New Google Chromecast and Chromecast Audio

saor

Honorary Master
A bit more actual info:

Audio version left, TV version right (with bendy HDMI cable):
_85804679_c5ce4a41-47d5-4ac0-85ff-e34baa25dac8.jpg

Details on the new Chromecast:
More significantly, Google has updated the guts of the Chromecast to include support for modern Wi-Fi streaming standards (802.11ac, 5Ghz). There are three different antennas in the device for optimized Wi-Fi streaming, whereas the first Chromecast only had one. In fact, the Chromecast team says it worked with the Google OnHub team to design the Chromecast's new antenna structure.

There's also something called "Fast Play" being introduced with the new Chromecast. It's a way for the Chromecast to pre-fetch a video streaming app (like Netflix) and video content it thinks you'll want to watch before you hit play. Though the technical details are a little complicated (think coordination between your phone, the Chromecast's software, and the web service delivering the video), the results are meant to equal less time waiting before you get your Narcos fix....

Continued at source
Chromecast website: https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/?utm_source=chromecast.com

Priced at $35 each.

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
Is is just me or is it a pity that the audio unit is also $35? I mean, it transmits no video, so I'd expect it would be a bit cheaper (say $25 or so).

still pretty cool, though.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I just started using the original I bought a year and a half ago. Steaming the RWC from chrome on my pc. Other than that, I just cast YouTube direct from android to my smartTV.

falcon786

Honorary Master
More significantly, Google has updated the guts of the Chromecast to include support for modern Wi-Fi streaming standards (802.11ac, 5Ghz). There are three different antennas in the device for optimized Wi-Fi streaming, whereas the first Chromecast only had one. In fact, the Chromecast team says it worked with the Google OnHub team to design the Chromecast's new antenna structure.

Nice,this is the only problem I have with my current chromecast especially with bigger high bitrate HD movie files it pauses too often.An uncluttered wifi band should sort this out.

When will we be able to get it from takealot?:p

adsl2

Expert Member
Nice,this is the only problem I have with my current chromecast especially with bigger high bitrate HD movie files it pauses too often.An uncluttered wifi band should sort this out.

When will we be able to get it from takealot?:p

I was wondering the same thing earlier..

diabolus

Executive Member
Chromecast Audio works with multiple apps, including Spotify, Pandora, and Google Play Music.

Out of interest, are any of those mentioned services even available in SA ? (without any region bypassing trickery)

Mr Feesh

Expert Member
Such a pity my brother Is leaving the states tomorrow,he tried to order one as soon as they were out but would only get to him on Monday.

Looking forward to the new WiFi features.

Heard the fast play will come to the old ones to? Same say new only tho?

Keens

Takealot has just added the Chromecast 2 to their inventory. Ordered mine today, should receive it Monday :)

cerebus

Honorary Master
Such a pity my brother Is leaving the states tomorrow,he tried to order one as soon as they were out but would only get to him on Monday.

Looking forward to the new WiFi features.

Heard the fast play will come to the old ones to? Same say new only tho?
I believe that's a new only feature. I don't need it though. I'm hardly streaming on mine, it's mostly a Plex server.

abjater

Who has played with the new Chromecast? Is it so much better than the old one? Must I need to want to have to need and own it ? :D

Drifter

Honorary Master
Is this any better than WD TV Live. Mine keeps on asking for a reboot due to low memory, and disconnects from WiFi frequently.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Is this any better than WD TV Live. Mine keeps on asking for a reboot due to low memory, and disconnects from WiFi frequently.

Completely different devices IMO. WD Live I would think is better suited to playback of local media (e.g. local hard drive, flash drive) and Chromecast is purely an internet streaming device.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Completely different devices IMO. WD Live I would think is better suited to playback of local media (e.g. local hard drive, flash drive) and Chromecast is purely an internet streaming device.

Plex on CC, John?

IMO, any streaming \ media device that doesn't have a Plex app is not worth the bother.