Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
For sure, they have been 2/3 people each day so guess will take a bit longer then. Bit frustrating
Better that they do a good job, you will be thankful and be able to sleep peacefully when that south-easter starts howling.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Every installation is different, some have more issues and work than others. Generally it's good to budget around 3 days, but sometimes it can be more. It also depends on the level of diligence and attention to detail. And some guys have smaller teams.
100% mine took about 3-4 days, a tile roof is a beast to sort out. Also the additional earth spikes etc and proper cable management all takes time. I didnt mind the extra time spent I paid for the install not time.

Hd7

Better that they do a good job, you will be thankful and be able to sleep peacefully when that south-easter starts howling.
100%, not worth chasing the fastest TAT only to need the installer to come out again to fix items that should have been done properly the first time around.
As a reference mine was done in 1 day, 18 panels about 40m from inverter, db 10m away in another room. But that may very well be an outlier - and i had prepped myself for a 2 day job

ands45

Expert Member
100% mine took about 3-4 days, a tile roof is a beast to sort out. Also the additional earth spikes etc and proper cable management all takes time. I didnt mind the extra time spent I paid for the install not time.
Guess so, rather better done than rushed and as you say you pay for install rather than time

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Guess so, rather better done than rushed and as you say you pay for install rather than time
Indeed, I can tell you now if its a rushed job and something happens in a months time and you cant get hold of installer etc you will not be happy.

We had some of the most crazy lightning storms and winds in dec in Gauteng and system didnt skip a beat.

Also had a team of 3 people who didnt waste time just did a proper job

Last edited:

ands45

Expert Member
Finally up and running, all working well. PV pushing nicely to the non essential loads as well :) Took a bit of time but glad it's sorted. Now just to play around with charge times and priorities etc and figure that all out.

Screenshot_2022-05-27-15-05-40-496_com.nfcx.luxinvpower.jpg

BadBoyGP

Finally up and running, all working well. PV pushing nicely to the non essential loads as well :) Took a bit of time but glad it's sorted. Now just to play around with charge times and priorities etc and figure that all out.

View attachment 1316538
Just checking you exporting...

If you in jhb we cannot, it might count as usage.

ands45

Expert Member
Nice. Congrats. Give us the review, specs, et. al of the inverter.
Up and running for a week now and very impressed with the unit so far. The inverter is the Luxpower LXP 5k, with 1 Dyness battery and 8x545w panels.

It blends from all 3 sources seamlessly, I've set the priority to PV, Battery, then AC. It draws from the battery for non-essential side as well, probably is a setting for it, but I am fine with that. Will just adjust the SOC cut-off levels when night time load shedding is expected (as you can set different levels for when on-grid or off-grid). The web and app monitoring are great, with loads of information, and you can manage all configuration. There is a couple minutes delay in updates but not really an issue.

Haven't tested the EPS yet as we haven't had any loadshedding this week, but hopefully should be seemless. Also the unit is dead silent, even with max load

Such a great feeling to have all daytime load covered by the system, except now and then when heavy load and it needs to import a bit like below.

1654258074884.png

For anyone interested in the specs:

1654259033501.png

Saba'a

Executive Member
Up and running for a week now and very impressed with the unit so far. The inverter is the Luxpower LXP 5k, with 1 Dyness battery and 8x545w panels.

It blends from all 3 sources seamlessly, I've set the priority to PV, Battery, then AC. It draws from the battery for non-essential side as well, probably is a setting for it, but I am fine with that. Will just adjust the SOC cut-off levels when night time load shedding is expected (as you can set different levels for when on-grid or off-grid). The web and app monitoring are great, with loads of information, and you can manage all configuration. There is a couple minutes delay in updates but not really an issue.

Haven't tested the EPS yet as we haven't had any loadshedding this week, but hopefully should be seemless. Also the unit is dead silent, even with max load

Such a great feeling to have all daytime load covered by the system, except now and then when heavy load and it needs to import a bit like below.

View attachment 1321948

For anyone interested in the specs:

View attachment 1321970
Cool. Will be interesting to compare.

Please create thread to follow ito production and usage.

ands45

Expert Member
Question on insurance, is there generally anything additional needed for your building insurance with a solar installation?

I phoned Santam and they said I just need to check the insured value is adequate (and have a valid CoC) but my broker said I should add accidental cover to fixed machinery. This is an extra cost which I would prefer to avoid if not necessary but also don't want to have an issue down the line. Thanks

Mzezman

Expert Member
Question on insurance, is there generally anything additional needed for your building insurance with a solar installation?

I phoned Santam and they said I just need to check the insured value is adequate (and have a valid CoC) but my broker said I should add accidental cover to fixed machinery. This is an extra cost which I would prefer to avoid if not necessary but also don't want to have an issue down the line. Thanks
I didnt have to add anything once confirmed that the cover was enough

Katelknaap

Depends on your needs. I'm also with Santam. It's covered automatically as a fixture of the building against the standard Insured events/perils (fire, storm, theft, etc). If it breaks down electronically, electrically or mechanically, you need that optional accidental damage to fixed machinery cover.

ands45

Expert Member
Depends on your needs. I'm also with Santam. It's covered automatically as a fixture of the building against the standard Insured events/perils (fire, storm, theft, etc). If it breaks down electronically, electrically or mechanically, you need that optional accidental damage to fixed machinery cover.
Thanks, that helps explain it. Possibly worth having it then, will see

Katelknaap

Thanks, that helps explain it. Possibly worth having it then, will see
Most definitely is worth it, also covers your other fixed machinery like garage door & gate motors, stoves, aircons, pool pumps, etc. You decide how much cover you want and pay an extra premium on that amount. I think it's about R 10 per R 1000 of cover, so about R 100 / month for R 10k cover.

Last edited: