MTN Black Friday Discussions

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master

Y'ello ,

On 1 May 2022, we implemented a 5% price increase on your contract subscription, an adjustment that reflected on your most recent bill.

The initial price increase was applied to your base price plan, which is the price of your contract prior to any discounts that were applied to your price plan by MTN, when you signed up for your contract.

This meant that although you would have received a discounted price when you signed-up, the price increase was applied to the original base price plan which resulted in a higher price increase than 5%.
A revised monthly contract subscription.
We are committed to treating all our customers fairly and equally, whilst ensuring the best network and service experience for you, which is why we have adjusted the way the price increase is applied to your subscription.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
so what are they saying are they charging us according to your subscription ?

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
so what are they saying are they charging us according to your subscription ?
I just got an sms saying they are going to align me to 5%. Im too lazy to type out the whole message.
But will admit your message seems different to mine.

wizardofid

Executive Member
fing mofos. They Fked up and they know it.

SMS I got

Y'ello. We have identified that you were impacted by the price increase on 1 May. We acknowledge that your increase may be more than 5% and we'll adjust the increase downward on your next bill. Any difference in pricing will be credited to your account. Thank you for using MTN. T&C apply

airborne

Honorary Master
I checked my router now and I got the same sms on the 28th, I love how they backtrack now when they realise they’ve been caught out. Oh well at least we got it down to 5% without too much fight/effort.

azbob

Honorary Master
They’ll just have another increase next year to make up for this.

PPogba

MTN rapped over the knuckles for misleading info on upgrades in advert​

Advertising Standards Board sanctions cellphone giant, ordering it to clarify its communications with clients​

Cellphone giant MTN has been found guilty of sending misleading advertising to a customer, and ordered by the Advertising Regulatory Board to correct its advertising pursuits in future.
The ruling, made earlier this month, stated that an MTN client had laid a complaint against the cellphone service provider for informing him that he was due for an upgrade, only to try to bill him for early upgrade penalty charges when he went to get his new phone.
Client Edward Richardson submitted that he had received an SMS from MTN on March 1 informing him that he qualified for an upgrade, with no mention of any additional costs. Only when he went to the store was he informed that he would be charged penalty fees for an early upgrade.
On March 4 Richardson laid his complaint with the ARB, which then contacted MTN which asked for the customer’s details to investigate the matter.
The advertiser is instructed to ensure that its communications to its customers around upgrades must be sent when the customer is actually due for an upgrade, or it must indicate that early upgrades are subject to penalties.
Advertising Standards Board
The ARB said that MTN then failed to respond any further, despite several follow-ups made by it.
The advert, sent directly to the Richardson, stated: “Dear MTN client, your upgrade is due this month” and made no mention of any costs or penalties involved.
“The complainant can therefore not be faulted for believing he was due for an upgrade in March,” the ruling stated.
The ARB found that according to MTN terms and conditions as detailed on its website, early upgrades are subject to penalty fees to cover the costs of the remainder of the contract period.
The ARB stated that it was satisfied that, in terms of a previous dealing with MTN relating to a different matter, MTN had respect for the ARB and considered itself bound by its decisions.
“The advertiser is instructed to ensure that its communications to its customers around upgrades must either be sent when the customer is actually due for an upgrade, or it must indicate that early upgrades are subject to penalties,” stated the final sanction.
“MTN has noted the ruling by the ARB and is reworking the messaging to ensure that it is as clear as possible when communicating with its customers,” said Jacqui O’Sullivan, corporate affairs executive at MTN SA.

akescpt

Honorary Master
the latest brainfart by them....scoring own goals left right and center lately....me wonders if black Friday contracts will cease this November

airborne

Honorary Master
I just got my Statement/Invoice for July and the increase has been reduced from R565 to R524 but the promised credit from being charged R565 in June has not materialised, well played MTN..