Mrs Mugabe milking Nestle?

darkevil

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
818
Reaction score
139
Location
Hell
Grace Mugabe, the wife of Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, owns dairy farms that sell up to a million litres of milk a year to food giant Nestlé, London's Sunday Telegraph reports.

Grace Mugabe took over six of the country's most valuable white-owned farms around 2002, the newspaper said.

Mugabe, his wife and other members of his administration are the subject of European Union and United States sanctions as a result of their controversial 29-year rule over once-prosperous Zimbabwe.

Nestlé, the multinational food company which is the largest customer of Grace Mugabe's dairy farm, is not obliged to comply with those sanctions as its headquarters are in Switzerland, the Telegraph said.

Switzerland has its own set of measures, but Nestlé insists it has not broken Swiss law.

On Saturday, the Daily Telegraph reported that Robert Mugabe himself had built up a secret personal farming empire including at least five white-owned farms from which the owners were forced out.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, Grace Mugabe's properties total about 12 000 acres, but her most important is Gushungo Dairy Estate, formerly known as Foyle Farm. It is located in Mazowe, about 10 kilometres north of Harare.

The farm is managed by Russell Goreraza, her son from her first marriage.

Her biggest customer, according to her staff and other industry insiders, is Nestlé Zimbabwe, the local subsidiary of the Swiss company, the newspaper reported.

According to farm staff, the dairy's only other customers were personal callers at the premises.

When the Sunday Telegraph visited the farm, the milk cost US$1 a litre.

A spokesperson at Nestlé's global headquarters in Switzerland told the newspaper that in 2009 the company started purchasing milk on the open market from various suppliers on a strictly non-contractual basis.

"In certain instances, the milk available in the market would be from Gushungo Dairy Estate," the spokesperson was quoted as saying.

"During the recent crisis, Nestlé has not considered moving its operations out of the country. By providing basic food products to Zimbabwean consumers, Nestlé aims to meet the needs of the local population, many of whom are vulnerable and disadvantaged."

The newspaper also reported that pay and conditions for workers at the dairy were meagre.

A 25-year-old worker, with a child to care for, said she could not afford to buy the milk at US$1 a litre.

"I get US$40 a month, yet we sell lots and lots of milk," she told the Sunday Telegraph.

"Mrs Mugabe is here a lot, but doesn't talk to us, just the managers," she said.

http://news.iafrica.com/worldnews/1726658.htm

Dont u just love Nestle chocolate.....
 
Noooo... I prefer Lindt and Cadbury :D

And, as heart-breaking as reading this article is... Does anyone really care any more? I don't mean that in a pissy kind of way, just... I think we've all just grown numb to it. The West obviously doesn't care. ZA welcomes Mugabe to its presidential inauguration with open arms...

We're all helpless, the countries we live in just don't care. And I think we're all tired of feeling helpless and angry and upset and we've just become... numb :(
 
Noooo... I prefer Lindt and Cadbury :D
With you on that one.

Nestlé will not do a thing to help, of course, since their directors are stuffing their faces while the workers harvesting the raw product are living in abject poverty. "Oh well, I don't live in Africa so it's not my problem".
 
$1 a litre? thats cheaper than it is at my local hyperama! It is R9.99 a litre there!

In SA farmers get between R1 and R3 per litre, depending on which company is buying.
 
The only light in this tunnel is that as long as this goes on and while Bob the loony keeps slagging off the west the sanctions will remain, and no more western cash will find its way into the regime's hands.

Of course the Zimbabwean populace will just continue to suffer.

Sooner or later Mugabe will be dead - only then will anything start to change.
 
we use Nestle condensed milk for our tea and when i made some a few mins ago i could not help but think of Grace.
 
And, as heart-breaking as reading this article is... Does anyone really care any more? I don't mean that in a pissy kind of way, just... I think we've all just grown numb to it. The West obviously doesn't care. ZA welcomes Mugabe to its presidential inauguration with open arms...

We're all helpless, the countries we live in just don't care. And I think we're all tired of feeling helpless and angry and upset and we've just become... numb :(

Can't give a **** anymore what the Zim government is doing to that country.

Actually, I find it hard to care about those Zimbos living in poverty, in that country, when everytime Mugabe makes an anti-west speech, all those living in poverty are there to [-]worship[/-] cheer for Mugabe.
 
Can't give a **** anymore what the Zim government is doing to that country.

Actually, I find it hard to care about those Zimbos living in poverty, in that country, when everytime Mugabe makes an anti-west speech, all those living in poverty are there to [-]worship[/-] cheer for Mugabe.

It's not all that much different to how it is here, if we're honest. But I agree...

It's ****ed up...
 
It's not all that much different to how it is here, if we're honest. But I agree...

It's ****ed up...
Correct.
It's not like Mugarbage went crazy overnight - he clearly displayed his vile traits many years ago, and the Zim's just kept voting for him - why,.......... for the same reasons that the masses will keep voting for the scumbag ANC regardless of them showing their total lack of consideration for their voters while lining their own pockets.
 
ZA will never reprimand mad bob. He supplied too much aid in the struggle days. That's why Thabo never did anything about it and neither will Jacob.:D
 
I agree, we are all done worrying. Look at the bright side, though. Most of us on the forum, our ancestors, the colonists came to africa and brought the intellectual knowledge to build infrastructure etc. in most parts of Africa. Seeing as the blacks hated the whites, they chased them out (Except SA).
The bright side?

Their inability to work together to prosper and their ignorance will cause them to not use the abundant resources that Africa has. For instance, the food crisis in Zim because of the lack of skilled farmers - The land is left uncultivated.

In the end, this lack of industrial prosperity also causes a very low pollution level. as Africa is responsible for very little of the worlds total C02 emissions.

So their ignorance and their hate is actually a big bonus in the long run.

Oh, and if Mugarbage kicks the bucket another one of his cronies will take over.
(Hopefully a revolutionary war will brake out)
 
In the end, this lack of industrial prosperity also causes a very low pollution level. as Africa is responsible for very little of the worlds total C02 emissions.


Actually that is not entirely correct. Last I heard SASOL is the single largest producer of CO2 pollution but this is way o/t
 
Hehe, another black 'liberator' exposed for what he really is - nothing more than a common thief. Yet I agree, nothing will be done about it, the people are suffering but he'll be remembered as a hero. Gotta love african politics.

Nestle boycott. Anyone?
 
Big companies and politicians . I knew that Mr Mugabe or his wife had the biggest diary plant in Africa but little did I know nestle were behind this .
 
Last edited:
Big companies and politicians . I knew that Mr Mugabe or his wife had the biggest diary plant in Africa but little did I know nestle were behind this .

Bwahahahaa... "Mr" Mugabe... I like that.

I prefer your original statement though:

The english people taught that old man all the con tricks in the book , look at what he is doing now .

Agreed Isede.

Mugabe is not responsible for any of the trouble Zimbabwe is in at the moment. :rolleyes:

Agreed... The lies people convince themselves to believe...
 
In the end, this lack of industrial prosperity also causes a very low pollution level. as Africa is responsible for very little of the worlds total C02 emissions.

So their ignorance and their hate is actually a big bonus in the long run.

Wrongo. The fat-cats import highly toxic waste and use their countries as dumping grounds. The ultra crappy health services ensure that their citizens die. But hey, the Swiss bank balance looks healthy.
 
Bwahahahaa... "Mr" Mugabe... I like that.

I prefer your original statement though:





Agreed... The lies people convince themselves to believe...

You want me to call him Murgabage , mad bob , will that suit you ?? I have no time for name calling my man .
Mr Mugabe is doing business with Nestle , SA businessmen have been profiting , his dealmakers are mainly from England , his biggest dealmaker is a Jew born in SA but now a Zimbabwean . I know whats happening in that country and in no way did I try and blame the whiteman . I am stating the facts as I know them . Yes Mugabe is having a good time but some of his best freinds are having a better time in SA and England .
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X