New Dual Core Intel Atom netbooks announced

ssteynfaardt

This is awesome - Soon the only difference between notebooks and netbooks will be whether is has an optical drive :)

Boomstomp

nah, there is still a market for both powerfull notebooks and for the energy efficient/low power netbooks. I think both will continue to trive :D

TBH, I'm currently more interested in the application of Atom chips outside of netbooks. One can build wonderfull little servers with them :D

SomeoneEls

nah, there is still a market for both powerfull notebooks and for the energy efficient/low power netbooks. I think both will continue to trive :D

TBH, I'm currently more interested in the application of Atom chips outside of netbooks. One can build wonderfull little servers with them :D
Just out of interest what servers do you build with them? Web-servers, NAS's??

Boomstomp

I havent built anything yet, but I'm looking at building a NAS type server, possibly with Amahi on it, or some form of server Ubuntu.

Since you buy the board with cpu already on, its a nice package for cheap, and the board from Asus i'm eyeing is completely passive cooled, and powerful enough to be a HTPC (without PVR functionality). Can output HD and 7 channel audio :D

ITCynic

Expert Member
I havent built anything yet, but I'm looking at building a NAS type server, possibly with Amahi on it, or some form of server Ubuntu.

Since you buy the board with cpu already on, its a nice package for cheap, and the board from Asus i'm eyeing is completely passive cooled, and powerful enough to be a HTPC (without PVR functionality). Can output HD and 7 channel audio :D

Compare the Atom board with an inexpensive Asus board and CPU, it will work out cheaper and more on-board features.

Boomstomp

well, yes. But the fact is if you are planning to let it run 24/7 for 2-3 years minimum, then having something drawing almost no power and being 100% silent does have a strong appeal! Plus the small form-factor = > easy to hide/stash behind something

ITCynic

Expert Member
well, yes. But the fact is if you are planning to let it run 24/7 for 2-3 years minimum, then having something drawing almost no power and being 100% silent does have a strong appeal! Plus the small form-factor = > easy to hide/stash behind something

Have a look at http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/motherboards/desktop/DH57JG/overview/442279.htm specs. It is the same form factor as the Atom boards. Supports i3 & i5 processors. You could probably find some passive cooling or ultra quiet fans to reduce noise.

Unfortunately it does push up the price somewhat.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
I'd rather have something that is ARM based.

Why? I'm sure most people would be better off with something more mainstream*, i.e. x86 based.

*mainstream in this case for the consumer market in terms of software etc.

ponder

Honorary Master
Why? I'm sure most people would be better off with something more mainstream*, i.e. x86 based.

Power consumption. I'm not most people and happy to use a OS/software that is not windows based.

Saajid

Expert Member
Any idea when will see netbooks with this Dual Core Intel Atom processor hitting the shelves in RSA? Any idea on pricing?

Do you think I will be able to get one (netbook) for R3,000 - R3,500?

SomeoneEls

What can you build???

Tonnes load of different things

Check out what this guy built!!
HERE

Was asking what he builds with them, as i have 2 atom HTPC's and 2 NAS's at work that I built with atom boards.

Nice project you linked to though! Never heard of the form-factor he used though ECX.

Power consumption. I'm not most people and happy to use a OS/software that is not windows based.
+ 1 , for ARM (.. and Debian)

Mine uses < 5W and no fan.
Looked at using ARM boards, but couldn't find a stockist in SA.... Where did you get yours from? What OS are your running, ubuntu/debian??

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
Just bought a 1201N which comes with a dual core atom CPU and Ion chipset. I'll let you guys know how it runs over the next week or so.

Last edited:

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
No, nothing out there with the brand new cpu's.

South African suppliers get new hardware 9 months after the rest of the world. Also they are sitting on huge mountains of unsold, ridiculously overpriced first gen netbooks which they refuse to discount. (Based on the N270/80 cpu's.)

They're resisting getting newer stuff so that the older stuff isn't seen as 'obsolete'.

chopsuey

Looked at using ARM boards, but couldn't find a stockist in SA.... Where did you get yours from? What OS are your running, ubuntu/debian??

Not a ARM board, but more of a full ARM computer/server (.. worked for my needs): GuruServer

Using Debian Testing.

[EDIT]: Bought it directly from the site.

Last edited: