MWEB Uncapped ADSL Feedback - Part 3

Necuno

Court Jester
Is there even the "throttled" uncapped account that mweb were offering a few months ago? Or have the "throttled" packages become the standard package?

What happend was that mweb had a normal uncapped account, but after telkom dropped their pricing they responding by rebranding their normal into premium. With that normal was created from the already existing normal to mitigate telkom's pricing.

Now without giving notice or anything they tried to slide pass a sly lie... the black box continues.

Even their small business carries a throttling:
http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricing/2/SmallBusiness/adsl/UncappedAdsl.aspx
MWEB reserves the right to throttle the ADSL service on the 2Mbps and 4Mbps line speed packages based on individual usage patterns and usage history.
which one can only read as:
normal = premium = small business. Skel rebranding at work.

Pansyfaust

Wow, so I actually checked my mweb inbox, seems I also got the email, I average over a 100gb/month. It is still under half of the theoretical limits I could download each month. In fact I'm more pissed that what I thought was an unthrottled account has now become a throttled account without any communication of the fact from mweb. Going to really think this through and ponder a change of ISP. So I will really be throttled because in the next few months some games are coming out that I want to download via steam? Basically for the foreseable future as now a newly realised "Throttled" account holder (whereas a few months ago I was not) I cannot go over 100gb a month? FFS mweb just sell 100gb capped accounts then. ****.

@MwebGuy, try to convince me to stay as I really enjoy mwebs hassle free service and setup, but blatant changing of package conditions without a drop in price or mention to customers is frakking deceitful.

Edit: What the hell is the difference between the Uncapped Premium 1meg and the standard Uncapped 1meg??? They are both the same price?

Last edited:

Lord-Flame13

So if forwarded that email to each of their email address seeking answers with "certain defined parameters" nicely bold and highlighted. Here's the reply i got

Good day

We do not believe that it is in keeping with the spirit of our uncapped products to outline a set of rules for all customers to follow, or to specify bandwidth/data limits per day/week/month. The limits have been carefully selected to manage on the small percentage of users abusing the products.

As such we have elected not to publish any specific thresholds. Firstly as we know that making these limits public empowers abusers with methods to circumvent the rules and makes them less effective and secondly because this affects less than 3% of our client base and we don’t think that the other 97% should have to concern themselves with a limit they are unlikely to ever reach.

Kind regards
Richard Vice
Security & Abuse Administrator
Fax: + 27 021 5968915
abuse@mweb.com
mailabuse@mweb.com

MWEB Head Office, Private Bag X001, N1 City, Cape Town, South Africa, 7463
www.mweb.co.za

Rabobi

Executive Member
So they want you to play by the rules but redact the rules, how epically retarded

Lydon

Expert Member
MWeb's manner of dealing with this fallout should forever be used as the perfect example of how to cause a PR mess :D Epic fail all around.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
This has to be one of the most retarded/deceitful things ive ever seen a company do, "stick to the rules but we aren't going to tell you what the rules are." If satan owned a company it would be Naspers.

chris_meier

From Richard Vice, as per Lord-Flame 13
we don’t think that the other 97% should have to concern themselves with a limit they are unlikely to ever reach.
From the article on the main page
“Just to be clear, we see that on average all our users are consuming a bit more data every month,” Hershaw said.

“It’s driven by things like multiple devices in the home, more HD content and even the fact that Telkom has bumped up lines speeds a couple of times. So we expect this sort of trend.”
So will the mystery 'threshold' continue to be raised in accordance with the other 97%, or are all your departments working from a different rule book?

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
Aag it will be easy for MWEB to gather new customers for those who have left. With Nuus24 gone and Beeld, Burger and Volksblad behind a paywall (very weak paywalls, LOL) they should just say that since MWEB is part of Naspers, all the MWEB uncapped subscribers will have GRATIS! access to Beeld, Burger, Volksblad and Rapport. The tannies and ooms will flock to MWEB because of the R99 BESPARING! ELKE MAAND! Dish out a free download of a Bles Bridges CD and a free Leon Schuster movie and they will have more new subscribers than they have lost.

Necuno

Court Jester
Kindly provide us these limits. You keep on saying keep withing the limits, but you forget to give us the limits.

If you need an example this might help:

Package: Uncapped 384kbps
6 hour limit in GB: 0.305
7 day limit in GB: 4.25

This will reset each 10 days.
Lets recap so far:

Mweb - Can't define out rolling windows
Web Africa - Limits Defined
Axxess - Limits Defined
Afrihost - Limits Defined
Isat - Limits Defined
WebNow - Limits Defined

Fishzn

Aag it will be easy for MWEB to gather new customers for those who have left. With Nuus24 gone and Beeld, Burger and Volksblad behind a paywall (very weak paywalls, LOL) they should just say that since MWEB is part of Naspers, all the MWEB uncapped subscribers will have GRATIS! access to Beeld, Burger, Volksblad and Rapport. The tannies and ooms will flock to MWEB because of the R99 BESPARING! ELKE MAAND! Dish out a free download of a Bles Bridges CD and a free Leon Schuster movie and they will have more new subscribers than they have lost.
Ahahahahaha - this sounds epically crazy on one hand but scarily possible on the other :erm: :crying:

bwana

MyBroadband
Please continue the discussion here…

Mod note: last 15 posts of previous thread moved here for the sake of continuity.

Robin Hood

Expert Member
what do you mean...i get 19kbps....after a throttling this morning 12 Aug....and so far...my download was only 41Gb :mad:
( and this on a 4mbps-line)

Personally i think, what makes us customers SO upset....is we get NO WARNING about our downloads. The LEAST mweb could have done is, ADVISE us via email and just say.."cool it buddy, you have reached x-amount so far...another y-amount and you'll be throttled"

At least THIS way, customers can PREPARE themselves...and PLAN AHEAD!
...OR....ADVISE US VIA THE CONTROL PANEL!

Last edited:

AthenianOwl

Executive Member
what do you mean...i get 19kbps....after a throttling this morning 12 Aug....and so far...my download was only 41Gb :mad:
( and this on a 4mbps-line)

Personally i think, what makes us customers SO upset....is we get NO WARNING about our downloads. The LEAST mweb could have done is, ADVISE us via email and just say.."cool it buddy, you have reached x-amount so far...another y-amount and you'll be throttled"

At least THIS way, customers can PREPARE themselves...and PLAN AHEAD!
Move to another ISP will fulfill the rest of your life with pure happiness.

Robin Hood

Expert Member
Move to another ISP will fulfill the rest of your life with pure happiness.
...HAVE already advised mweb....Starting 1st Sept i'll be at Afrihost...on a CAPPED 100gb, this way i know where i stand...

PS: This INCLUDES a 10mbps ADSL-line for a mere R697-00/month (speed + cap)

(Doubt if i'll EVER go to an uncapped acount again...had too much of a "skrik"!)

...this was my FIRST experience with an "uncapped"-account...lol
Cause i also thought...uncapped....meant UNCAPPED!

Last edited:

Necuno

Court Jester
Kindly provide us these limits. You keep on saying keep withing the limits, but you forget to give us the limits.

If you need an example this might help:

Package: Uncapped 384kbps
6 hour limit in GB: 0.305
7 day limit in GB: 4.25

This will reset each 10 days.
Lets recap so far:

Mweb - Can't define out rolling windows
Web Africa - Limits Defined
Axxess - Limits Defined
Afrihost - Limits Defined
Isat - Limits Defined
WebNow - Limits Defined