Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apologies for the possible spoiler.

Give it a watch though. I was just rather unhappy with the way certain and rather pertinent points tied into the greater story, were completely left out of the climax.

I've decided to wait for a decent copy of Her and if it was going to be shown at the cinema I'd gladly pay to see it. That, The Wind Rises, and Inside Llewyn Davis are pretty much all I'm excited to see right now.

Ster Kinekor are releasing it on Valentine's Day. I might actually be able to convince the SO to go with me :D (she doesn't enjoy film watching as much as I do, but is a fan of Joaquin Phoenix).
 
Frozen - 6/10

Nice story but it lacked some humour for me. The constant singing did become a bit much at times.
 
I watched 'All is Lost' yesterday.

Odd movie, Redford had to really learn his lines well.

One of those flicks that I liked but cannot say really why.
 
Harry Potter books were awesome, the movies, not so much...
 
12 Years a Slave - 8/10. Reminds me why I watch movies alone. People screaming at the screen, telling the MC to whip the slavemaster. I had to tell my mom to quiet down.
 
I watched Captain Phillips last night and I give it a 9/10, the ending left me in awe
Tom Hanks is great, he is probably the only actor that can make you cry over a volleyball ball

9/10 here as well. Tom nailed that final scene with the nurse.

Somali actor was also good.
 
I watched 'All is Lost' yesterday.

Odd movie, Redford had to really learn his lines well.

One of those flicks that I liked but cannot say really why.

Yeah, very simple story. Not the best movie every made, but couldn't stop watching to see what happened next.

Can't help but compare it to Gravity i.e. Triumph of the Human Spirit and so on. If I had to chose one though, I preferred All is Lost.
 
Her- 9/10

The cinematography is beautiful- Jonze' attention to detail in building his vision of LA, was wonderful to look at. His use of colour, light and camera positioning to help convey a mood or set a scene, add to the film's viewability. It does at times make you feel that his world is too beautiful and too perfect- but it is a minor criticism, and it is more of an allegory that artificial perfection does not ensure happiness.

The score was exquisite- kudos to Arcade Fire, as it matched the scenery of the movie wonderfully.

Joaquin Phoenix turns in a fantastic performance- his loneliness and heartache are palpable, as too are his later moments of bliss and eventual catharsis. His portrayal of someone truly in love with an artificial being was excellently done, and at no point did it come across as forced. It is a major strength of the film, given that the female lead is reduced to merely a voice.

Scarlett Johansson, while starting off as a tad annoying, grows on you as the movie progresses as a truly fascinating character, to the point where you empathise with her growing humanity, if you will. It is a fascinating to watch something as inherently calculating as a sentient program, succumb to and eventually base its decisions on emotion, and her conversations with Phoenix's character are genuinely more heartfelt as the film progresses.

Additional praise to Amy Adams for her supporting role, in that without her, the movie would have felt that much more pretentious. Seeing a traditional relationship suffer the same sort of fate as the one conceptualised within the movie, was a necessary scenario in the portrayal of the future of love. Rooney Mara, too, for the sole present meeting that she has with her ex-husband in the film.

Ultimately, this is a gorgeous, thought-provoking story on the implications of social interaction via technology, and how it may shape what we believe love, at its core, really is all about.
 
Last edited:
The best mans Holiday
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2083355/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

I actually give it an 8 because every movie in this scene had a purpose.The acting was great and if you watched the first one you will enjoy this one.This movie flowed very well, with no nonsense to fill time.

The first movie that follows on : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168501/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_58

Enders game

7/10, Loved the twist at the end.CGI was pretty impressive especially the mindgame!Didnt find any flaws with Harrison or the main lead.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, very simple story. Not the best movie every made, but couldn't stop watching to see what happened next.

Can't help but compare it to Gravity i.e. Triumph of the Human Spirit and so on. If I had to chose one though, I preferred All is Lost.

I watched All Is Lost on the weekend. O. My. God. what a crap movie.

4/10

I've been looking forward to Gravity, holding out for the 3D version and all, and now you tell me you prefer All Is Lost over Gravity, furk me...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X