Moving to Saudi Arabia

FatBoySlim

Expert Member
You may also never come back because the decapitated you for wearing shorts. I mean let's not say anything bad about the well-paying jobs from the religious dictatorships.
The way SA is going, it may be safer to wear shorts in Saudi than being a white boi in SA.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I worked there for 3 months and swore I’d never go back. Not in Riyad mind you, a city called Taif in the south.

But I hated it. Mostly rude entitled people, litter and filth everywhere, can’t get a beer, sit in a restaurant surrounded by a curtain, everything closes 5 times a day. Never again.

Sorry dude, I can’t tone it down. I absolutely detest the place. Even a friend I worked with, a Muslim Pakistani who thought his dream had come true being posted to Saudi so he could visit Mecca and Medina, was so disillusioned with the country. He hated it and them with a passion.
With the new liberal regime, maybe things have changed?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I'd probably go to any country in Europe for the same type of opportunity - even Greece, Macedonia and the like, maybe South America, but a country that can end my life for some obscure religious stupidity laws - no thanks. I feel it is not worth risking one's life like that. And yes, spending the rest of your life in a jail cell is life-ending. Really think about that scenario and put yourself in it in your mind, and ask yourself if missing an opportunity for a lot of money isn't actually such a bad idea.

modern10

Expert Member
I'd say think about your family. If two years of sober habits and boredom can set you up for life I would do it.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I know people that have gone. They say it's horrible, but they earn enough to set them up for a good while. You don't have family so I say go for it for a year or 2

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I was hired to go work permanently in Riyadh until declining for health reasons.

I've done a lot of research on it and discussed to several people and didn't have any issue with the life there.

You live in massive compounds in which you have malls, restaurants and where Saudi laws apply loosely (the police doesn't come in as long as a balance is maintained), so much more freedom.

You can usually buy alcohol illegally in the compounds.

You generally live between compounds and go in the real KSA just for work.

When you get bored, you can easily and cheaply fly for the week end to Dubai, Egypt, Beirut, Oman, Dubai, Bahrein which are all much less restricitive.

I've noticed that you hate it or love it, my two friends (one lived in Riyadh 3 years, the other lives in Jeddah since 5 years) I asked to love it.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Brother was there for 10 years in the end. SAP related. Had no expenses there..housing ,everything provided for. Every now and then drove across to Bahrain, having a legal beer over there. Didn't take long to start brewing his own :) Socially it sucked, financially worth it.

Added bonus was the ability of cheaply travel to Europe and surrounds

cguy

Expert Member
I would say that it depends on what they mean by "Blank Cheque" (?). If it's really outrageous, I would first ask if it's something I could achieve in another country, and how badly I need the money, otherwise perhaps it's worth it for a while...

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
You don’t pay tax in Saudi. And if you are out of SA for a day more than 6 months a year, you don’t pay here either.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.
Hmmm and Dubai ? Brother in law is thinking about it. Long shot but if you know ...

Dave

Honorary Master
Brother was there for 10 years in the end. SAP related. Had no expenses there..housing ,everything provided for. Every now and then drove across to Bahrain, having a legal beer over there. Didn't take long to start brewing his own
Sounds like a really dumb person.

Peter Mutty jailed and flogged in Saudi Arabia for carrying home brew
A SYDNEY grandfather has been jailed and flogged in Saudi Arabia for carrying home brewed beer.

Peter Mutty was arrested for carrying two cartons of home brewed light beer and two cases of homemade red and white wine in his car, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The same crime attracts a sentence of expulsion from the country for other offenders, but the 57-year-old was sentenced to six months imprisonment alongside rapists and murderers in the capital’s Thuqba prison.

Along with being held inside the notorious prison, Mr Mutty was reportedly given 28 lashes from a cane before his release last month.
https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/sydney-grandfather-peter-mutty-jailed-and-flogged-in-saudi-arabia-for-carrying-home-brew/news-story/0280febd5d7caee7c937d96f2ff5012d

Briton Karl Andree, 74, who had been threatened with flogging after breaching strict alcohol laws, will be released from Saudi custody, Philip Hammond said today.

Mr Andree had been sentenced to prison and 350 lashes for brewing wine in his bath, breaking Saudi Arabia's strict alcohol laws.

He was arrested in Jeddah in August last year after police found found bottles of his home-made bathtub wine in his car.

He was sentenced to 12 months in prison, which he has now served, but the brutal flogging was due to be carried out upon his release.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3293515/British-grandfather-74-sentenced-350-lashes-brewing-homemade-wine-Saudi-Arabia-NOT-punished-released.html

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Maybe because they're both stupid? Thousands of expats brew without any issue in KSA.

Rule number 1, never take it or drink it out of your house.

in his car
wine in his car.
It's actually really not that hard to buy proper alcohol (but the price is crazy high) in the compounds anyway, you just have to know the right person.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Yip, was strictly for home consumption :D and he's safely back home, having escaped prison and/or flogging ...

envo

Expert Member
Don't. no money in the world makes that place ok. I'd rather stay in cape town and be happy with the job I love and the place I'm in than "endure" a year or two in that shithole

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I honestly wouldn't move for the money if you feel comfortable in Cape Town. Saudi is very limited and you don't have that freedom to do what you can in Cape Town.

I couldn't even braai when I was in Abu Dhabi or Dubai... like wtf man???

Money isn't everything bruh, your after hour hobbies is everything.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
If you are immigrating to a country with less civil liberties, I would think you are doing it wrong. Why would you want to live in a country where it the fact woman are now allowed to drive is considered a landmark human rights victory?
This has changed. The law became effective in this very month I think.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Dated a teacher that went to UAE. He lasted about 6 months and then found a job in China. He said it is just horrible. Now, if that is the UAE, I can only imagine what Saudi would be like. Basically the people he said are entitled rude fcktards that looks down on anyone and anything that is not Arab and muslim and they do it so that you KNOW it.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I work in film / video industry... love my home based here in CPT - but always keen for a change. Never ever thought of going to Saudi Arabia, and naturally hesitant at the prospect.

Love my beer, love my city and love my job. The only reason I'd do this is for financial gain - go for a year or two and come back and buy a house etc.

Just not sure whether the shift in lifestyle is worth the money... especially the destination being Saudi.
I have a friend that is also doing some contract work for a film/video industry in Saudi as well, as a SAP consultant. He is doing remote work from JHB. See if that is possible.