Misrepresentation on International Roaming

Unodewaal

I recently travelled to Italy, on arriving in the country I received an SMS informing me of the roaming charges - R10/min, R3/SMS, R10/MB. I checked this on the website too: https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/international-roaming
The SMS I received confirmed the network I was on (Italy Telecom). See attachment. I never received another SMS informing me of the change of roaming network.

I made an informed decision to use data, only using maps or Whatsapp when I needed to, and carefully monitoring my usage with my data management tools on my phone. I used around 48mb, expecting a bill of ~R480 additional to my contract.

I received a bill shock of R5,500 - essentially a billing of R100/mb and not R10/mb.

No one at Cell C can claim to help me on this and I get passed from department to department, I keep getting a data validation request saying that "you used 48MB" which is not in dispute - we all agree on that. What is in dispute is the amount charged per MB. No one can show me that I was on a different network, or that I was informed that I was on a different network and that I could make the decision to switch roaming partners.

Has anyone had any luck with something like this? Who does one speak to?

Attachments

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I recently travelled to Italy, on arriving in the country I received an SMS informing me of the roaming charges - R10/min, R3/SMS, R10/MB. I checked this on the website too: https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/international-roaming
The SMS I received confirmed the network I was on (Italy Telecom). See attachment. I never received another SMS informing me of the change of roaming network.

I made an informed decision to use data, only using maps or Whatsapp when I needed to, and carefully monitoring my usage with my data management tools on my phone. I used around 48mb, expecting a bill of ~R480 additional to my contract.

I received a bill shock of R5,500 - essentially a billing of R100/mb and not R10/mb.

No one at Cell C can claim to help me on this and I get passed from department to department, I keep getting a data validation request saying that "you used 48MB" which is not in dispute - we all agree on that. What is in dispute is the amount charged per MB. No one can show me that I was on a different network, or that I was informed that I was on a different network and that I could make the decision to switch roaming partners.

Has anyone had any luck with something like this? Who does one speak to?
Hi Unodewaal

Please PM us the number in question/ID number and a number that we can reach you on.

^MP