MTN to officially launch out-of-bundle data blocking

Joseph matane

Am I the only one who got lost reading this article the headline tricked me I thought MTN has finally launched the option to allow us to block OOB but this article just talks about old news nothing new here why the editor or journalist didn't wait for MTN to launch the service first, I wasted my time read the article

Budza

Executive Member
Am I the only one who got lost reading this article the headline tricked me I thought MTN has finally launched the option to allow us to block OOB but this article just talks about old news nothing new here why the editor or journalist didn't wait for MTN to launch the service first, I wasted my time read the article
I didn't even bother.

It's too late.

I've moved myself and 4 (soon to be 6) immediate + extended family members to Telkom.

Whoever's still with one of the old MNOs is either lazy or doesn't mind paying stupid tax.

system32

Expert Member
MTN OOB blocking still not working
Checked the balance R115.92.
Ensured that blocking was ON:

1550645063003.png

I went to YouTube and watched the MTN Advert.

1550645029257.png

Checked the balance - down to R103.05
1550645163146.png

MTN to Officially launch non working OOB barring.

Last edited:

werny

Expert Member
MTN OOB blocking still not working
Checked the balance R115.92.
Ensured that blocking was ON:

View attachment 621788

I went to YouTube and watched the MTN Advert.

View attachment 621786

Checked the balance - down to R103.05
View attachment 621790

MTN to Officially launch non working OOB barring.
Received an SMS from MTN this morning stating that this will only kick in on 1 March, and if you would like to keep using out-of-bundle data you have to reply 1. So I guess it's not fully active yet.

yebocan

Executive Member
I didn't even bother.

It's too late.

I've moved myself and 4 (soon to be 6) immediate + extended family members to Telkom.

Whoever's still with one of the old MNOs is either lazy or doesn't mind paying stupid tax.
Or just has Afrihost Mobile APN loaded

mister

Executive Member
Imagine a major "official" event to announce that you've decided to stop fscking people out of millions.
I worship the ground of the executives, they are heroes to me - so kind & considerate of them to officially stop ****ing us over.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I worship the ground of the executives, they are heroes to me - so kind & considerate of them to officially stop ****ing us over.
I would not mind any of this if it wasn't for the cartel-like behaviour MTN and Vodacom operate with.

mister

Executive Member
I would not mind any of this if it wasn't for the cartel-like behaviour MTN and Vodacom operate with.
It makes me sick. A low income employee of mine is currently being ****ed over by MTN to the tune of R500 a month after taking out a contract by telephone with MobilesPlus - the MTN agents. It was supposed to be R150, but she was signed up for extras and value-adds adding up to R500. Months and months and hours of my time helping have yielded nothing. MTN just don't ****ing care. She had to close her bank account because she can't afford the R500 and is on the way to being blacklisted.

marine1

Honorary Master
What a joke to cover their asses.
Why isnt the default set to lock line ?
This is just to cover their mafia asses so they can say why didnt you set it to lock the line after your bundle was finished ?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Here's a worrying thing about the Subscriber Service Charter

There may be cases where the end-user makes no election at all, whether to opt-in or opt –out of out of bundle usage. In those cases, the Licensee may terminate data services or continue to provide data services on the same terms and conditions applicable under in-bundle usage.
So it seems that if you don't actively opt-out, the networks can keep the shark circling the bowl depending on your current contract.

Migrainuer

This feature should be a standard from all providers and has been available for at least 2 years from MASCOM in Botswana

Swa

Honorary Master
Here's a worrying thing about the Subscriber Service Charter

So it seems that if you don't actively opt-out, the networks can keep the shark circling the bowl depending on your current contract.
Yes but what does "same terms and conditions" mean? To me it's charging the same out of bundle rate as in bundle. As usual Isucka is being sufficiently vague on this that we'll still be arguing with them until 2050.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes but what does "same terms and conditions" mean? To me it's charging the same out of bundle rate as in bundle. As usual Isucka is being sufficiently vague on this that we'll still be arguing with them until 2050.
It means whatever the contract you signed says.

Moral of the story - if/when you get a message... opt-out.