MTN Dynamic IP Addresses vs FTP Problems

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me to isolate a problem that I am experiencing.

I am on a MTN Data Contract. I use a MTN USB Modem to connect to the internet.

When I connect to the internet, MTN automatically assigns an IP address (Dynamic IP Address) to my computer/connection.

I use a variety of software applications to FTP files to servers in various locations around the world.

The problem:
Most of the time depending on the IP address that MTN assigns to my computer/connection I am Not able to access my files via FTP. I am always able to connect to the various servers via FTP but the directory/file structure fails to load depending on the IP Address that MTN assigns to my computer/connection. (In other words, the FTP process does not progress past the MLSD Command and therefore fails to load the directories/files.)

Inconvenient Solution:
The only way to get this to work is to disconnect my MTN connection and reconnect. I often have to repeat this procedure many times and sometimes over a considerable period of time before I am finally assigned with a "good" IP address that does not "cause" this aforementioned problem.

Most of the various MTN IP addresses that I have been assigned with to date are Guilty and "will not allow me" to view my directory structures. There are very few MTN IP addresses that I have been assigned that are Not Guilty as they do not cause the aforementioned problem.

So far I can confirm the following:
- I have two personal standalone computers (they are not connected in a network). I experience this problem via both of my computers.
- I connect to the internet by plugging the MTN USB modem directly into a computer's USB port.
- Both computers are running Windows XP PRO SP3.
- The problem is not related to my (client side) firewall. I have gone so far as to disable/disconnect and even uninstall the firewall and antivirus software. (I have also disabled Windows Firewall).
- The Sever side firewalls are not blocking the IP addresses because I have asked the various hosting providers to check this, and I am always able to connect to the servers via FTP.

Does anybody know if MTN has any control over the blocking of my ability to FTP files and why I am prevented from doing this via most of their dynamically assigned IP Addresses but not all of their dynamically IP Addresses?

If you suspect that the problem lies with MTN and it is within their control then could you advise me accordingly so that I know what to tell MTN to look for, otherwise I will just go around and around in circles without making progress?

If you suspect that the problem is not within MTN's control, then what do you think is responsible for this problem?

If there is a way to configure "Windows XP" to forcibly connect with or switch to a "good" MTN IP address that I predefine, then please advise me on how to do this?

I would be most appreciative for any suggestions/advice.

sajunky

Honorary Master
You did lot of research on your side, then do google search for "passive ftp", it comes with three top links:
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/novellgroupwise/ht/setpassiveftpie.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
and more technical one:
http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Reason is that ISP firewall blocks incoming connection. Active ftp is not working in that case. Today most of ftp sites are able to use passive ftp which doesn't require incoming connection. See on the above link how to enable passive ftp on Internet Explorer.

No, you can't force Windows to use specific IP's, but you can apply MTN for unrestricted APN which allows incoming connections. Note, that it cause security risk and you will be also billed for incoming data from hackers sites attempting to get access to your computers. It is why try passive ftp first.

Passive FTP Does Not Solve The Problem

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my original post that I have set all of my FTP clients to "Passive FTP". Passive FTP does not solve the problem that I am experiencing. The Various Hosting Providers' Firewalls are not to blame. My Firewall and security software is not to blame.

I spent a long time trying to get Directories and Files to Display via FTP on my MTN Connection today, but after connecting and reconnecting many times, I could not get one of the few "good" IP addresses to be assigned by MTN. I borrowed a Vodacom USB modem today with Vodacom Sim Card and I am able to view my Directories and Files via FTP. I have connected, disconnected and reconnected many times today (on purpose) to test the Vodacom service and I have not experienced the problem on any of the numerous dynamic IP addresses assigned by Vodacom.

Unfortunately, I do need to resolve this problem because I am on a 2 year MTN contract.

I am confused why this problem surfaces on some MTN IP addresses but not on all MTN IP addresses that have been assigned to my computer/connection?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my original post that I have set all of my FTP clients to "Passive FTP". Passive FTP does not solve the problem that I am experiencing. The Various Hosting Providers' Firewalls are not to blame. My Firewall and security software is not to blame.
OK, The only way to get attention is to post these IP addresses on MTN forum. Or ask moderator to move this thread.