OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

Okay, so here's my experience so far with that Froyo ROM I installed this morning. It seemed fine, but there were little issues. The market was failing pretty hard, in that, I'd install an app, and it would only start installing 10 minutes later. Furthermore, I enabled Apps2SD and that caused a lot of problems with my apps. So now, I've re-flashed that ROM, and left apps to install to internal memory and MAN, this ROM is a beast now. So, so quick, and no issues whatsoever. Loving it now!
 
Okay, I have started my downloads for the rooting process. I did not want to, but Androidpolice had an article about it maybe taking till August for Froyo, which means Leaf might release it if we are lucky round about the time I am due for my next upgrade....

Got a Class 6 4gb card today, was so cheap...got some speed on it, but one wouldn't really notice unless you copy files to and from the phone like 10 times a day....it is however 3 times faster. Now I have 2 cards, 1 will be my gold card for in case, the other my normal card till I get my 16GB next week or month, depending. But the gold card will retire to my Tytn 2 running...um...still have to decide what version of Android. I want it to be fast, so might go down to Donut.

Any tips/tricks with the Rooting/Flashing roms? Downloading DJ Droid now, so will try that first. Must just say, I am stunned that the rooting file is so big! 257mb?! That is huge!!! Gonna take forever! So don't worry, I am sure I will get any tips/tricks you guys might have before I go about it. Will probably do it tomorrow night.

Just for info: I am on MTN. I suppose they are unlocked?
 
Okay, I am now thoroughly pissed off....I just put my work phone sim card in my Desire. Vodacom. Oh my word! The phone is fast, but internet, response time, everything is so much faster on Vodacom! I know MTN is not too good in my area, but I drive all over Pretoria every day....I have NEVER experienced the kinds of speed I just did on my Desire, regardless of where I am. So it is official for me: MTN is by far an inferior network. Good deals, crap services.
 
Now I have 2 cards, 1 will be my gold card for in case,
Just for info: I am on MTN. I suppose they are unlocked?
MTN Desires are unbranded. Like I've said twice already, unbranded phones don't need a Goldcard.


Any tips/tricks with the Rooting/Flashing roms?
Just follow the instructions :) Also, do nandroid backups when you're really happy with a ROM :)


Downloading DJ Droid now, so will try that first. Must just say,
You might want to try the DJ Droid modded ROM. It's got a whole lot of useless stuff removed. Check out XDA. If you decide not to, you MIGHT need to flash DJDroid twice. The first time I installed it, i had some issues. Second time it's perfect.


I am stunned that the rooting file is so big! 257mb?! That is huge!!! Gonna take forever! S
It's an entire operating system, not a "rooting file" ;)
 
Okay, I have started my downloads for the rooting process. I did not want to, but Androidpolice had an article about it maybe taking till August for Froyo, which means Leaf might release it if we are lucky round about the time I am due for my next upgrade....

Got a Class 6 4gb card today, was so cheap...got some speed on it, but one wouldn't really notice unless you copy files to and from the phone like 10 times a day....it is however 3 times faster. Now I have 2 cards, 1 will be my gold card for in case, the other my normal card till I get my 16GB next week or month, depending. But the gold card will retire to my Tytn 2 running...um...still have to decide what version of Android. I want it to be fast, so might go down to Donut.

Any tips/tricks with the Rooting/Flashing roms? Downloading DJ Droid now, so will try that first. Must just say, I am stunned that the rooting file is so big! 257mb?! That is huge!!! Gonna take forever! So don't worry, I am sure I will get any tips/tricks you guys might have before I go about it. Will probably do it tomorrow night.

Just for info: I am on MTN. I suppose they are unlocked?

Hey man, yeah rooting is the best option, you can always just unroot it when a official Froyo OTA is released here (if you want to). I have not had any issues with this DJDroid ROM, except that some apps that I have installed had widgets for the first while, and now the widgets are gone, can access the app fine but no widget... I will post the 2 problems I got while trying to root when I get to work just in case you get the same, but its 2 easy fixes.
 
Rooting problems I had:

Error 1:
forum said:
Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
... FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))

About to start flash...
< waiting for device >
sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
sending 'zip' (138708 KB)...

Solution 1:
I have a Vodacom phone and apparently mine needs a goldcard to root correctly, made my goldcard correct and then this was fixed.

Error 2:
forum said:
Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY
... OKAY

About to start flash...
< waiting for device >
sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zip'... IN****opting the signature contained in this image...
INFOsignature checking...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
INFOchecking custom ID...
INFOchecking main version...
INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...
INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...
INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0
INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100
INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...
INFOstart image[radio] flushing...
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100
FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)
sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

Solution 2:
The batch file looks like this inside (excluding the echo lines)

fastboot-windows.exe erase cache
fastboot-windows.exe oem rebootRUU

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip
fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

fastboot-windows.exe reboot-bootloader


You will notice the middle 2 lines look exactly the same, either run the 5 commands in cmd directly, or just add "sleep 10" without the quote marks between the identical 2 lines. The first one should give an error, then there should be a pause untill the HTC logo displays on the phone again, then the second one should go through fine.

Hope that helps.
 
does anyone have an easy way to backup everything including the SMS and apps?
 
does anyone have an easy way to backup everything including the SMS and apps?

I have made backups with MyBackup, the free 30day trail one, made backups of my apps (data and apk's) and I see it has the option to backup call logs, SMS, and basically everything else settings wise. Have not tried to restore the backups so thats all I know..

Oh and I'm downloading this ROM now, looks promising...
 
Last edited:
Magnetometer

I'm looking for specifications on the phones magnetometer. Anyone know where i might find hardware specifications for the desire - not the average consumer specs.

Specifically looking for operating range, and orientation.
 
Does anybody know what happens when I delete the " Data " from the contacts app? I need space and it's 10MB.my contacts are sync'd with my facebook.
 
Does anybody know what happens when I delete the " Data " from the contacts app? I need space and it's 10MB.my contacts are sync'd with my facebook.

I take it you are seeing this in the Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage Applications list?What exactly is the 'contacts app' called you are seeing?
 
I take it you are seeing this in the Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage Applications list?What exactly is the 'contacts app' called you are seeing?

It's called "contacts storage",It's 11.35mb in total,the app only being 640kb.I was thinking its mainly got to do with my contacts syncing with my facebook friends.it pulls profile pics and status' to my contacts.I was wondering what happens if I deleted the data.
Many Thanks.
 
Got my case, POS520, it's lovely, just what i was looking for.

Also picked up the invisiShield for the HTC desire, got frustrated and cut it up. At no fault of the product itself, just can't be bothered having lint under my screen, it just sends my OCD inclined brain into a meltdown. Unless you live in space, it's gonna happen. Also when you first clean your phone with the anti-lint cloth they give you, it leaves nice little blue lint balls on your screen, something you only notice once applied, then u take it off to remove them but they smudge and whatever dye was in the cloth now leaves a nice blue streak on the Shield, impossible to remove.

You live and you learn, with the case I shouldn't get scratches, and if I do, i'm over it ;)
 
Ah, yeah no don't clear that, thats the actual people thats displayed on your phone.
 
Hey man, yeah rooting is the best option, you can always just unroot it when a official Froyo OTA is released here (if you want to). I have not had any issues with this DJDroid ROM, except that some apps that I have installed had widgets for the first while, and now the widgets are gone, can access the app fine but no widget... I will post the 2 problems I got while trying to root when I get to work just in case you get the same, but its 2 easy fixes.

Im just checking, people here saying the DJ Droid ROM is around over 200Mb, the one on you link is 131Mb--------> are me getting the right ROM?
 
Im just checking, people here saying the DJ Droid ROM is around over 200Mb, the one on you link is 131Mb--------> are me getting the right ROM?

The one in my sig is the one I used. Think they just rounded the number off for some reason... 131mb ROM, and the Radio download (not sure what it does) is 11mb.
 
The one in my sig is the one I used. Think they just rounded the number off for some reason... 131mb ROM, and the Radio download (not sure what it does) is 11mb.

cool thanx im doing the flash right now :)

BTW: everyone, HTC desire and probably others too is not really a fone IMO, this thing is a proper computer with the added feature of a cellphone LOL :)

I saw somewhere someone was working on an app that uses your camera and tracks your hand movements as though you were using a mouse...I cant seem to find it now. but how cool is that
 
Rooted to Froyo successfully... I like very much, only wish i could update the boot screen animation to the original one, but not serious, im gonna check it out now, still setting up accounts etc, thank god for appbrain, I wonder how many of the apps I had will work though

Plurk? what is Plurk now LOL FB and twitter is already too much :)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X