MTN esim for Apple Watch

steviedee

Hi,
So I have a cellular enabled Apple Watch, and I have good MTN signal where I'm staying. I'd like to get my number ported to MTN and get the esim for the watch.
I've called the call center for hours on end. no help. nobody knows what's going on. I've been to 2 different stores, and iStore, nobody knows what's going on.
Is it only available for contract customers? or certain plans? which plans or contracts?
The "Set up mobile data" option is just disabled, it says underneath there: "MTN does not currently support Apple Watch" - but both the Apple and MTN webpages and help agents say it is supported.
The most frustrating part is that nobody at the MTN stores know what's going on with esim at all. They have no idea how to assist any customer questions.
Does anyone have any experience with getting this resolved? - Any stores in JHB that have successfully been able to assist and get it enabled?

steviedee

Thanks
This is for phones, not wearables (watches), apparently they're different as I'll retain my existing sim in my phone as well as getting an esim on my watch.
I did speak to an agent at Cresta's MTN store who seemed a little more knowledgeable yesterday, I will go back to the store and try sign up for a cheap month-to-month contract and see if it solves my problem.
It seems it cannot work with pay-as-you-go

dinkd

i've been trying to get mine activated since 15 dec.... nobody in MTN can fix it... i get the setup mobile data option under mobile data, get the MTN login screen.. and then once logged in get an error message that says "this service is unavailable right now. currently this service is available to our contract customers only, but we'll be extending it to our other customers soon. Please try again or dial 135 and speak to an MTN agent for more help"

i am a contract customer... and tons of phone calls later, 2 store trips to the cresta branch and still no luck.. so if you come right i am curious to hear how!

_paul_

c1c034a8680d47fb55d13753b4f1f993.jpg

steviedee

My problem was that there was a software update pending.
Because I had recently had my phone screen fixed and the icloud restore had not yet finished, the latest software wasn't yet installed.
As soon as the phone software updated, (from 14.2 to 14.4) I then had access to click the "set up mobile data" button, and I could go through the steps to register and enable the esim.
It now says "MTN" and "waiting" on my mobile data in the watch app. So I am not out of the woods yet....
But I definitely got further than I was last week.

steviedee

After updating IOS, registering and enabling esim in the portal, it took a couple hours for the watch to connect to the mobile network for the first time, and since then it's been working great.
My problem was absolutely that my IOS was a few weeks old (14 Dec). As soon as I updated to 14.4 the option to "Set Up Mobile Data" was enabled and everything started working as expected.
I'm sorry you're still struggling @dinkd

dinkd

After updating IOS, registering and enabling esim in the portal, it took a couple hours for the watch to connect to the mobile network for the first time, and since then it's been working great.
My problem was absolutely that my IOS was a few weeks old (14 Dec). As soon as I updated to 14.4 the option to "Set Up Mobile Data" was enabled and everything started working as expected.
I'm sorry you're still struggling @dinkd
awesome glad you sorted!!

dinkd

apparently my issue is that mtn has a new client system that esim works off... i am still sitting on the old client system... no eta when they doing the migrations across.... not cool for a product they actively advertising!

steviedee

Not cool at all.
In one of my emails with customer care, they said: "For now, your device does not form part of eSIM enabled devices. Please lookout for regular updates to this service via our website."
This when they actively selling Apple Watches and advertising their esim options for them.
Crazy.