MWEB complaint

Howzit Gamers, Dev's, Techies, and everybody else

I am with MWEB 4meg uncapped ADSL and use Telkom for the 4meg line.

Since before, and after the cable broke at sea this year I have been getting an internet service comparable to feces. I am being shaped so hard that I am reading up on the Consumer rights and protection act of SA.

I lose connection randomly, connections fail to re-establish, and I observe appalling downstream speeds for the most part of the day. Numbers ranging 185kpbs downstream and 508kbps upstream on a 4meg connection are you serious?

Since the cables at sea broke this year I have experienced pathetic speeds and connectivity issues. The last 6 months has been the worst service ever. When we first got onto the 4meg uncapped package I saw SpeedTest.net giving me download speeds of 1.5 to 2.5mbps. I am now getting shaped to 120/18/500kbps. If I am lucky and nothing is acting up I actually get a whole 1.1mbps download speed, shaped to 1200kbps downsteam. These numbers all come from my router connection status.

My average monthly data consumption for the last 6 months is around 30-40GB and the most I used was around 70GB when I downloaded BF1 or witcher 3.... There is no reason able to justify your harsh shaping.

For the last 6 months I have felt as if I am paying for a 4 meg line but getting I am getting less than 10% of the speed. This is pathetic MWEB really.

If anybody from MWEB can assist me I will be glad to hear from you.

I have been a customer of yours for many years and the problems seem to be getting progressively worse and more frequently occuring. This makes me second guess your capabilities to deliver a quality service, within respect of the customers expectations of the package they are paying for and the amount of exploitation you subject the customer too. (like giving me less than 10% download speeds, for what I am paying for)

p.s... why am I fighting with MWEB when I could cancel the deal and go to Crystal Web\OpenServe FTTH?

CompSciGuy

ponder

Honorary Master
Why don't you try one of the many free accounts various ISPs offer to test with to eliminate MWEB as the problem?

DERoestorf

Might be better to raise this in the ADSL forum, and not the fibre one, since it is not fibre related.

But anyways, I left Mweb for the same reason, rather spending time without internet, and waiting for fibre instead.

Jimmy-Z

Might be better to raise this in the ADSL forum, and not the fibre one, since it is not fibre related.

But anyways, I left Mweb for the same reason, rather spending time without internet, and waiting for fibre instead.
I've had nothing but good service from Mweb for many years. Telkom, on the other hand, is another story.

OP: How about you post your line stats? It would help troubleshoot the problem, as I doubt Mweb is throttling your line and the symptoms sound more like a line fault. Or maybe contact @mwebhelp here on the forum?

Last edited:

Cube3

Expert Member
That doesn't sound like shaping.

That sounds like you might have a physical line issue.

I had the exact same issue recently, and it took about 3 months to resolve. I logged multiple calls with Telkom (and Mweb), although Telkom was managing the ADSL line , so I dealt with them on this part.

The normal response from Telkom was to change my port on the exchange / reset the port or i'm too far from the exchange which all attributed to the problem. Once port changes and resets done my line would work for about 3 to 5 days and then stuffed for the next 2 weeks until I got my Telkom ticket looked at.

EVENTUALLY I managed to get the Telkom tech to come to my apartment and asked him to test the wires in the wall space. Once he did this he picked up massive electrical feedback over the copper, which is not supposed to happen. Someone else was pushing power onto the copper somewhere in the complex and he disconnected them. After that , my line has been perfect.

So the point being, it might not be Mweb Shaping and you might need a physical inspection via Telkom.

Hey guys, I'm back from a nice fishing trip out at yzterfontein :) At least I don't need internet for that haha

I phoned MWEB earlier, and the very helpful techie advised me to get hold of Telkom after she reported 15 line disconnects for today alone (phoned like 2:30pm). She said she did something to my ports, but that's all she could do.

Tried phoning only to find out that Telkom had nobody available to help as it was past 13\13:30pm... So I need to wait until Monday.

After some research I suspect Telkoms ASSISIA thingy-majiggy might have done something due to the high number of disconnects which might explain the "shaping" i have claimed. Will give an update on Monday after the call.

@Jimmy-Z that's a good point! Here are some of my stats:

Connection Speed: 1277 kbps downstream \ 509 kbps upstream
Line Attenuation: 60.0 db \ 39.5 db
Noise Margin: 9.10 db \ 18.5 db

Lucky for me I have a 1.1mb coming through besides one or two DC's

Lekker Naweek

Last edited:
UPDATE****

After much phoning around between Telkom and MWEB something seems to be going right:

- From way back, when I upgraded from the 2meg uncapped MWEB package to the 4meg uncapped mweb package, the sales person made the adjustments to the ADSL line rental and moved us from the 2meg to the 4meg ADSL line and we were billed for it.

- Sometime between upgrading 1 year ago and today, the line speed was changed to a 1meg (without notification or consent) and was billed to us as 2meg ADSL line speed under Telkoms DSL Fast bundle at R144.75 a month. So besides the change to the ADSL line rental we have been given a 1meg speed at the cost of a 2meg line speed and billed for it for the last X months.

- Today, while phoning Telkom, somebody must have changed something without bringing it to my attention while on the phone with them. My line speed **magically** went from 1024kbps to 2045kbps. At least I am now getting the line speed that my father has been billed for, for the last X amount of months.

So I now have two things left to accomplish:
A) Get the money back for the last X amount of months we have been paying for the 2meg ADSL line, but given the 1meg ADSL line service and speed.
B) Change from this 2 meg ADSL line to the appropriate 4 meg line.

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THINGS CAN CHANGE LIKE THIS, ESPECIALLY WHEN MONEY IS INVOLVED. There is some funky stuff happening behind the scenes here, and I will not stand for it.

Update on connection statistics:
Connection Speed: 2045 kbps Downstream \ 509 kbps Upstream
Line Attenuation: 58.0 db \ 39.5 db
Noise Margin: 6.05 db \ 17.0 db

As of this moment, these statistics reflect the current package and line speed I am being billed for. Now I just need to get the 4meg ADSL line going.

Last edited: