually configure it with our pppoe details it should work with Afrihost.
probably not worth trying. I will use one of your routers. Can you help me place the order effective 1 Sept?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
We can't schedule signups. i would suggest you signup with us at least 2 weeks before Vodacom service stops working.

walterl

Expert Member
ordered, order number is AHB1D513B06566
Last day that Vodacom is active is 31 August

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
ordered, order number is AHB1D513B06566
Last day that Vodacom is active is 31 August

Okay Vodacom has not loaded a termination yet we will keep checking. If you do lose connection on Vodacom let me know so we can place the migrate order.

walterl

Expert Member
Can you please check the status of my router delivery, I ordered on Friday 13 Aug so expected it to be delivered by now

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Can you please check the status of my router delivery, I ordered on Friday 13 Aug so expected it to be delivered by now

We only courier the router once the migration order has been placed. Since your current ISP is still active an order hasn't been placed yet.

I will mark the router ready for processing.

walterl

Expert Member
But how are you going to switch me on without a service interruption then? Vodacom switches my line of at midnight 31 August

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
But how are you going to switch me on without a service interruption then? Vodacom switches my line of at midnight 31 August

Usually ISPs load the cancellation before hand so the new ISP is able to place an order. Unfortunately ISPs that uses API for terminations and activation's only load these on the day the service is cancelled.

I have however marked the router for delivery which means you should get the router on Tuesday latest.