OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

I'm due for an upgrade on the 15th of this month and the phone I want is the Desire. I walked into a Vodashop this afternoon to inquire on what the pay-in is going to be on my contract (Talk 130) and the dude initially said about R1 600. I asked him then to double check and he then comes back and says "oops, sorry, it'll be R2 600" !

Eish, maybe it'll work out easier if I buy from from Expansys.

Or go mtn? Paying R340 a month for mine.

@ToxicWazte, like alt146 said...it is a web phone...everything works better in a mobile on the go way. When I first switched on my phone 60km from home, I added my Google details, and almost instantly all my contacts was on my phone, and my calendar was up to date....who needs cables if you got google? I must say though the wireless functions are sometimes cool...I got a phone browser that runs through a web interface on the pc...I sometimes use it if I am browsing online and quickly want to copy 1 or 2 files from or to the phone.
 
Hey guys. Just received my HTC Desire a week ago. What an awesome phone! I have a few questions though:

  1. How do I sync the HTC Desire to my Outlook profile using Bluetooth? I don't want to use a cable each time. Both the Desire and my laptop have Bluetooth, so it should be pretty simple, but I just can't figure it out. I have always been able to sync my Nokia N95 over bluetooth, and expect the same (and more) with the Desire. Is it possible to do this?
    Don't use outlook so wouldn't know
  2. I live in Joburg - where can I find nice cases / covers / protectors etc for my HTC Desire? What do you guys recommend? Are there any decent places online that I can buy from?
    Lab88.co.za can probably also collect seeing as they are in jhb area i think
  3. Is it possible to use a clear plastic screen protector, or will it interfere with the performance of the capacitive touch screen?
    Yes it is possible.. also available through lab88.co.za. Currently have one on my phone and no interference at all
  4. I became very accustomed to using Nokia PC suite with my N95. Does HTC have something similar? The HTC Sync app seems really primitive.
    Never used Pc SUite so depends what you want it for. The pc does automatically pick the phone up though without any software and you select which mode you want to run in on the phone

I know my questions have probably been answered on this thread already, but there are 43 pages to read through, and I am too lazy to search.

Please help.

Edited
 
Hey guys. Just received my HTC Desire a week ago. What an awesome phone! I have a few questions though:

  1. How do I sync the HTC Desire to my Outlook profile using Bluetooth? I don't want to use a cable each time. Both the Desire and my laptop have Bluetooth, so it should be pretty simple, but I just can't figure it out. I have always been able to sync my Nokia N95 over bluetooth, and expect the same (and more) with the Desire. Is it possible to do this?
  2. I live in Joburg - where can I find nice cases / covers / protectors etc for my HTC Desire? What do you guys recommend? Are there any decent places online that I can buy from?
  3. Is it possible to use a clear plastic screen protector, or will it interfere with the performance of the capacitive touch screen?
  4. I became very accustomed to using Nokia PC suite with my N95. Does HTC have something similar? The HTC Sync app seems really primitive.

I know my questions have probably been answered on this thread already, but there are 43 pages to read through, and I am too lazy to search.

Please help.

1. Outlook sync can be done over the internet so you don't use blueteeth for syncing. Just enter your outlook server, email and password and it does the rest. It could not be easier. However... that only applies if you are using Outlook with an Exchange server email account. If you are using Oulook to retrieve pop3 email then you will have to sync with the HTC app.

2. Lab88 in Fourways.

4. One of the things I love about this phone is that you don't have to install any phone "crapware" on your PC to be able to sync the phone. Like I said before everything happens over the internet, so you don't even need to install much. I did however install the HTC drivers just to be able to do internet sharing/tethering with the device (ie 3G over your phone to the laptop) and also to access the memory card file system as an external drive on your PC.

Hope that helps
 
Got my desire for a week now , excellent phone. Disappointed with the Android store , was expecting to be able to at least get a few Paid apps.
Only other thing screen is a fingerprint magnet
Any tips for a new user?

EDIT: JUST read the entire thread.... all 645 posts..... I Love the Desire so much, I can't get enough of it.....
Now only if I could get an Unlimited DATA plan.... :D
 
Last edited:
Thanks dude. Can you please provide me with a name/link of the program you're talking about it?



How do I set this up? Is this the same program that alt146 was talking about? Does it sync Calendar and Contacts? I'm just thinking that sycing in this way is a bit convoluted, and prone to errors, inconsistancies, and conflicts between the 3 different applications (i.e. Google Calendar, Outlook, HTC Desire).

How well does it work for you?

So far so good. I don't really do anything hectic with calendars though. It's not quite as good a solution as a direct connection to the exchange server. If you can access exchange from the internet you can use HTC mail on the phone but I can't so haven't tried this. The google calendar sync syncs at a maximum of every 10 minutes so it's not really "pushing".
 
Okay, just got Quake 3 running on my phone. Can't control it, as it was made for keyboarded Android phones, but the Demo runs smooth, and got multi-player running, started a game on my pc and joined on the phone. Like a 1/2 second lag between the 2, but I kept running around on my pc in front of my phone player....hehehe! Could move my view, aim and shoot on the phone, but that was it. Now want to try Quake 2....
 
When I try to take a photo I get the following message is displaye

Unable to save file to SD card due to insufficient file permissions

Does anyone know why and how to fix this cause I was able to take photos previously
 
Hey guys. Just received my HTC Desire a week ago. What an awesome phone! I have a few questions though:

  1. How do I sync the HTC Desire to my Outlook profile using Bluetooth? I don't want to use a cable each time. Both the Desire and my laptop have Bluetooth, so it should be pretty simple, but I just can't figure it out. I have always been able to sync my Nokia N95 over bluetooth, and expect the same (and more) with the Desire. Is it possible to do this?
  2. I live in Joburg - where can I find nice cases / covers / protectors etc for my HTC Desire? What do you guys recommend? Are there any decent places online that I can buy from?
  3. Is it possible to use a clear plastic screen protector, or will it interfere with the performance of the capacitive touch screen?
  4. I became very accustomed to using Nokia PC suite with my N95. Does HTC have something similar? The HTC Sync app seems really primitive.

I know my questions have probably been answered on this thread already, but there are 43 pages to read through, and I am too lazy to search.

Please help.
All your other questions have been answered, however
If you search the Appmarket/Appbrain you can find various bluetooth sync software, but everyone is so right, blueteeth is so Y2K,

I have also come from a Nokia world, they have mis-guided is to learn that a fone has to be a certain way, and make us think it is easier, and funtions have to be done a certain way... now with Android, you are free... LOL kinda sounds like Electronic Apartheid, is now overfor me, LOL :D

Only other thing screen is a fingerprint magnet
Any tips for a new user?

EDIT: JUST read the entire thread.... all 645 posts..... I Love the Desire so much, I can't get enough of it.....
Now only if I could get an Unlimited DATA plan.... :D

My screen protector helps for fingerprints, only fingerprints i get is when it hits oily fingers
I got the uncapped mweb adsl package, works great considering you get 500 wifi minutes every month
 
All your other questions have been answered, however
If you search the Appmarket/Appbrain you can find various bluetooth sync software, but everyone is so right, blueteeth is so Y2K,

I have also come from a Nokia world, they have mis-guided is to learn that a fone has to be a certain way, and make us think it is easier, and funtions have to be done a certain way... now with Android, you are free... LOL kinda sounds like Electronic Apartheid, is now overfor me, LOL :D



My screen protector helps for fingerprints, only fingerprints i get is when it hits oily fingers
I got the uncapped mweb adsl package, works great considering you get 500 wifi minutes every month

where do you get access to the wifi besides the airports?
 
where do you get access to the wifi besides the airports?

Usually at coffee shops and restaurants. I am near the balalaika hotel in sandton, and where our building is, just in range of their wife, so i key in my mweb acc, and i am hooked up. Else you can search mybb for WUG, there is a jhb wug that you can join too
 
When I try to take a photo I get the following message is displaye

Unable to save file to SD card due to insufficient file permissions

Does anyone know why and how to fix this cause I was able to take photos previously

According to this forum

they suggest you put your sd card into your computer directly, copy everything off(backup all the folders), then try reformatting, then copy everything back. it usually fixes it. It might even be that there may be not enough space left on the card
 
Usually at coffee shops and restaurants. I am near the balalaika hotel in sandton, and where our building is, just in range of their wife, so i key in my mweb acc, and i am hooked up. Else you can search mybb for WUG, there is a jhb wug that you can join too

Um, i don't understand why you would like to connect to the WUG with your phone? The is not an ISP and this will not really do you any good other than being on the network with your phone. Another problem is that the WUG runs on 5.8Ghz (for the most part of it) and thus your phone wont be able to connect.
 
Um, i don't understand why you would like to connect to the WUG with your phone? The is not an ISP and this will not really do you any good other than being on the network with your phone. Another problem is that the WUG runs on 5.8Ghz (for the most part of it) and thus your phone wont be able to connect.

LOL, I didn't try connecting to the WUG yet, i didn't know it was limited... I was under the impression it was a wifi network that was shared by everyone, and it had internet access similar to what they may have overseas, where you could drive around with your iPhone and be connected to the world through WIFI...thanx for saving me the time to check it out...

however the mweb 500 free wifi minutes does come quite handy in coffee shops and hotels :)
 
Yeah, WUG is a complicated setup. You need to get a static ip from the WUGgers, and so forth. And the most important point...the only reason WUG is legal is because they DON'T share internet over it. Once they provide that service there are many legal issues. So with WUG one would just connect to a large network, which would be kind of pointless for net use. Bloody useful if you want to connect to your home network to remote into your pc or copy files from there....But I do suspect you would have to put up a WUG access point and a proper wireless router for it to work nicely.
 
Yeah, WUG is a complicated setup. You need to get a static ip from the WUGgers, and so forth. And the most important point...the only reason WUG is legal is because they DON'T share internet over it. Once they provide that service there are many legal issues. So with WUG one would just connect to a large network, which would be kind of pointless for net use. Bloody useful if you want to connect to your home network to remote into your pc or copy files from there....But I do suspect you would have to put up a WUG access point and a proper wireless router for it to work nicely.

You right WUG is pointless then, I suppose you could always VPN through the WUG to your PC at home, then use your uncapped ADSL via your VPN tunnel(which thankfully android allows)... 9 billion connections later you might just be connected.

too much work and effort, but it would be cool if everyone(specific elite group, strict membership only) had internet on it from uncapped adsl, and it was shared, then google maps would be king, but obviously some govt official would lose money so therefore it would be illegal.
 
According to this forum

they suggest you put your sd card into your computer directly, copy everything off(backup all the folders), then try reformatting, then copy everything back. it usually fixes it. It might even be that there may be not enough space left on the card

Also get that error sometimes. I just restart the phone and it's fine.

Also had a problem on saturday with the phone being stuck at 100% cpu usage and cpu clock at 1ghz which obviously means battery is in freefall. Even restarting it didn't help. Systempanel didn't show what was using the cpu though. Installed an app called "cpu usage" and it showed mediaserver as the culprit. Some googling later found that it was caused by the auto start feature in Nimbuzz. Turned that off in nimbuzz, restarted and now everything is fine. Rather strange because I've had nimbuzz on the phone with autostart for a while.
 
Also get that error sometimes. I just restart the phone and it's fine.

Also had a problem on saturday with the phone being stuck at 100% cpu usage and cpu clock at 1ghz which obviously means battery is in freefall. Even restarting it didn't help. Systempanel didn't show what was using the cpu though. Installed an app called "cpu usage" and it showed mediaserver as the culprit. Some googling later found that it was caused by the auto start feature in Nimbuzz. Turned that off in nimbuzz, restarted and now everything is fine. Rather strange because I've had nimbuzz on the phone with autostart for a while.

Thanx mate, I never got that error message but always wondered why my fone used to get sticky now and again. Nimbuzz is a hogger, but i couldn't pinpoint it...I just noticed the file size is massive for nimbuzz. Also my simcard would get quite hot at idle and on charge
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X