Most common scams on the web

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Saw one of the most well executed scams last night. Its called Satellite Direct - apparently they offer you software that can view thousands of HD tv channels from around the world, all for a once-off fee of +-$50. What you do get is some crappy software that is hardly close to what is advertised. What is the clever part is that they have flooded the internet with false reviews of the product, claiming that it works so great and they glad they purchased it. Was trying to look for a "real" review and came across a video on youtube which sums it up nicely.

DJ...

Banned
Saw one of the most well executed scams last night. Its called Satellite Direct - apparently they offer you software that can view thousands of HD tv channels from around the world, all for a once-off fee of +-$50. What you do get is some crappy software that is hardly close to what is advertised. What is the clever part is that they have flooded the internet with false reviews of the product, claiming that it works so great and they glad they purchased it. Was trying to look for a "real" review and came across a video on youtube which sums it up nicely.
They advertise all over Facebook...

Avenue

Expert Member
the one that Im most concerned about is one I heard about the other day, where they buy something from you, transfer the money, so you actually have proof of payment, and then somehow reverse that payment. How is that even possible- anyone have some advice about avoiding that one.

getafix33

Expert Member
Call me paranoid, but why whenever a scam, sindicate, drugs, gangs are discovered there are allows Nigerians involved or at the centre of it.

zamicro

Expert Member
Nice article to send to my friends and family, so they can start thinking for themselves.

JazzeD

Happened to a friend of mine. Well he waited a few days before giving over the goods so he did not lose anything.

Apparently in Standard Bank Internet banking you can make a "Test" transaction which comes up looking authorized on the other side, and then just disappears after a few days.

the one that Im most concerned about is one I heard about the other day, where they buy something from you, transfer the money, so you actually have proof of payment, and then somehow reverse that payment. How is that even possible- anyone have some advice about avoiding that one.