Moving to Saudi Arabia

genetic

Honorary Master
I've been offered a job opportunity to head up a division in Rihyad in Saudi Arabia.

Some background;
I worked for a company of which I resigned in Feb this year. They have since come back and made me an offer. Financially the position is pretty much a blank cheque, meaning my employer is asking what it will take to move me to Saudi.

The reason I left the company in the first place was that I was not stimulated enough in my role, and got headhunted elsewhere. Now my old employer has secured a massive contract where my position is needed in Saudi Arabia.

I'm very happy in Cape Town, love my current job - I'm always open to new opportunities but working in Saudi is a a big leap, so and not sure I'm ready to do it. Financially it makes sense, but I'm not sure if it's the right decision... mentally.

Just want to know if anyone else has gone through a similar situation, and has any advice?

EDIT: Mods please move - this is not a food question... I blame the new forum for the mishap. :p

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I worked there for 3 months and swore I’d never go back. Not in Riyad mind you, a city called Taif in the south.

But I hated it. Mostly rude entitled people, litter and filth everywhere, can’t get a beer, sit in a restaurant surrounded by a curtain, everything closes 5 times a day. Never again.

Sorry dude, I can’t tone it down. I absolutely detest the place. Even a friend I worked with, a Muslim Pakistani who thought his dream had come true being posted to Saudi so he could visit Mecca and Medina, was so disillusioned with the country. He hated it and them with a passion.

manMountain

If you are immigrating to a country with less civil liberties, I would think you are doing it wrong. Why would you want to live in a country where it the fact woman are now allowed to drive is considered a landmark human rights victory?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Look, from reports it also very much depends on what your goals are. Essentially, even if it sucks, how long can you realistically stand the suckage in order to make what I presume is a huge amount of cash. If it helps you pay off a house in SA and you can do it in a couple of years it might be worth it.

Side note - what's your job?

Nick333

Honorary Master
If you are immigrating to a country with less civil liberties, I would think you are doing it wrong. Why would you want to live in a country where it the fact woman are now allowed to drive is considered a landmark human rights victory?
Money. Or, he's a Muslim, Arab and he's not that worried about liberty anyway.

genetic

Honorary Master
Look, from reports it also very much depends on what your goals are. Essentially, even if it sucks, how long can you realistically stand the suckage in order to make what I presume is a huge amount of cash. If it helps you pay off a house in SA and you can do it in a couple of years it might be worth it.

Side note - what's your job?
I work in film / video industry... love my home based here in CPT - but always keen for a change. Never ever thought of going to Saudi Arabia, and naturally hesitant at the prospect.

Love my beer, love my city and love my job. The only reason I'd do this is for financial gain - go for a year or two and come back and buy a house etc.

Just not sure whether the shift in lifestyle is worth the money... especially the destination being Saudi.

One of ladies was there for year left as soon she could!

She did make some good dollars while she was there as nurse.

saor

Honorary Master
Solo individual. Never made the mistake of marrying a paper weight or having leaching kids. :p
Possible to structure you contract such that you can change you mind in the first 6 months / or any time with a months notice? At least you're not stuck there for 2 years if it really sucks.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Solo individual. Never made the mistake of marrying a paper weight or having leaching kids. :p
Well then, if its lucrative, go for that filthy lolly. From what I hear it can get boring quick, so if you can go for a few a years and come back and buy a house cash, or go somewhere civilised and build a life afterwards, be a soldier and do it.

Redeemed

Expert Member
For the money?

saor

Honorary Master
Well then, if its lucrative, go for that filthy lolly. From what I hear it can get boring quick, so if you can go for a few a years and come back and buy a house cash, or go somewhere civilised and build a life afterwards, be a soldier and do it.
This too.

I mean, why else be single with skills if not to voyage into the unknown for crazy rewards? Sure, it might be ****, but you'll come back with money, experience, have grown as a person, have a load of stories and an even deeper appreciation for what you have in life.

manMountain

You may also never come back because the decapitated you for wearing shorts. I mean let's not say anything bad about the well-paying jobs from the religious dictatorships.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I work in film / video industry... love my home based here in CPT - but always keen for a change. Never ever thought of going to Saudi Arabia, and naturally hesitant at the prospect.

Love my beer, love my city and love my job. The only reason I'd do this is for financial gain - go for a year or two and come back and buy a house etc.

Just not sure whether the shift in lifestyle is worth the money... especially the destination being Saudi.
Why go see the place first? Offer it as a proviso to the people who want you to work there.