MTN data downtime details

cozinsky

Expert Member
It is indeed disconcerting to read about your bad experiences with MTN. Seems your complaints are valid and MTN needs to get their house in order. There is simply no excuse for such pathetic service. I hope my experiences with MTN don't go the same route. Thanks all for sharing their experiences and passing on the links.

Yogotta B. Kidding

If I may add a little info here.. I have restarted my 3G session for the 4th today, to access this page.

The 3G/GSm network in SA is shared amongst Vodacom/MTN/CellC. The only difference is the buying experience, different looking statement and maybe your number. So with whoever you go, your service is coming through the same towers. This is especially true for suburban areas because every operator cannot (and is not) allowed to plant towers as they see fit.

Further to this we don't really know whether the latest 3G marketing campaign results is causing the unreliable connections.

edited to add..
Find some content on CellC's deal with Huawei . . we still need to see how this pans out.

Last edited:

RJMadCat

If I may add a little info here.. I have restarted my 3G session for the 4th today, to access this page.

The 3G/GSm network in SA is shared amongst Vodacom/MTN/CellC. The only difference is the buying experience, different looking statement and maybe your number. So with whoever you go, your service is coming through the same towers. This is especially true for suburban areas because every operator cannot (and is not) allowed to plant towers as they see fit.

Further to this we don't really know whether the latest 3G marketing campaign results is causing the unreliable connections.

i have 2 towers near my house one is 100 meters away other about 800, the further on is MTN closer one is Vodacom, i dont think they run off the same network. Might be that Cell C still uses alot of vodacom towers i am not sure, i am just speculating however, but the info on the towers and their locations are fact :p

Johand

Expert Member

Not true. The operators each run their own network and they have their own frequency bands. 8ta roams on MTN where they don't have base-stations, and CellC roams with Vodacom. The operators do however share the physical tower (the steel structure/enclosures) in some locations, but they have their own communication equipment on-site and they provide their own back-haul (or buy their own back-haul from somebody else).

Coverage and network quality differ dramatically between operators.