Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

Didn't Italy get a penalty at the end of the 1st half???!!!! WTF??? They didn't take it??!!!
 
Didn't Italy get a penalty at the end of the 1st half???!!!! WTF??? They didn't take it??!!!

Think Kaplan cancelled it coz of the fisticuffs from Italy.

Italy has started badly in this half and their scrum has died without Castrogiovani there. Reckon the Irish will score 3 or 4 more tries...and mess up my SuperBru again.
 
Quarterfinals

Sat, Oct 8 QF 1: Ireland v Wales (07h00)
Sat, Oct 8 QF 2: England v France (09h30)

Sun, Oct 9 QF 3: South Africa v Australia (07h00)
Sun, Oct 9 QF 4: New Zealand v Argentina (09h30)
 
Crap.. :(

That means for us to get to the finals we have to beat Aussie, then NZ.....
 
I'm not worried about the Aussies. Its the All Blacks I think twice about.

The most important aspect of all this: 5 DAYS without rugby. OMG, it means I'll have to actually do something constructive with my mornings.
 
Argentina to beat New Zealand.

Jokes aside Carters injury is huge!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the best rugby in this tournament will have been played in the pool stages.
 
Argentina to beat New Zealand.

Jokes aside Carters injury is huge!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the best rugby in this tournament will have been played in the pool stages.

I disagree, flexibility has been the cornerstone of the AB's campaign, I think they'll rally around and regroup.

Might be a bit frustrating for all those coaches who've been studying him with a magifying glass though, neither Slade nor Weepu have been subject too much scrutiny and Weepu especially seems to have a great sense of space.
 
Quarterfinals

Sat, Oct 8 QF 1: Ireland v Wales (07h00)
Sat, Oct 8 QF 2: England v France (09h30)

Sun, Oct 9 QF 3: South Africa v Australia (07h00)
Sun, Oct 9 QF 4: New Zealand v Argentina (09h30)

Teams in bold will go through
 
I agree with all the picks barring the Aussie one..


There is no way you can call that match, its basically the only really really close match of the lot of them.. Ireland/Wales is tight.. but I reckon Wales have it.
 
WHY THE AUSSIES Stevie ????? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ?

My reason being that the Ausies know how to beat us even though we have a stronger squad. its how you use it. we will be kicking away most of our possesion. Aussies will play a tactical game and keep the ball away from our forwards.

It could go either way, but i feel that they will pip us.
 
My reason being that the Ausies know how to beat us even though we have a stronger squad. its how you use it. we will be kicking away most of our possesion. Aussies will play a tactical game and keep the ball away from our forwards.

It could go either way, but i feel that they will pip us.

With Frans Steyn out I would harbor a guess that they would be more inclined to kick into space at the back than they would have if he was still in the squad. If we can do the following we will win the Ausies:

. If we kick, we should kick the ball out
. Keep the ball tight no aimless kicking for 50/50 balls.
. Play the ball forward with the forwards slowly and surely (Keep playing in their half)
. Force penalties (which will come if you have the ball at the break down)

SA is famous for playing this kind of Rugby and it does win you test matches. We should just not lose focus on this and try and play the Aussie game. They will try and force us to play their rugby for the first 20 minutes. If we can keep the ball and force them to play our Rugby we have the game won.
 
Weather is going to be crucial. Wet weather would suit us the same way it suited the Irish. OZ don't have a kicking game only a devastating running game. If it's dry I fear we might lose.
 
Any word on the ref for the game yet? That is going to be key in this game.
 
i think we play in Wellington. lucky its not Auckland, otherwise it would be in favour of the aussies.
 
Weather is going to be crucial. Wet weather would suit us the same way it suited the Irish. OZ don't have a kicking game only a devastating running game. If it's dry I fear we might lose.

As long as we can stick to our game plan and not turned to theirs we will win. If they do manage to turn our game plan to adopt to theirs it will be lost. I'm sure John Smit has what it takes to make sure we stick to our game plan. This is why I would pick him above Bismark for this clash. We need an extremely good leader for this match.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X