Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only managed to watch half of Her so far... and it is a rather exquisitely done film. Kudos, Spike Jonze.

Did you manage to find a decent...copy? I'm very impatient to get this but won't settle for subpar reproduction. I'm a huge Spike Jonze fan.
 
Did you manage to find a decent...copy? I'm very impatient to get this but won't settle for subpar reproduction. I'm a huge Spike Jonze fan.

The "copy" is decent. Do yourself a favour and get it- the barely intrusive notices are a minor annoyance. But this definitely is a movie for the collection.

What stands out to my mind (so far) is the way that he handled the cinematography. It may not have the sheer scale and visceral beauty that Gravity had, but it is exquisite nonetheless. It's that appreciably nuanced approach, that is very rare nowadays (and something that I have not seen in a good while). His usage of lighting and camera angle as ancillary features to each scene (not to mention the very underappreciated soundtrack), hugely impress me. I certainly need to give the rest of his films a once over.

I am rather keen to finish this film. I do have a tiny, tiny disappointment (that has eased as the film progressed) but that will be reviewed upon my completion of the film.
 
The "copy" is decent. Do yourself a favour and get it- the barely intrusive notices are a minor annoyance. But this definitely is a movie for the collection.

What stands out to my mind (so far) is the way that he handled the cinematography. It may not have the sheer scale and visceral beauty that Gravity had, but it is exquisite nonetheless. It's that appreciably nuanced approach, that is very rare nowadays (and something that I have not seen in a good while). His usage of lighting and camera angle as ancillary features to each scene (not to mention the very underappreciated soundtrack), hugely impress me. I certainly need to give the rest of his films a once over.

I am rather keen to finish this film. I do have a tiny, tiny disappointment (that has eased as the film progressed) but that will be reviewed upon my completion of the film.

Well, Being John Malkovich is a masterpiece. Where the Wild Things Are is ... I'm not sure actually how I feel about it. And Adaptation I didn't really like as much. And his music videos and short films are all brilliant and worth downloading the whole lot and sitting through.

[video=youtube;i2hTt2FxIYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hTt2FxIYw[/video]
 
Escape Plan: -1/10. Another ****ty overrated movie :mad: I should stop trusting IMDB and you guys.
 
These are the cinema movies I have seen so far in 2014

  • Blue Jasmine: 9.2 / 10
  • The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty: 6.8 / 10
  • The Book Thief: 9.6 / 10
 
Last edited:
The Hunger Games - Catching Fire - 4/10

No idea why this franchise is so popular, I would rather watch Twighlight than this crap.
 
Grudge Match - 5/10

Good film. Predictable. Nothing special. Some good laughs though :)
 
Just watched Escape plan with Stallone and Schwarzenegger and it was surprisingly good. One of the better movies I've seen in a long time!

I'd give it a good 9/10!

Escape Plan: -1/10. Another ****ty overrated movie :mad: I should stop trusting IMDB and you guys.

LOL

I haven't watched it and doubt that I ever will.
 
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 7.5/10 Really enjoyed this.

Frozen - 6.5/10 Too much singing

Captain Phillips 7/10
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X