Official 2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

who should be then in the squad that you think is our best 15

Not as much the squad as the starting 15 although I would definitely have beast in the side and would probably have sent across Jaco Taute as the sub for Steyn. Killian would also be a much better choice than JP. In the starting 15, I would have Bismark, Beast, Aplon (for Habana) and Hougard for Du Preez. I would probably also start with Butch instead of Morne Steyn.
 
i would have bismark in smiits place, hougaardt in fdp and aplon for lambie at fullback, he can offer a more allround performance at fullback.
 
Aussie team

15. Kurtley Beale
14. James O’Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
12. Pat McCabe
11. Digby Ioane
10. Quade Cooper
9. Will Genia
8. Radike Samo
7. David Pocock
6. Rocky Elsom
5. James Horwill
4. Dan Vickerman
3. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
1. Sekope Kepu

16. Tatafu Polota Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Ben McCalman
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Anthony Fainga’a
 
i would have bismark in smiits place, hougaardt in fdp and aplon for lambie at fullback, he can offer a more allround performance at fullback.

Aplon for Lambie? Have we been watching the same games?

Lambie has been extremely solid throughout the whole tournament - amazing on attack AND defense. I'm still on the fence when it comes to Fourie...all I know is that we need Hougard on the field - doesn't matter where, just on the field.

Our forwards need to dominate the Aussies, we need good set pieces and starve them of possession. We can't go kicking the ball away like we have against other teams.
 
Aussie team

15. Kurtley Beale
14. James O’Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
12. Pat McCabe
11. Digby Ioane
10. Quade Cooper
9. Will Genia
8. Radike Samo
7. David Pocock
6. Rocky Elsom
5. James Horwill
4. Dan Vickerman
3. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
1. Sekope Kepu

16. Tatafu Polota Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Ben McCalman
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Anthony Fainga’a

If we just kick it down field those in bold will run us ragged. I am hoping to see the forwards doing the most of the work as we as the Aussies betters man for man with regards to the forwards.

Another thing is if habana shoots of his mark we are going to suffer. There is a time and a place for intercepts BUT not every bleeding time the ball goes to the Aussies' wing! :mad:
 
Aplon for Lambie? Have we been watching the same games?

Lambie has been extremely solid throughout the whole tournament - amazing on attack AND defense. I'm still on the fence when it comes to Fourie...all I know is that we need Hougard on the field - doesn't matter where, just on the field.

Agreed. Replacing Lambie with Aplon would be a huge mistake. As elusive as Aplon is he poses very little threat on defense as the bigger guys literally push him aside.

Fourie du Preez has been very average up till now and I'd prefer to have Hougaard on at 9 to be honest however in one or two of the previous games when he and Fourie were on the field together there was some impressive attacking play from the boks.

Another thing is if habana shoots of his mark we are going to suffer. There is a time and a place for intercepts BUT not every bleeding time the ball goes to the Aussies' wing! :mad:

QFT. Just another reason why Habana should be benched. He has become way too predictable and is being marked by the opposition backline and is therefore easily neutralized.

I have to say that I will scream the next time he does it. It drives me crazy.

Perhaps you should tweet him and ask him to please keep to his lines. :p
 
Last edited:
If we just kick it down field those in bold will run us ragged. I am hoping to see the forwards doing the most of the work as we as the Aussies betters man for man with regards to the forwards.

Another thing is if habana shoots of his mark we are going to suffer. There is a time and a place for intercepts BUT not every bleeding time the ball goes to the Aussies' wing! :mad:

When did you start taking make-sense medication? :p

I agree 100% though, we need to make like this is a final and keep that ball in grindy phase the whole game. One or two kicks for position yes but these aimless kicks of late, hell no.
 
Pray for rain.

Aussies running game will be their Achille's heel.

Very true however I feel that if the Boks can't win the Aussies in the dry then they don't deserve to win at all. A victory will be so much sweeter if we can beat them in their optimum playing conditions.
 
aplon have been consistent with all the games he played for the boks, except for 1 game when he missed a few up and unders. i understand he does not fit the style of rubbish rubgy we playing atm. i would rather us playing a more expansive game. aussies is going to run raggit if we just kick the ball away. you can only defend so much, our guys will tire until we cannot defend anymore. we will just be playing in the hands of the aussies.
 
Very true however I feel that if the Boks can't win the Aussies in the dry then they don't deserve to win at all. A victory will be so much sweeter if we can beat them in their optimum playing conditions.

NOT REALLY !!!!

It's the World Cup, nobody is going to care about you beat the opposition....

Having your name engraved on the trophy is all the counts.....
 
its almost like we hoping dan carter gets injured for us to beat the all blacks. we should win in any conditions no matter which oppostion we playing.
 
aplon have been consistent with all the games he played for the boks, except for 1 game when he missed a few up and unders. i understand he does not fit the style of rubbish rubgy we playing atm. i would rather us playing a more expansive game. aussies is going to run raggit if we just kick the ball away. you can only defend so much, our guys will tire until we cannot defend anymore. we will just be playing in the hands of the aussies.
I agree!! He is our most attacking backline player at the mo. People go on and on and on and on about his size and his inability to defend (much as they do about Morne Steyn). Hell, a couple of seasons I was one of those people. He has proved me and everyone else wrong on each and every occasion!!! He is pure class and I have the utmost respect for his abilities as a rugby player!!
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X