MyBB deleted all my Disqus comments

_neo

MyBB deleted my Disqus comments

An article about Makro's delivery boxes was recently posted, and I, amoung others, pointed out that the article was a form of clickbait. I now see that every single comment I have ever posted has been removed. How is that fair? Or was it automated? Interestingly, I have not been banned. I have not attacked MyBB in any way, having only pointed out that the article was a form of clickbait. Plus, I wasn't the only one to do so.

What did I do wrong?

(Edit: seems it's only recent comments - up to 22 days ago)

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thor got an infraction for doing so. Yours was probably due to the top of the disqus thread stating that you may not attack the journalist, which accusing Kevin of clickbait they consider so.

I agree that it was a form of clickbait, the title should have been something like "Great experience using Makro's new delivery boxes".

McT

The Humble Scot!
The quality of comments in Disqus has progressively deteriorated to a point where I no longer read them or comment in them. Personally I see no point in it. Perhaps the only place where Disqus comments have retained some quality is in articles on Tech Central; elsewhere it is equally satisfying as reading a Huisgenoot.

TehStranger

Executive Member
Disqus comments have zero value most of the time, especially when there is a forum attached to the articles being commented on.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
An article about Makro's delivery boxes was recently posted, and I, amoung others, pointed out that the article was a form of clickbait. I now see that every single comment I have ever posted has been removed. How is that fair? Or was it automated? Interestingly, I have not been banned. I have not attacked MyBB in any way, having only pointed out that the article was a form of clickbait. Plus, I wasn't the only one to do so.

What did I do wrong?

Don't waste your time on Disqus. The forum is where we talk.

skye.za

What did I do wrong?

In a nutshell they don't want any form of criticism. It is all about the moola.

I had the same issue. I called out a dstv article for being clickbait & received an infraction.

The infraction was for "trolling and/or derailing thread".

The thread was later updated and people who considered it clickbait were told to voice concerns in the clickbait thread.

There is a recurring theme of running ads as "content/articles"

This happened today with the Nissan article, happens a lot with DSTV, Makro and Afrihost.

That clickbait thread is a way to hide all dissatisfaction and criticism from the site.

Oh and don't comment on the quality of journalism, it doesn't go well.

Edit : Jan wrote the article I commented on but Kevin found it necessary to hand out an infraction.

Last edited:

skye.za

Disqus comments have zero value most of the time, especially when there is a forum attached to the articles being commented on.
The forums are censored as well. I don't see the point in commenting anymore.

I say, remove the ability to comment on all articles. We are heading in that direction anyway.

Thor

Honorary Master
I was given a warning by Kevin when I pointed it out. Seems this new wind blowing in mybb.

I will continue to point out partner content that is not marked as partner content.

Thor

Honorary Master
In a nutshell they don't want any form of criticism. It is all about the moola.

I had the same issue. I called out a dstv article for being clickbait & received an infraction.

The infraction was for "trolling and/or derailing thread".

The thread was later updated and people who considered it clickbait were told to voice concerns in the clickbait thread.

There is a recurring theme of running ads as "content/articles"

This happened today with the Nissan article, happens a lot with DSTV, Makro and Afrihost.

That clickbait thread is a way to hide all dissatisfaction and criticism from the site.

Oh and don't comment on the quality of journalism, it doesn't go well.

Edit : Jan wrote the article I commented on but Kevin found it necessary to hand out an infraction.
Jip I also got trolling and derailing for pointing it out.

Beachless

Executive Member
I'm also against this new way of censoring the mybb community. The forum\site is totally about profit these days and the community that grew it has very little value.

My post content has gone the same direction though I no longer add to any meaningful discussions.

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
I'm also against this new way of censoring the mybb community. The forum\site is totally about profit these days and the community that grew it has very little value.
Correct I'm getting the feeling our time ain't appreciated at all. Nevermind worth something.

beans100

Executive Member
Agree with the click bait but RPM did make a thread for pointing it out when forum news article threads are click bait.
It is here: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...uot-Clickbait-quot-Thread?highlight=clickbait
Our aim is to provide headlines which inform users of what they can expect in an article,
And the title of that article ("I ordered a hard drive to a Makro locker – This is what happened") plays on the curiousity and "see the world burn" side of the reader, "is this a complaint" or "did this guy loose his order". I'm with @Johnatan56, with his suggestion of a better title. As per quote, from RPM's thread (see above), I didn't expect what I found in the article. Probably me "wanting to see the world burn" expectation.

beans100

Executive Member
I was given a warning by Kevin when I pointed it out. Seems this new wind blowing in mybb.

I will continue to point out partner content that is not marked as partner content.
Same wind blowing in government, where they want to censor everything.....soon, there'll be no more freedom of speech.

Sugarman

Making Sugar
And the title of that article ("I ordered a hard drive to a Makro locker – This is what happened") plays on the curiousity and "see the world burn" side of the reader, "is this a complaint" or "did this guy loose his order". I'm with @Johnatan56, with his suggestion of a better title. As per quote, from RPM's thread (see above), I didn't expect what I found in the article. Probably me "wanting to see the world burn" expectation.
Yes yes. But this iron fist approach got worst with the Magazine launch, also think the staff just got tired of the trolls and now just see anyone with a negative comment as one

Really? Care to share that memo with us mods? We seemed to have missed it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Really? Care to share that memo with us mods? We seemed to have missed it.
I don't think he means you mods, you are nice, upstanding MyBB forumites. :p
He's implying Kevin, whose articles sometimes leave something to be desired, which is strange since sometimes he writes quite good/witty articles.