MTN's plan to take on Vodacom

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
MTN's plan to take on Vodacom

MTN is planning to take on Vodacom by building a better network, ensuring a great customer experience, and offering competitive products.

This is the word from MTN Group CEO Rob Shuter, who told Business Day TV that the operator's vision for its South African operation is to be a strong challenger to Vodacom.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I have an even better idea. Just stop sending me spam and opt me out when I opt out.

envo

Expert Member
If they want to do something right, reduce confusion with the myriad of packages available currently.

Have 1 post-paid product and give the end-user the ability to customize (and pay for) a package that suits them; for example: 0 SMS, 100 Anytime Minutes and 10 GB data (or whatever combination thereof that fits their budget) as a "start" and then allow them to set limits for each to not overrun their bill.

Ability to setup roaming overseas or disable it without having to phone in/sign another contract etc. Also setup a spending limit per day and a "to / from" date to automatically disable by the end date. That way you don't reach the spending limit of your roaming data all at once, and can have a bit of access every day if required, and it is automatically managed, so that when you return, it's automatically deactivated for when you forget to do so manually.

Have 1 prepaid product, same as above, able to recharge with Airtime OR SMS OR Data (Or Whatsapp / Facebook /Instagram or Twitter specific data packages). If a prepaid user exceeds a specific amount of money spent a month for 3 months, give incentive them to move to post-paid for cheaper rates.

Ability for prepaid to see any "value added services" loaded through web/mobile app

Same web portal for both (same mobile app for both), consistent look & feel AND features

Having said that, customer service has always been MTN's Achilles heal, one department does not know what the other is doing, blames each other/sends the customer from one to another etc.

Once you can fix your internal communication (who is responsible for what) and have proper training and communication on new products (MTN still denies there is fibre in my area, even though I've personally spoken to several of the installers saying it's for MTN and has been active for a few years now), then you might start winning over clients.

Imagine, not having to sit on the phone for 2 hours explaining to several MTN employees why you are phoning, but having that done in a matter of minutes! HEAVEN

Thor

Honorary Master
This
If they want to do something right, reduce confusion with the myriad of packages available currently.
Consolidate your packages into 5

DXL

Expert Member
Dr Mr Shuter

My 2c Input for you to improve MTN's Figures

Sim Only Offers : ( Or add R50 for a Device )

20 Gigs Anytime + 20 Gigs Night Data = R149
50 Gigs Anytime + 50 Gigs Night Data = R249
100 Gigs Anytime + 100 Gigs Night Data = R349
200 Gigs Anytime + 200 Gigs Night Data = R449

This will surely get people signed up.

R13...

Honorary Master
Dr Mr Shuter

Doubt they'd make any money that way. I am a fairly heavy user and can't get through 20Gb a month. Their strategy (I think), which is poor admittedly, is to look at average user rates and makes sure the prices on those average bundle sizes are high enough to milk the user base as much as possible.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
MTN is planning to take on Vodacom by building a better network, ensuring a great customer experience, and offering competitive products.
Only now? How long have these two been competitors?

:ROFL:

Johand

Expert Member
Wondering if they ever sort out their billing... I left after they couldn't sort out my statements for over a year - opening balance didn't match previous statement closing balance and the call center insisted I was stupid for expecting it :rolleyes:.

Once Cell C finally blows up I will probably have to go network shopping again. I promised myself to never touch Telkom with a long pole and the choice between Vodacom and MTN is trying to decide between the lesser of two monopolistic evils...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
MTN already has a better performing network than Vodacom. The problem is how they structure and price their products.

Make them simpler and stop nickel and diming. And don't have atrocious customer support. Sorted. :thumbsup:

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
  1. A great network.
  2. An excellent customer experience.
  3. Competitive mobile packages and prices.
My 3 point plan to get rich. 1 Get a great idea for business; 2. Find an investor to implement. 3. Expand business

:)

Swa

Honorary Master
Dr Mr Shuter

This here, with proper rollover.

Reactions: DXL

phex

Today's mobile phone usage is data driven.
Rain is great at prices but lack wide coverage. With that wide network coverage of yours offer the cheapest data products for once then watch me subscribing to MTN.