Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System

ands45

Expert Member
Most definitely is worth it, also covers your other fixed machinery like garage door & gate motors, stoves, aircons, pool pumps, etc. You decide how cover you want and pay an extra premium on that amount. I think it's about R 10 per R 1000 of cover, so about R 100 / month for R 10k cover.
Ya that definitely makes it worth while, didn't think of other items like that being covered as well

Superjakes

Expert Member
Have the same. Schedule looks like this.

View attachment 1303712
Thinking about it now, I prefer having the battery get me to morning. Would hate to have an outage at 4am, geyser wakes up at 5am and drains the battery flat before sunrise...
Hello there, please welcome me in your midst. I have experienced exactly that, this morning - system shut down completely while I waited for dear old ADR to end the load shedding session. Wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for all the inputs on this thread, though. Steep learning curve.

ands45

Expert Member
Most definitely is worth it, also covers your other fixed machinery like garage door & gate motors, stoves, aircons, pool pumps, etc. You decide how much cover you want and pay an extra premium on that amount. I think it's about R 10 per R 1000 of cover, so about R 100 / month for R 10k cover.
So the extra premium is only R75 a month for R100k cover which seems very decent

Katelknaap

So the extra premium is only R75 a month for R100k cover which seems very decent
R 100k cover is playing it very safe. Chances of items up to that value all breaking at the same time or one item being that expensive failing, is very unlikely.

The most expensive item in my house that would fall within that cover, would probably be the Hubble battery that I've just bought recently. For most of my items, R 30k cover would be more than enough.

Also check your policy's definition of "fixed machinery". It might not include solar equipment. I know my Santam policy till a few years ago didn't. Some insurers might not have expanded their coverages to keep up with the times.

ands45

Expert Member
R 100k cover is playing it very safe. Chances of items up to that value all breaking at the same time or one item being that expensive failing, is very unlikely.

The most expensive item in my house that would fall within that cover, would probably be the Hubble battery that I've just bought recently. For most of my items, R 30k cover would be more than enough.

Also check your policy's definition of "fixed machinery". It might not include solar equipment. I know my Santam policy till a few years ago didn't. Some insurers might not have expanded their coverages to keep up with the times.
It's only R75 so not really an issue, to save maybe 30 or 40 a month and possibly not be fully covered. I went with R100k cause that's the total cost of my install. I'm with Santam and my broker knows that's what the cover is for so sure it should be included but will double check the policy tomorrow.

Also want to add to the system in future so then won't need to update the insurance

Katelknaap

It's only R75 so not really an issue, to save maybe 30 or 40 a month and possibly not be fully covered. I went with R100k cause that's the total cost of my install. I'm with Santam and my broker knows that's what the cover is for so sure it should be included but will double check the policy tomorrow.

Also want to add to the system in future so then won't need to update the insurance
If you are with Santam you are sorted. Just make sure you have enough Powersurge cover as well as that's separate from the Accidental Damage cover.
Better yet, ask your broker about their Executive product and if you qualify.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Upgrade time next month. Have about 70k to play with until next year.

Do I go with 2 more batteries, or 1 battery and 6 panels?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
shuuu... choices choices

Solar Advice >>
View attachment 1355260

Solar Suppliers>>
View attachment 1355262

then add sundries and labour to install?
Yeah that's why I'm thinking 60k excl sundries and installation. It leaves 10k for that. So it's either 2 batteries, or 1 battery & 6 panels.

The concern with going for 2 batteries is not having enough PV to run load and charge batteries.

Going with 1 battery and 6 panels maxes out the panels for the inverter, and gives an ok boost to night time use. Might still fall a bit short for next year winter, but there's at least a better chance of getting 1 more battery next year than the same panels.

Or am I smoking something?

Mzezman

Expert Member
Or best of both worlds, 2 batteries + 4 panels ? 8k of panels is not small (9 per string should be within tolerance?)

1658949916874.png

The Door

Honorary Master

Is solar covered under household contents or building? Given that geyser is under building I would have thought building...

Speedster

Honorary Master
Upgrade time next month. Have about 70k to play with until next year.

Do I go with 2 more batteries, or 1 battery and 6 panels?
I'm in a position where I struggle to get my batteries charged most days (9.6kWh on a 6kWp array). So, in my case, adding another battery would be futile. So my suggestion to you would be to first make sure you have enough panels to cover your consumption on most days (obviously excluding overcast days etc) before adding more batteries. It only makes sense to add more batteries if you have sufficient PV to actually charge them.

ands45

Expert Member
Is solar covered under household contents or building? Given that geyser is under building I would have thought building...
As others have mentioned, it falls under building. You just need to check your cover amount covers the additional value of the solar

TedLasso

Expert Member
Yeah that's why I'm thinking 60k excl sundries and installation. It leaves 10k for that. So it's either 2 batteries, or 1 battery & 6 panels.

The concern with going for 2 batteries is not having enough PV to run load and charge batteries.

Going with 1 battery and 6 panels maxes out the panels for the inverter, and gives an ok boost to night time use. Might still fall a bit short for next year winter, but there's at least a better chance of getting 1 more battery next year than the same panels.

Or am I smoking something?
Seems logical .. at least this way, you know you at max PV ... but I would recommend to go for the highest W panels you can find that work within the constraints of your MPPT thresholds. I seriously am chuffed with the 8 x 545w I have, but the next set will be 645 or higher (if possible).

TedLasso

Expert Member
As others have mentioned, it falls under building. You just need to check your cover amount covers the additional value of the solar
FWIW, am with Naked and they just asked me to update building value by the amount of installation via the email. But they work in 250K increments so that's what I did. I also for good measure sent them the pics of the install and the COC via a support request which they added somewhere (not possible to do via app).

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I'm in a position where I struggle to get my batteries charged most days (9.6kWh on a 6kWp array). So, in my case, adding another battery would be futile. So my suggestion to you would be to first make sure you have enough panels to cover your consumption on most days (obviously excluding overcast days etc) before adding more batteries. It only makes sense to add more batteries if you have sufficient PV to actually charge them.
I've got 6.3 kWp feeding 9.6 kWh as well. You'll find charging in summer to be no issue, should be done by 10/11 because of the longer days and lower load.

The issue is winter, which is why I'm leaning towards maxing out the panels and just one battery. It might be a stretch for 6.3 kWp to charge a 19.2 kWh bank for most of the year...

ands45

Expert Member
FWIW, am with Naked and they just asked me to update building value by the amount of installation via the email. But they work in 250K increments so that's what I did. I also for good measure sent them the pics of the install and the COC via a support request which they added somewhere (not possible to do via app).
I luckily could just increase by the 100k I spent, also sent my CoC and invoices just so they have it

ands45

Expert Member
Seems logical .. at least this way, you know you at max PV ... but I would recommend to go for the highest W panels you can find that work within the constraints of your MPPT thresholds. I seriously am chuffed with the 8 x 545w I have, but the next set will be 645 or higher (if possible).
Also have 8 x 545w, working very well but would like to add 2 more to round out 5kwp so I can try avoid battery discharge when the geyser etc comes on.