Need a consistent and reliable home internet solution here in Midrand!

musikwala

Hi everyone! :) I need your help and advice on a reliable but reasonably priced home internet solution. My wife and I use Skype and Voip software a lot, so it has to be particularly good for video chat and internet calling. I live in Midrand and have moved within Midrand a couple of times in the last 2 years.

Initially I tried Vodacom's prepaid bundles but they were getting to be too expensive for the amount of net surfing I do from home. So then I switched to iburst wireless which was good while it lasted. Recently I moved again within Midrand and this particular area unfortunately seems to have poor coverage from iburst. So I'm wondering what to do...

1. There are no telkom lines in this complex. So I suppose ADSL is out of the question.

2. Is it possible to get some sort of wireless repeater or booster that will improve my iburst signal? Both Hi-Fi Corp and Incredible Connection were clueless about these things. And Poynting suggested something which is going to cost at least R2500 including installation. Plus I would have to take permission from my landlord to install a Poynting antenna because I only rent this apt. Isn't there a free standing device available out there that can boost my weak signals??

3. I got an 8ta prepaid sim today to check out their signals. It had great reception on my phone while I purchased a data bundle. But as soon as I inserted it in my vodacom 3G data card to test it out, first it went into roaming. Then, on the second try onwards it wouldn't even connect saying "Please insert correct sim". I do not want to get into a 24 month contract without making sure 8ta has coverage in this area!! The 10 gig deal sure sounds good though.

4. Should I go WiMax?? But it seems to be an expensive option. Or am I mistaken?

Ideally I wish I had a landline in this complex so I can go with Mweb uncapped ADSL which seems to be the best option out there. But what is the next best option? Please help with your inputs!

InSanity

Supre Grnadmastre
Have you checked with telkom that there are no lines available there ?

Mr K

Hi everyone! :) I need your help and advice on a reliable but reasonably priced home internet solution. My wife and I use Skype and Voip software a lot, so it has to be particularly good for video chat and internet calling. I live in Midrand and have moved within Midrand a couple of times in the last 2 years.

Initially I tried Vodacom's prepaid bundles but they were getting to be too expensive for the amount of net surfing I do from home. So then I switched to iburst wireless which was good while it lasted. Recently I moved again within Midrand and this particular area unfortunately seems to have poor coverage from iburst. So I'm wondering what to do...

1. There are no telkom lines in this complex. So I suppose ADSL is out of the question.

2. Is it possible to get some sort of wireless repeater or booster that will improve my iburst signal? Both Hi-Fi Corp and Incredible Connection were clueless about these things. And Poynting suggested something which is going to cost at least R2500 including installation. Plus I would have to take permission from my landlord to install a Poynting antenna because I only rent this apt. Isn't there a free standing device available out there that can boost my weak signals??

3. I got an 8ta prepaid sim today to check out their signals. It had great reception on my phone while I purchased a data bundle. But as soon as I inserted it in my vodacom 3G data card to test it out, first it went into roaming. Then, on the second try onwards it wouldn't even connect saying "Please insert correct sim". I do not want to get into a 24 month contract without making sure 8ta has coverage in this area!! The 10 gig deal sure sounds good though.

4. Should I go WiMax?? But it seems to be an expensive option. Or am I mistaken?

Ideally I wish I had a landline in this complex so I can go with Mweb uncapped ADSL which seems to be the best option out there. But what is the next best option? Please help with your inputs!
I would say the next best thing would be 8ta. i am in midrand and using cellc at the moment. will be getting 8ta once my 12 months with cell c are finished. Try using different software with vodacom data card. It should work.

Venomous

Honorary Master
the 8ta sim:

the rep started a thread a while ago regarding how you can get the sim forced to 8ta only.

If i remember a lil, you had to send an email. Maybe go see his/her started threads....

Venomous

Honorary Master
I would say the next best thing would be 8ta. i am in midrand and using cellc at the moment. will be getting 8ta once my 12 months with cell c are finished. Try using different software with vodacom data card. It should work.
He would need to flash the unit with the manufacturer's software.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
So then I switched to iburst wireless which was good while it lasted. Recently I moved again within Midrand and this particular area unfortunately seems to have poor coverage from iburst. So I'm wondering what to do...
Have you tried an external antenna with your iBurst?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

You can buy an omni http://www.iburst.co.za/neuvo.aspx?link=get_hardware_antenna for only R399 an mount it on the burglar bars of a window with a woodworking clamp. This is ususally sufficient. If you PM me your UTID I'll have some give you a call to assist.

musikwala

Thanks for the responses, guys!

@ginggs: I have not tried an external antenna yet. iBurst quoted a flat panel antenna for R500 (+ install R350/hr + R130 for some other fee...) and also said that it would have to be installed closer to their tower, not in my apt. :confused:

@r00igev@@r: I will pass on the UTID after I get home from work. I suppose I would find it on my usb modem?

Otherwise I should just bite the bullet and go with 8ta's 24 month contract. All I'm hearing of it is good reviews. My co-worker has it too.

But is there any way I can use my Vodacom dongle for it? What software do I need to "flash" it with? What exactly does that mean? Sorry... a newbie here. :)

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Thanks for the responses, guys!

@ginggs: I have not tried an external antenna yet. iBurst quoted a flat panel antenna for R500 (+ install R350/hr + R130 for some other fee...) and also said that it would have to be installed closer to their tower, not in my apt. :confused:

@r00igev@@r: I will pass on the UTID after I get home from work. I suppose I would find it on my usb modem?

Otherwise I should just bite the bullet and go with 8ta's 24 month contract. All I'm hearing of it is good reviews. My co-worker has it too.

But is there any way I can use my Vodacom dongle for it? What software do I need to "flash" it with? What exactly does that mean? Sorry... a newbie here. :)

You can take your dongle to a telkom shop and they will unlock the device for you.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Vodacom data cards are known that they do not accept other SIM cards. Solution is simple. Do not allow to load and install software from the card. If installed already, unload it from the memory. Then use small MDMA for dialing.

musikwala

Vodacom data cards are known that they do not accept other SIM cards. Solution is simple. Do not allow to load and install software from the card. If installed already, unload it from the memory. Then use small MDMA for dialing.

So, are you saying that I should uninstall the vodacom mobile connect software from my computer? And then try with the 8ta sim? What do you mean by small MDMA? :confused:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Yes, You need just drivers for the modem. It was installed already. It will be probably uninstalled when you uninstall Vodacom software (which I do suggest). The next time you plug-in modem it will install drivers, but respond "no" when it tries to install software from the stick.

MDMA? see here:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/59080