Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System

Mzezman

Expert Member
My geyser is also non-essential side and will draw from battery early morning.

I assumed it was because I did not tick the limit to load

I am fine with it for now
Good test case there - mine is also not ticked (Limit to load)

Die Uwe

Following on from the above with regards to wiring in series. If wiring in series and within the limits of the inverter, is it still needed to include a PV combiner box? As I understand that is an advantage of having a 500VOC inverter vs a ~145VOC, as the combiner box is around R2800
I paid R6800 for a combiner box on recommendation from the seller, just to find out afterwards that I didnt need it. Should have done my homework better and not just trusted someone.

Steijn1

But non essential is not on load?

It's on CT or grid.
As I understand it, if you tick "limit to load", only the essential side will be powered from battery and PV.
If not, non-essentials could also be powered.

BadBoyGP

As I understand it, if you tick "limit to load", only the essential side will be powered from battery and PV.
If not, non-essentials could also be powered.
But on the graph post, it show load when up... not grid.

ands45

Expert Member
I paid R6800 for a combiner box on recommendation from the seller, just to find out afterwards that I didnt need it. Should have done my homework better and not just trusted someone.
So on the combiner box, you can technically cut it out, but it isn't recommended. As they have other functions, such as offering extra lightning (surge) protection to the inverter. I am going to include it in my installation still as is better to be safe. I got quoted ~8k but have found one for 3.4k so not too bad.

Steijn1

This graph...
Still a little unsure about what exactly you are asking.

In my case, I run the house on battery during the night. When the geyser on non-essential side comes on, there is no PV yet and the system is set to run on battery, so the geyser is also supplied from the battery because I do not have that option ticked.

I hope this helps.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
It's very weird. So I have it set to Zero Export to CT. Turned on the oven and it shows the power being sent to the load. Also being supplemented by the battery instead of grid.

20220505_113522.jpg

Tapping the grid icon confirms that there is power being sent to the load.

20220505_113338.jpg

Then I changed it back to Zero Export to Load.

20220505_125242.jpg

And tapping the grid icon shows that there is now load on the CT. Battery is no longer used to power the load. So it seems like grid is powering non-essentials.

20220505_125258.jpg

So I changed it back to Zero Export to CT, and turned off the Eskom mains. Oven went off, and "CT" and "LD" in the pic above both dropped to 0. So oven is not powered by solar when Eskom is down.

So this confirms that they are both still on non-essential (which is what I suspected may have changed when they installed the CT). And also that the CT is wired correctly because I wouldn't get grid power otherwise.

There must be a setting somewhere that I'm missing, or this could be by design...

BadBoyGP

Still a little unsure about what exactly you are asking.

In my case, I run the house on battery during the night. When the geyser on non-essential side comes on, there is no PV yet and the system is set to run on battery, so the geyser is also supplied from the battery because I do not have that option ticked.

I hope this helps.
I understand that I am saying

"Load" on your invertor is ONLY essential. Nonessential is on the "grid" or "CT" so if you getting alot of "load" like the graph shows... then that is essential not both.

BadBoyGP

It's very weird. So I have it set to Zero Export to CT. Turned on the oven and it shows the power being sent to the load. Also being supplemented by the battery instead of grid.

View attachment 1303358

Tapping the grid icon confirms that there is power being sent to the load.

View attachment 1303360

Then I changed it back to Zero Export to Load.

View attachment 1303362

And tapping the grid icon shows that there is now load on the CT. Battery is no longer used to power the load. So it seems like grid is powering non-essentials.

View attachment 1303364

So I changed it back to Zero Export to CT, and turned off the Eskom mains. Oven went off, and "CT" and "LD" in the pic above both dropped to 0. So oven is not powered by solar when Eskom is down.

So this confirms that they are both still on non-essential (which is what I suspected may have changed when they installed the CT). And also that the CT is wired correctly because I wouldn't get grid power otherwise.

There must be a setting somewhere that I'm missing, or this could be by design...
Very strange, zero export to CT supposed to be the one you use.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Ticking Solar Sell doesn't help.

20220505_133159.jpg

Excess pv is now being sent to grid.

Turning the oven off again shows a bigger increase being sent to grid.

20220505_133322.jpg

What would be the Deye equivalent of "Limit to Load"?

Steijn1

I understand that I am saying

"Load" on your invertor is ONLY essential. Nonessential is on the "grid" or "CT" so if you getting alot of "load" like the graph shows... then that is essential not both.
I see.
The graph in my app shows total consumption.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Sent the YouTube link via whatapp Mike
So from the video it seems like expected behaviour. Battery will power the entire load (essential and non-essential).

Screenshot_20220505-142203_YouTube.jpg

Unless you tick Grid Charge in your geyser slot, so it coincides with your geyser switching on. Then it won't go below a certain level.

Vid for anyone interested.

You may as well put everything on essentials to be honest, if you're going to need you manage your night time load manually...

BadBoyGP

So from the video it seems like expected behaviour. Battery will power the entire load (essential and non-essential).

View attachment 1303410

Unless you tick Grid Charge in your geyser slot, so it coincides with your geyser switching on. Then it won't go below a certain level.

Vid for anyone interested.

You may as well put everything on essentials to be honest, if you're going to need you manage your night time load manually...
That's what I did.

And then I manual play around during loadsheading