Mweb FON routers

RenegadeWolf

Hi Guys

I have a few questions regarding these FON routers MWEB are pushing, but first some backstory:

My Father currently has the 4 Mbps Uncapped Premium ADSL + Line product from MWEB.

Some Mweb call centre rep called him and asked him to swap to the new Mweb FON router free of charge. They also threw in a range extender as well.
He got it and asked me to install it and see what it is all about.

From the little pamphlet that came with the router, it is supposed to be all nice and easy and plug and play, but what worries me is the "public hotspot" that anyone with a FON account would use.

My father is in an apartment complex where the Wifi signal on all channels are already kind of saturated.
To make matters worse his next door neighbor is a restaurant.

Now the questions that I have are the following:

How does it provide this second wireless network's bandwidth?
Does it increase the line sync speed to say 6Mbps and then still give my dad his 4Mbps and the rest to the guest network or does it reduce my Father's speed by a percentage.

My father's main use of internet is streaming youtube video's (Talking full length 1hr+ music shows and the like) and , playing online games (Downloading those latest 10GB+ games from steam aswell as playing some of them online) and skype video calls.
He is already on a "just enough to work" stage with the current Wifi + internet setup. Surely the added clients to the router shall make the Wifi even slower?

I am not a fan of range extenders as I tried one a few years back and it effectively halved the wifi spectrum available by repeating the signal.
So if anyone has any comments on the one that mweb supplied if it is worth looking into again, please let me know.

Basically I need some info regarding this whole FON setup. Like a Pro's and cons list.

If it doesn't degrade his current service at all, then sure go for it; But if it does impact his current service, I need to weigh up that impact with the luxury of having a FON account to use while roaming for internet access. (Which needs to be a pretty amazing, since nowadays you can get free internet just about everywhere you go.

Thanks!
RenegadeWolf

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
Hi Guys

I have a few questions regarding these FON routers MWEB are pushing, but first some backstory:

My Father currently has the 4 Mbps Uncapped Premium ADSL + Line product from MWEB.

Some Mweb call centre rep called him and asked him to swap to the new Mweb FON router free of charge. They also threw in a range extender as well.
He got it and asked me to install it and see what it is all about.

From the little pamphlet that came with the router, it is supposed to be all nice and easy and plug and play, but what worries me is the "public hotspot" that anyone with a FON account would use.

My father is in an apartment complex where the Wifi signal on all channels are already kind of saturated.
To make matters worse his next door neighbor is a restaurant.

Now the questions that I have are the following:

How does it provide this second wireless network's bandwidth?
Does it increase the line sync speed to say 6Mbps and then still give my dad his 4Mbps and the rest to the guest network or does it reduce my Father's speed by a percentage.

My father's main use of internet is streaming youtube video's (Talking full length 1hr+ music shows and the like) and , playing online games (Downloading those latest 10GB+ games from steam aswell as playing some of them online) and skype video calls.
He is already on a "just enough to work" stage with the current Wifi + internet setup. Surely the added clients to the router shall make the Wifi even slower?

I am not a fan of range extenders as I tried one a few years back and it effectively halved the wifi spectrum available by repeating the signal.
So if anyone has any comments on the one that mweb supplied if it is worth looking into again, please let me know.

Basically I need some info regarding this whole FON setup. Like a Pro's and cons list.

If it doesn't degrade his current service at all, then sure go for it; But if it does impact his current service, I need to weigh up that impact with the luxury of having a FON account to use while roaming for internet access. (Which needs to be a pretty amazing, since nowadays you can get free internet just about everywhere you go.

Thanks!
RenegadeWolf

Good Afternoon RenegadeWolf

The data of the home network will be prioritised over FON traffic.

The FON users will only be able to use the FON hotspot if there is available bandwidth.

FON bandwidth will not be added to your dads account, as the traffic are separated. We will be able to pick up the FON bandwidth and connections and the home users bandwidth.

I hope that gives you some answers as to how it works ;)

Hope you have FONtastic day :D