MTN Allowing WiFi Calling

Sayf777

Expert Member
I see that WiFi calling can not be used when travelling abroad. Only available for use in SA. However Cell C does allow this therefore making it possible to roam at local SA rates when on a WiFi network.
Typical MTN
Yip, all other networks allow it except for MTN.

Tim_vb

We need a campaign on Twitter to get them to implement this feature. It's weak sauce at all other voice networks have implemented this already

Wasp!

Feedback from MTN on Twitter:
Hi, please note we are waiting for the launch date from the Marketing team. #WatchTheSpace
~NK

FHTheron

I tried MTN for a while again. The speeds were amazing, signal better than CellC and Vodacom at that time, but there incessant spamming with CB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Broadcast) made me angry enough to leave again. Those things take over the whole iphone screen until you select an action and it will do so in the middle of something important.

If MTN does Wifi calling properly, I might even be willing to live with that though. Vodacom only does this weird if-we-feel-signal-is-weak thing - Wifi calling is there, but I have not yet seen it get used. Guess my 1 bar 4G is still good enough for them to avoid turning on Wifi calling.

Segg

Expert Member
I tried MTN for a while again. The speeds were amazing, signal better than CellC and Vodacom at that time, but there incessant spamming with CB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Broadcast) made me angry enough to leave again. Those things take over the whole iphone screen until you select an action and it will do so in the middle of something important.

If MTN does Wifi calling properly, I might even be willing to live with that though. Vodacom only does this weird if-we-feel-signal-is-weak thing - Wifi calling is there, but I have not yet seen it get used. Guess my 1 bar 4G is still good enough for them to avoid turning on Wifi calling.

I just turned it off

FHTheron

I just turned it off
I couldn’t figure out how to turn it off on an iphone. If it’s possible, please do tell.

I got a secondary prepaid SIM today for some hotspot usage now and then and wow, 100Mbps vs 5Mbps on my Vodacom SIM.

Segg

Expert Member
I couldn’t figure out how to turn it off on an iphone. If it’s possible, please do tell.

I got a secondary prepaid SIM today for some hotspot usage now and then and wow, 100Mbps vs 5Mbps on my Vodacom SIM.

I'm an android user unfortunately :) if I had quick access to an iPhone I'd take a look for you

MTN's network is far superior to Vodacom. I've been on Vodacom, then Cell C, then 10 years ago I went to MTN and have never looked back. The Afrihost APN is very useful as well.

Only thing I'd wish they'd do is re-enable Wi-Fi calling.

EDIT: I've also used Telkom (back when they were 8ta) and also enjoyed their speeds

Wasp!

@rpm Could you please ask MTN when they launching WiFi calling on iOS devices? Every time we query this, the response is that it will come soon. It’s currently available for android but not iOS