MultiChoice launches DStv Broadband Trial

Looks like it is free for premium subscribers
Overview

What is DStv Broadband?
DStv Broadband is a website offering video content from selected DStv channels. The video content is streamed or downloaded from the website and is only available to DStv subscribers in South Africa.

How do I access DStv Broadband?
Go to www.dstvbroadband.com and you will be presented with the homepage. You will need to register (the first time), thereafter you will need to login before being able to view the video content.

How do I register on DStv Broadband?
Click on the “Register” tab (top right of home page), then complete the requested information and submit it.

How do I login on DStv Broadband?
Click on the “login” tab (top right of home page), then enter your email address and password (which you submitted in your registration). Once logged in successfully; you will be able to view video content.

What are the costs involved when viewing video content on DStv Broadband?
There is no cost for viewing video content on the DStv Broadband website. However, you are responsible for the costs involved with obtaining a broadband internet connection. You are responsible for your bandwidth CAP which will be consumed when downloading video content.

I am a DStv subscriber and I am still not able to login successfully to the site, what could the problem be?
The service is currently only available to customers who are subscribed to the Premium DStv Bouquet and whose DStv service is active (not disconnected/cancelled).
 
Why are there so many frickin "trials" in this country!?

"Trials" in South African terms is just another marketing tool imho: lots of hot air!
 
Is this for real?

Has anyone actually used this service.

Interesting that it's all local content, there may be some limitation to what they can broadcast over the web, because technically it becomes an international broadcast.

hmmm. Don't you have to pay extra licensing fee's when broadcasting content across borders?
 
I just don't see how this will work. With the Telkom costs, even a single episode of Carte Blanche would cost you about R100. Thats just for bandwidth, and doesn't inlcude rental or your DSTV subscription. I may be missing something, but why in gods name would you ever use this? Especially as it's for people who are already subscribers and can watch it anyway or record it without paying Telkom a fortune. Unless there is something that they know which we don't, this just has to be a non starter.

Or is it because I'm thinking of an actualt IPTV solution rather than merely a glorified FTP site where you can download an episode of Egoli if you missed it and the PVR wasn't set?
 
Last edited:
There is a link on that http://www.dstvbroadband.com site that tests your bandwidth (click on check my bandwidth extreme right) and when i clicked, it said i needed 700Kb/s to stream and i clocked in at 2246Kb/s :D :p

so i think those on 1mb and above (correct me if wrong) are okay :rolleyes:
 
The amount of bandwidth usage wouldn't be such a problem if telscum actually stuck to ICASA's rulings and didn't cap local bandwidth. But as always ICASA will take on all the smaller companies considering they cant put up as much of a fight or give them a big ol "up yours" like telscum is currently doing.
 
I'm with you 56Man..... hehheheehehehe

Look on the bright side, it will take us back to our youth where we used to rent betamax tapes from the corner cafe :D
I love feeling young again!
Methinks they should just bring back the whole benny hill and carry-on series while they're at it.
 
South African satellite pay-TV operator MultiChoice, owner of the DStv bouquet, is to launch an on-demand service designed to operate with the DStv PVR decoder in October. The PVR (personal video recorder) decoder has already been in the market for two years.
OK, so you need
1. An expensive PVR
2. Premium DSTV account
2. Fast internet (700kb/s)
... and then you will only get reruns of programmes from DSTV. They will also degrade the quality so that you can't do much with it.

Recipe for failure unless it's freeeeee!
 
Last edited:
I dont think DSTV care about ADSL Broadband ... its the Wimax that I think they wanna use ... and that is by MWEB/Altech


Just some suckers that want free TV on ADSL make a nice test platform.
 
I must be missing something as well??? - if you need a pvr and a subscription why oh why would you want to download episodes via DSL (which you need to pay extra for the bandwidth)
 
I must be missing something as well??? - if you need a pvr and a subscription why oh why would you want to download episodes via DSL (which you need to pay extra for the bandwidth)

IPTV is not "Video on Demand" ... its a TV station broadcast via broadband.
 
I must be missing something as well??? - if you need a pvr and a subscription why oh why would you want to download episodes via DSL (which you need to pay extra for the bandwidth)
When you're at work some Saturday and the rugby is on, or you're travelling abroad and cant miss that episode of Egoli (gag)?
IPTV is not "Video on Demand" ... its a TV station broadcast via broadband.
From the look of things you can stream or download shows.
 
Last edited:
When you're at work some Saturday and the rugby is on, or you're travelling abroad and cant miss that episode of Egoli (gag)?From the look of things you can stream or download shows.

Which is why I own a Tivo... Full remote control (it all runs on linux)...
heck, I can even upload pictures to my Tivo for my kids to watch while I'm on the road... FTP to tivo and then just press three remote buttons for slideshow...

Of course there's MythTV as well...
 
From the look of things you can stream or download shows.

Downloading Shows is not part of IPTV, but Video-on-demand is usually bunded with. If the IPTV system doesn't use a Set-top-box, then some form of DRM will be used. I think Irdeto will be the DRM provider for this exercise and I really dont know how they are going to lock PC's to avoid recording/rebroadcasting. the STB route can use smartcard/electronic locks to protect content.

do some maths... 512K per Stream.. 1 person per house watching 1 episode of X ... how many people can watch before the backhaul bandwidth and ADSL contention ratios are maxed out?
 
Which is why I own a Tivo... Full remote control (it all runs on linux)...
heck, I can even upload pictures to my Tivo for my kids to watch while I'm on the road... FTP to tivo and then just press three remote buttons for slideshow...

Of course there's MythTV as well...
Pity tivo doesn't support the dual view functionality that the PVR does. My kids watch what they want while my missus is watching what she wants and I end up recording what I want to watch later - lol - odd how it works out like that! :D

This endeavour seems to be on par with what the networks are doing stateside where you can catch up on missed episodes at work on the bosses dime :)
 
My kids watch what they want while my missus is watching what she wants and I end up recording what I want to watch later - lol - odd how it works out like that! :D

Then you are the lucky one, no? You have the option of keeping your show. ;)
 
OH JOY!!!! Now I can watch Carte Blanche with Derek Watt's face being a big ugly pixel blob on my monitor because of our kuk Internet speeds and prices :mad:

At 512K, when I could afford it for a few months that is, could only just and I mean JUST stream low res youtube videos :mad:

Watch them charge extra for this service just to put the cherry on top for us :D nochoice has now become kukchoice. :p
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X