No Engagement ring in time for proposal!

Noah_ZA

Hi guys.

As the title suggests, i made the final decision to propose literally a week ago.
So the problem comes in here: I have the perfect proposal planned while we are
on holiday in the cape from the 2nd of Jan 2016, its perfect!

The only problem is...I cant find any decent rings that can be made in such a short
time, and i don't want to rush it. I want it to be unique and well designed to suit her
taste, i always put a lot of effort into things like these but my timing is completely off this time :crying:

Shes a very minimalistic girl and always tells me I MUST NOT break the bank for a ring,
and to rather spend it on our honeymoon. However i feel she deserves to be spoilt to
some extent :p. We always joke around about me proposing with some funky ring you
can win at an arcade or something. (sometimes i think she'd actually like that, but I
want to give her more than that)

SO....
I have the perfect proposal planned, i dont have a ring.
What do I do?

- Buy a budget solitaire and upgrade it over the years as the financial situation allows
- Buy a good looking cheapie ring for the proposal,and we go ring shopping for one she definitely likes after the holiday...even though she wont want me spending anything over R1000 on a ring lol
- Don't propose, get her a personalized,unique and well planned/designed ring and figure out another proposal?
- Propose with a cheapie ring again, and tell her that her real ring is incoming (or something?)?

If you have any other ideas please share them!
Need some serious help here D:

*Would love to her what the ladies think :)

Thanks in advance :)

Ecco

Executive Member
Tough situation. Have you asked her friends what option would be best liked by her? If not her friends, her mom? Best to understand what would work for her.

nic777

Expert Member
Did the same thing while planning a trip back to CPT where we first met. The place and time was way more important than the ring so got a decent enough ring at Galaxy at Canal Walk, they could resize within 24-48 hours, picked it up after work, went to beach and proposed. She still loves the ring as is and wheres it on other hand. We got a "real" ring (diamonds and gold) for wedding.

So I can suggest option 2 but then just leave it, why upgrade the proposal ring? Save up for the real one.

Noah_ZA

She hasnt got a friend i can trust with the secret lol, and shes the type of person who WILL find out whats going on, its incredibly difficult to suprise her :)

I can try her mom...i plan on asking the parents for her hand next week and will ask her mom what she suggests :D.

Noah_ZA

Did the same thing while planning a trip back to CPT where we first met. The place and time was way more important than the ring so got a decent enough ring at Galaxy at Canal Walk, they could resize within 24-48 hours, picked it up after work, went to beach and proposed. She still loves the ring as is and wheres it on other hand. We got a "real" ring (diamonds and gold) for wedding.

So I can suggest option 2 but then just leave it, why upgrade the proposal ring? Save up for the real one.
The ring you bought for the proposal from Galaxy...was it a diamond ring?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I gave my first wife a Power Puff Girl ring out of a lucky packet as an engagement ring. Was awesome. Awesome as in she loved it. I replaced it with a proper version as I could.

(Don't let the first wife part scare you. She was a complete tool.)

saor

Honorary Master
Sit on her finger and ask her to marry you.

saor

Honorary Master
Where can i get a ring and engrave it before the 2nd? :(
If you had time I was going to suggest finding a local machine shop and getting them to cnc / turn you a aluminum or wood ring.

mooks

In my female opinion, the proposal is def more important but it would be nice to have a memento from a sentimentality perspective. I like the idea of having a cheapie, engraved but keepworthy ring on the day and then get the official ring afterwards. And if this was me and my SO? I would expect him to just be honest about the hows and whys of the ring vs proposal timing etc and I'd like the option of whether I want to be involved in the ring selection or not. Although I can be super picky (and almost impossible to please some days), I'd actually prefer my SO to pick the ring entirely.

But thats just my 2c.

SoulTax

Executive Member
Ring is obviously secondary in her mind. It should be the same in yours.

Order and design the ring right now.
Then propose to her with something quirky or something simple, whichever would go down well. After she says yes, if she does, then explain to her that you had a minor set back in getting her ring from the jewelers as you were having it designed and made from scratch. Tell her that the real ring is on its way, but you wanted to make the proposal under those specific conditions on holiday.

Of course with less "matter-o-fact" than my mumblings above. Throw in some panache and charm to suit the woman and the moment, and you will be golden.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Ring is obviously secondary in her mind. It should be the same in yours.

Order and design the ring right now.
Then propose to her with something quirky or something simple, whichever would go down well. After she says yes, if she does, then explain to her that you had a minor set back in getting her ring from the jewelers as you were having it designed and made from scratch. Tell her that the real ring is on its way, but you wanted to make the proposal under those specific conditions on holiday.

Of course with less "matter-o-fact" than my mumblings above. Throw in some panache and charm to suit the woman and the moment, and you will be golden.
I think if you aren't going to have an engagement ring present at the proposal, the best thing to do is have no ring at all and have her approve the design before it's made.

If not, she doesn't get the benefit of a ring at proposal or the benefit of choosing her own ring. Pretty crap imo.

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi guys.

As the title suggests, i made the final decision to propose literally a week ago.
So the problem comes in here: I have the perfect proposal planned while we are
on holiday in the cape from the 2nd of Jan 2016, its perfect!

The only problem is...I cant find any decent rings that can be made in such a short
time, and i don't want to rush it. I want it to be unique and well designed to suit her
taste, i always put a lot of effort into things like these but my timing is completely off this time :crying:

Shes a very minimalistic girl and always tells me I MUST NOT break the bank for a ring,
and to rather spend it on our honeymoon. However i feel she deserves to be spoilt to
some extent :p. We always joke around about me proposing with some funky ring you
can win at an arcade or something. (sometimes i think she'd actually like that, but I
want to give her more than that)

SO....
I have the perfect proposal planned, i dont have a ring.
What do I do?

- Buy a budget solitaire and upgrade it over the years as the financial situation allows
- Buy a good looking cheapie ring for the proposal,and we go ring shopping for one she definitely likes after the holiday...even though she wont want me spending anything over R1000 on a ring lol
- Don't propose, get her a personalized,unique and well planned/designed ring and figure out another proposal?
- Propose with a cheapie ring again, and tell her that her real ring is incoming (or something?)?

If you have any other ideas please share them!
Need some serious help here D:

*Would love to her what the ladies think :)

Thanks in advance :)
Ask her then have the ring made.

I personally know a guy who had a ring made for just over R100k and she said no :D

He could not sell that ring for more than R 50k again. So just be warned.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Ask her then have the ring made.

I personally know a guy who had a ring made for just over R100k and she said no :D

He could not sell that ring for more than R 50k again. So just be warned.
Yes, 2nd hand diamonds have a poor resale value.

znh

I asked my wife with a old coke can cool-drink ring. She now wears it as pendant on a necklace. The ring was less important, the just wanted to be asked. In the end she did not even want diamonds, or a saffire, she opted for a topaz.

Last edited:

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I asked my wife with a old coke can cool-drink ring. She now wears it as pendant on a necklace. The ring was less important, the just wanted to be asked. In the end she did not even want diamonds, or a saffire, she opted for a topaz.
:D

We got married before the magistrate. When I arrived there, it is to discover I forgot our rings.

Used two ring holders for the ceremony :D

A Non Blonde

If your lady is not materialistic and prefers simplicity why not make an "interim" ring yourself?
For some ladies it's the uniqueness, thought and personal effort of the proposal that matters, not the bling.

Try bead suppliers and match the "bling" to suit her personality or from materials that hold some form of sentimental relevance..if the beach is your thing, get a cheapie costume jewellery plain ring, glue beach sand..or as already mentioned flower stems, daisies.

Improvise...and oh, don't ask her Mom ;)